stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

6 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Even on a transporter that looks bloody lovely!

You know what Duncan? I thought that myself!

Edited by Loadmaster

1 hour ago, JCM said:

@d_a_n1979 what do you call the wheels you got on at the moment? Bbs LM reps?

They are, as per my signature :) 

Replaced the steering centre drag link and track rod ends today as the old drag link was creaking and groaning. I also fitted the standard springs back on at the front whilst I was in there as it was sitting a bit too low for my liking on the lowering springs. The steering feels superb now although I've changed so many parts under the car it really needs a four wheel alignment now. And at least I can get over speed bumps again now. :)

Nice. Very nice!

With the g/box refilled and a new filter fitted, she seems to drive beautifully!

Home issues prevail however. Car cleaning tomorrow!!!

R

Took a longer drive today, enjoyed every mile. But one thing I noticed, while going down motorway with cruise control set to 70mph, when going low downhill car was decelerating which is normal feeling with cruise control on and going downhill, but then suddenly started to accelerate for like second, then again decelerating, then again accelerating. Like couple seconds each option, speedometer needle was steady, the same as rev counter. Really you can just feel like and only on downhill. Uphill or straight stretch of road running absolutely smoothly. Any ideas? It's 525d auto by the way.

16 hours ago, NWJW said:

Replaced the steering centre drag link and track rod ends today as the old drag link was creaking and groaning. I also fitted the standard springs back on at the front whilst I was in there as it was sitting a bit too low for my liking on the lowering springs. The steering feels superb now although I've changed so many parts under the car it really needs a four wheel alignment now. And at least I can get over speed bumps again now. :)

What colour is she?

I’m wondering if a ‘black’ lacquer would be nice over the lighter green I have!

R

13 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

What colour is she?

R

Sounds like good chance it will start peal off not long after. Lacquer over old paint is not great idea. Yes, you can prepare old paintwork to take fresh coat of lacquer on top, but will all hassle involved, better to get it fully repainted then. At least then you can sort out all dents, scratches, stone chips, rurt bubbles etc. 

I made a tentative enquiry about having it resprayed, but it came in at about £4k so I parked the idea.

the guy said it’d cost at least £300 a panel to sort all the dings & scratches. I may just do a panel at a time.

I’d love it to be a really dark green though. Almost black, cos it’s been de-chromed already. I’m planning to get the new wheels redone in black too.

It keeps going on, doesn’t it?

R

16 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I made a tentative enquiry about having it resprayed, but it came in at about £4k so I parked the idea.

the guy said it’d cost at least £300 a panel to sort all the dings & scratches. I may just do a panel at a time.

I’d love it to be a really dark green though. Almost black, cos it’s been de-chromed already. I’m planning to get the new wheels redone in black too.

It keeps going on, doesn’t it?

R

You mean panel at a time resprayed? Biggest possible mistake to do, because colour won't be matching from panel to panel. And I doubt any paint shop would agree to do that at all. If £300 per panel is some kind of paintless restoration like polishing scratches, touch up chips and pulling out dents as much as possible, still sounds pricey. And for that money you can get it resprayed. Maybe it's worth to sneak for some more quotes for full respray. It still will be over 2k£ but 4 sounds little too much. Thought I haven't seen actual car, neither looked around for current bodywork prices.

4 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

What colour is she?

R

Oxford green, I wasn't really a fan of green cars when I bought it (I only bought it because it was going cheap!) but the colour's really grown on me, it needs to be seen in direct sunlight to really appreciate it, it's a really deep bottle green.

Finally got my m5 rep bumper on the front of the car, the old bumper had a pretty big ding on the passenger side. What a difference this new bumper makes, over the moon with it. But having it up in the air I really do need to get my tyres sorted so that'll be next payday and an alignment sorted too. New plate is on order, trying out the static plates, don't want to be drilling into this one if I can help it, just gotta hope I don't get pulled until it arrives as the plate is currently in the window :)

IMG_20200516_165113.jpg

IMG_20200516_165048.jpg

IMG_20200516_115346.jpg

Car has been sitting in the garage for the last week while our path was re-laid, didn't realise all the dust from cutting the paving slabs was finding it's way inside.....car was covered in a blanket of white dust :(  

155080496_2020-05-1317_19_04.jpg.2c163773ddb5372b752dc3d66b411f65.jpg

Carefully washed :)

520336714_2020-05-1717_25_48b.thumb.jpg.ab9493a22e70b359b5a10a474a930d2f.jpg

Edited by BarryM
Update

Engine mounts replaced today. Left side with smile on face, right side a lot more horrible job, but at least engine sitting straight again, and no more vibration to chassis. And took rear arch liners out, gave a good cleaning, all surface rust cleaned and treated and everything covered in vaxoil. Feeling ready for next winter:D

OEM BMW M5 grille fitted with the OEM star fixing clips (on the posts that were still present :lol: ) and brake calipers and brake disc hats painted satin black.

Had to do some guerilla engineering on the undertray too as part of it fell off last night (most of it came away when I was forced to drive through deep water back in Feb when we had those heavy rains etc; even though I was doing less than 5mph, the amount of water got on top of the tray and ripped part of it from its mountings); so that'll need to be replaced soon enough :roll: 

M5grille.jpg

On 16/05/2020 at 22:20, Ray112 said:

Took a longer drive today, enjoyed every mile. But one thing I noticed, while going down motorway with cruise control set to 70mph, when going low downhill car was decelerating which is normal feeling with cruise control on and going downhill, but then suddenly started to accelerate for like second, then again decelerating, then again accelerating. Like couple seconds each option, speedometer needle was steady, the same as rev counter. Really you can just feel like and only on downhill. Uphill or straight stretch of road running absolutely smoothly. Any ideas? It's 525d auto by the way.

Update: new engine mounts have sorted this problem.  

Having not washed it in nearly seven weeks now due to the alternator imploding, celebrated its return this evening with a good spruce up and detail. Lovely evening for it too.

Of course, a good few miles were needed afterwards (officer) to dry off all the nooks and crannies!

Old meets new outside my local Vines.20200520_201620_HDR-1.jpg.0fb14209acb17b919522ed4918f9e741.jpg20200520_201635_HDR-1.jpg.9d20bb12e0da77e38b156462e55ef851.jpg

On 5/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, Tomsontour said:

Finally got my m5 rep bumper on the front of the car, the old bumper had a pretty big ding on the passenger side. What a difference this new bumper makes, over the moon with it. But having it up in the air I really do need to get my tyres sorted so that'll be next payday and an alignment sorted too. New plate is on order, trying out the static plates, don't want to be drilling into this one if I can help it, just gotta hope I don't get pulled until it arrives as the plate is currently in the window :)

IMG_20200516_165113.jpg

IMG_20200516_165048.jpg

IMG_20200516_115346.jpg

Did you go 2nd hand OEM or 3rd party new?

Heater valve swapped out as the original one had stopped working

New OEM BMW undertray ordered via BMW Cotswolds too :) 

36 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

New OEM BMW undertray ordered via BMW Cotswolds too :) 

One kidney or both? I hear them things are expensive  :(

10 minutes ago, ger said:

One kidney or both? I hear them things are expensive  :(

Nope; just over £100 delivered from eBay Germany!