stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Engine mounts replaced today. Left side with smile on face, right side a lot more horrible job, but at least engine sitting straight again, and no more vibration to chassis. And took rear arch liners out, gave a good cleaning, all surface rust cleaned and treated and everything covered in vaxoil. Feeling ready for next winter:D

OEM BMW M5 grille fitted with the OEM star fixing clips (on the posts that were still present :lol: ) and brake calipers and brake disc hats painted satin black.

Had to do some guerilla engineering on the undertray too as part of it fell off last night (most of it came away when I was forced to drive through deep water back in Feb when we had those heavy rains etc; even though I was doing less than 5mph, the amount of water got on top of the tray and ripped part of it from its mountings); so that'll need to be replaced soon enough :roll: 

M5grille.jpg

On 16/05/2020 at 22:20, Ray112 said:

Took a longer drive today, enjoyed every mile. But one thing I noticed, while going down motorway with cruise control set to 70mph, when going low downhill car was decelerating which is normal feeling with cruise control on and going downhill, but then suddenly started to accelerate for like second, then again decelerating, then again accelerating. Like couple seconds each option, speedometer needle was steady, the same as rev counter. Really you can just feel like and only on downhill. Uphill or straight stretch of road running absolutely smoothly. Any ideas? It's 525d auto by the way.

Update: new engine mounts have sorted this problem.  

Having not washed it in nearly seven weeks now due to the alternator imploding, celebrated its return this evening with a good spruce up and detail. Lovely evening for it too.

Of course, a good few miles were needed afterwards (officer) to dry off all the nooks and crannies!

Old meets new outside my local Vines.20200520_201620_HDR-1.jpg.0fb14209acb17b919522ed4918f9e741.jpg20200520_201635_HDR-1.jpg.9d20bb12e0da77e38b156462e55ef851.jpg

On 5/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, Tomsontour said:

Finally got my m5 rep bumper on the front of the car, the old bumper had a pretty big ding on the passenger side. What a difference this new bumper makes, over the moon with it. But having it up in the air I really do need to get my tyres sorted so that'll be next payday and an alignment sorted too. New plate is on order, trying out the static plates, don't want to be drilling into this one if I can help it, just gotta hope I don't get pulled until it arrives as the plate is currently in the window :)

IMG_20200516_165113.jpg

IMG_20200516_165048.jpg

IMG_20200516_115346.jpg

Did you go 2nd hand OEM or 3rd party new?

Heater valve swapped out as the original one had stopped working

New OEM BMW undertray ordered via BMW Cotswolds too :) 

36 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

New OEM BMW undertray ordered via BMW Cotswolds too :) 

One kidney or both? I hear them things are expensive  :(

10 minutes ago, ger said:

One kidney or both? I hear them things are expensive  :(

Nope; just over £100 delivered from eBay Germany!

One step forward, ninety two steps back :lol::roll: :mad: 

Realised I'd not tested the headlight washers when I rebuilt the front bumper, I had deffo connected them.

Nipped to Waitrose for our weekly shop; tried the washers, no joy... Got. back onto the drive, tried them again, no joy, looked outside and a huge pool of water; tried them again and floodwaters...! 

Front corner undertray off and wheel arch liner out, the pipes snapped just above the quick release joint :roll: it's that brittle as soon as I touched it, it went to pieces!

So, thanks to Google search; this thread cropped up. 12mm ID piping ordered (and some cable ties) and fingers crossed, that'll sort it :)

Headlight washers fixed; what an absolute faff :mad: :roll: 

Both wheel arch liners ordered via BMW too; mine are so brittle they crack as soon as you look at them :(  They won't survive being taken off again unfortunately.

They've been ordered via BMW Cotswolds and BMW Germany; will be here in a few weeks I think

19 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Headlight washers fixed; what an absolute faff :mad: :roll: 

Both wheel arch liners ordered via BMW too; mine are so brittle they crack as soon as you look at them :(  They won't survive being taken off again unfortunately.

