stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

On 5/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Headlight washers fixed; what an absolute faff :mad: :roll: 

Both wheel arch liners ordered via BMW too; mine are so brittle they crack as soon as you look at them :(  They won't survive being taken off again unfortunately.

They've been ordered via BMW Cotswolds and BMW Germany; will be here in a few weeks I think

I didn't know Cotswold started up again.

Must message them about my my previous quote.

58 minutes ago, JCM said:

Best to call pal. They’re still on a skeleton staff

1 hour ago, JCM said:

4016A348-6A46-4C0D-80C9-A6A43AB0AF64.jpeg

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Best to call pal. They’re still on a skeleton staff

Which one? Cheltenham??

38 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Which one? Cheltenham??

BMW Cotswolds, forum sponsors 

Bought her a new outfit.

20200524_172442_resized.thumb.jpg.dc956bc91d3f0183a9af3425d0ef6839.jpg

I'm not furloughed or otherwise off the road, on the contrary I'm keyworker and haven't stopped since the apocalypse began. Used to have 1-2 work from home days a week previously, lucky if I've had one a week since March.

Problem is that there is a new housing estate being built about a mile from me here on the South Downs, and they dug up hundreds of tonnes of chalk when they started. Trucking it away was slow to begin with, even more so in recent weeks, and the wind carries loads of it from this giant white temporary mountain over the whole village. Every time I clean my car, 24 hours later it's coated in the stuff. It's even worse if there is rain or condensation forming overnight on the car, which then dries off and leaves nasty chalky deposits, looks shocking. Proper vexed about it, cleaned the car today - twice in the hope of reducing them a little - with little effect on the countless spots. . 

So it's this tasteful off the shoulder number (with matching car sponge with hole in on the roof around the antenna to spread the weight of the cover) until this building crap is over. I'll put up with the ballache of getting it off every day at half five in the morning over watching it get worse and worse.

So, anyone know any sure fire ways to get rid of water stains? I've heard limited to mixed results for vinegar. Also, I hate the smell of vinegar :(

Simple ion-echange, i.e.  washing soda; it shifts all forms of lime-based scale (e.e tea-scale in your mug, clouding on glasses in the dishwasher etc) because the sodium ions displace the calcium, and its so much more soluble it all washes off.

tl;dr: So I'd try a generous handful of washing soda in the bucket of warm car wash solution, see how you get on with that ;)

I was kinda enjoying the science of it all :D 

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Swapped over the wing mirrors to a set that actually works :) 

Cleaned them the best I could and gave all the moving parts a good clean and then liberal coating of lithium grease... Fingers crossed they stay working ;)