They've been ordered via BMW Cotswolds and BMW Germany; will be here in a few weeks I think

Any idea were they original ones or aftermarket? I know that arch liners on my SE can be twist and bent, but they still will be one piece, including front extensions. Maybe BMW used different type of plastic for sport models, but if so, they have made a step backwards there.

39 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Any idea were they original ones or aftermarket? I know that arch liners on my SE can be twist and bent, but they still will be one piece, including front extensions. Maybe BMW used different type of plastic for sport models, but if so, they have made a step backwards there.

Deffo OEM original, as they have the BMW markings, but the heat in Japan has got to them and they're just brittle now, not very pliable etc... They're ok for now, all screwed back into place, but they'll be better when replaced :) 

8 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Deffo OEM original, as they have the BMW markings, but the heat in Japan has got to them and they're just brittle now, not very pliable etc... They're ok for now, all screwed back into place, but they'll be better when replaced :) 

Forgot that yours were Jap import. Heat definitely is taking it's toll there. Few more people said the same, who has Jap imports. At least less rust than in UK;)

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Forgot that yours were Jap import. Heat definitely is taking it's toll there. Few more people said the same, who has Jap imports. At least less rust than in UK;)

Yup, absolutely corrosion/rust free... But the plastics underneath are very fragile!

The headlight washer pipe (from washer bottle to the first quick connection clip) was like egg shell! Soon as I touched it, it fell apart :roll: All sorted now (I hope) :lol: 

Classic rad end tank split fixed - yes, I know the rad is a service item by c 100Kmiles. This failed right on cue...

One German -made rad,, and 6L of oem coolant procured from C3 BMW... arrived yesterday. Swapped-out, filled and bled in all in about 45mins at lunchtime today.

god you have to love the e39's designed-in sheer simple service-ability!

IMG_2169-800px.jpg

13 hours ago, Huff said:

Classic rad end tank split fixed - yes, I know the rad is a service item by c 100Kmiles. This failed right on cue...

One German -made rad,, and 6L of oem coolant procured from C3 BMW... arrived yesterday. Swapped-out, filled and bled in all in about 45mins at lunchtime today.

god you have to love the e39's designed-in sheer simple service-ability!

IMG_2169-800px.jpg

Aargh! Mine has done ~180k & I’m not certain it’s been done!

best I have a good look round I think!!!

30 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Aargh! Mine has done ~180k & I’m not certain it’s been done!

best I have a good look round I think!!!

215k and still on original radiator, BMW logos and production year on it. But mines diesel, I believe petrols are running hotter, especially V8.

5 hours ago, Ray112 said:

215k and still on original radiator, BMW logos and production year on it. But mines diesel, I believe petrols are running hotter, especially V8.

You’re right. My V8 get up to temp v quickly and I always keep a sharp eye on the temp, knowing that the water pump is an Achilles heel of these motors.

R

Yes, the V8s run at 105degC +/- a couple of degrees. (the 6s are set 10dgrees cooler ime) It is supposed to help economy & part-load emissions (it's also, incidentally, why the thermostat has a heater - so the ECU can force the stat open to drop temps below that setpoint  if you are running the car hard, iirc.)

eleanorsskipper - you can just see the evidence of the split on mine, it's the chalky white line centred on the top edge of the tank visible (would have been on the right-hand-side in the car, under the top hose).  But unless you are getting the coolant level prompt now and then, not a cause for worry.

Edited by Huff

Ah yes. I had a 528 where that happened.

Got a new rad for £103 (from memory). Fitted it no probs & renewed their thermostat in the bmw agents car park. That was in Exeter, quite some time ago!

R

Following the above - took the thing out for a run today - to get properly hot, out in the wilds  - runs sweet as a nut: no leaks, no re-bleed, no top-up required.

Job jobbed ( & quite some relief it was all so relatively painless to do and no apparent collateral damage from coolant loss)

Edited by Huff