stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

2 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

@Ray112 you are a beautiful human bean ! 

it’s the black rubber one, so 8mm fuel hose. Any idea on what length you bought and where from? 

I can’t wait to buy some tomorrow, cut the old ones out and make it all nice and shiny!!

bloomin cars, like our women; can’t live with them, can’t live without them. 

10mm I ordered of eBay, but when realised I need 8mm as well, I found it locally on Halfords, but it was prior lockdown.  They are still open for click and collect service as far as I know. They have pack of 1meter length for around £5.

5 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

10mm I ordered of eBay, but when realised I need 8mm as well, I found it locally on Halfords, but it was prior lockdown.  They are still open for click and collect service as far as I know. They have pack of 1meter length for around £5.

looks like I managed to reserve the last one from my local Halfords FBA862EF-05D2-43AE-BA6E-145974559A04.thumb.png.c4fe0ba639aeb275fb7f5b84d0954227.png

I'm assuming this is the right one? I’ll check the next closest if they have one and if not, see if euros will do same day delivery. 

Thanks so much! 

NF aka Deepan

39061A79-1FD1-4756-9851-4C3974658110.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ray112 said:

I think that's the one I bought. 

It’s the only 1x8mm fuel hose they do by the looks of things. 

Was 1 metre enough or did you buy more? 

As this was the last one in stock, if I need to buy more, I’d have to go to the next store which is about 3 miles away. 

Thanks again. 
NF aka Deepan

7 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

It’s the only 1x8mm fuel hose they do by the looks of things. 

Was 1 metre enough or did you buy more? 

As this was the last one in stock, if I need to buy more, I’d have to go to the next store which is about 3 miles away. 

Thanks again. 
NF aka Deepan

I just replaced part from HP pump to T piece, 1 meter was way too much for me, especially because part was replaced with 10mm hose.  But you can't buy any less and it was handy later. I think you will be fine with 1 meter. 

8 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I just replaced part from HP pump to T piece, 1 meter was way too much for me, especially because part was replaced with 10mm hose.  But you can't buy any less and it was handy later. I think you will be fine with 1 meter. 

I'm replacing both parts, the t-piece and the braided hose going to each of the injectors. 

I just hope nothing else goes wrong. 

I'm assuming you replaced the metal clips with Jubilee's?

Cheers

NF aka Deepan

1 hour ago, NuckingFuts said:

I'm replacing both parts, the t-piece and the braided hose going to each of the injectors. 

I just hope nothing else goes wrong. 

I'm assuming you replaced the metal clips with Jubilee's?

Cheers

NF aka Deepan

Yes

22 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Yes

out of interest, the fuel line has a t-piece in the middle for the leak off line braided hose, what did you replace that with? 

C6C8CA1E-C59F-43CA-9140-C07F64A45E46.thumb.jpeg.638eeb74ca7aaaff8376f86aa42f6482.jpeg

circled in blue above.

I've just got a Brittle plastic <6mm connector in there while i wait for a brass replacement today / tomorrow. 

cheers

NF aka Deepan

26 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

out of interest, the fuel line has a t-piece in the middle for the leak off line braided hose, what did you replace that with? 

C6C8CA1E-C59F-43CA-9140-C07F64A45E46.thumb.jpeg.638eeb74ca7aaaff8376f86aa42f6482.jpeg

circled in blue above.

I've just got a Brittle plastic <6mm connector in there while i wait for a brass replacement today / tomorrow. 

cheers

NF aka Deepan

I was replacing just supply side, not return so didn't need to touch circled part, but there's one T piece as well between clear hoses. That one was really strong on mine, so kept original. 

So was 8mm good fitment? And will it be enough with 1meter?

1 minute ago, Ray112 said:

I was replacing just supply side, not return so didn't need to touch circled part, but there's one T piece as well between clear hoses. That one was really strong on mine, so kept original. 

So was 8mm good fitment? And will it be enough with 1meter?

8mm was perfect. Tight fit on both ends of the return side, and Halfords box of 8-10mm jubilees are a snug fit too so they worked out perfectly. Even with a bit of slack on both sides of the braided hose (pump side and pre-heater side) there’s still At least about 20-30cm left over if not a touch more. 1 metre was more than enough. 

im just about to put it all back together now and praying that my plastic replacement for the circled part holds up for the drive today and long enough to get the brass replacement fitted. #PrayForMe

9EFBA5F0-338B-48C3-A7E3-158BB1FB706A.thumb.jpeg.58ecff336cb3566314b3c46403c6ec31.jpeg

thanks again! It’s been a huge help! 
NF aka Deepan

D7A3E4A7-76D8-4724-9234-E9D493157083.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Glad it was right size. 

I may have spoken too soon, either the hose is too big, or the connectors are too small. 

ive had my temporary white join crack under the pressure of the fuel delivery, and the backup black one from the old braided hose return line piss out fuel from the microscopic gap in the hose from where it’s clamped on. 

im going to see if Halfords have a slightly larger braided hose, while I wait for these brass connectors to arrive, which should be today but somehow I doubt it. 

I hate cars

FF903832-9B03-4833-8714-C2C8482933D1.jpeg

9B3B45D8-F320-44F6-823C-3611E9BFF352.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Touch up pen will do it, just find colour as close matching as possible. If you know colour code, that perfect. 

Yep, the wheels are painted in BMW sparkling graphite, I'm waiting for my local Halfords to open so I can pop in for a touch up pen. :) 

Gave it a quick wash, needs polishing but did clay the roof - amazing how much crap comes of a seemingly clean car.

Needs a full detail but i did hoover it out and scrub the mats so the interior is more pleasant!

Have lots of bits stored up I've been meaning to fit (boot struts, hubs, speakers, bonnet cable) and some rust bubbles to deal with but hopefully i will get around to these now!

Tomorrow winters off i think.

IMG_0613.jpg

3 hours ago, NWJW said:

Thanks, green ones are the best! ;)

The beast is green too, just not as dark as yours.

I really need to start getting it sorted out too!

Well, I’ve bought a set (4) of style 66’s for the beast. 17” wheels that come with tyres.

paid £320 for them. Bargain?

anyway, I’ll run them as summer wheels & keep the 16” turbines for winter tyres.

next week I’m having the gearbox flushed etc, and in a few weeks I’ll have the suspension bushes done.

any idea on the source of the best bushes?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

R

7 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Well, I’ve bought a set (4) of style 66’s for the beast. 17” wheels that come with tyres.

paid £320 for them. Bargain?

anyway, I’ll run them as summer wheels & keep the 16” turbines for winter tyres.

next week I’m having the gearbox flushed etc, and in a few weeks I’ll have the suspension bushes done.

any idea on the source of the best bushes?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

R

Suspension bushes you mean whole suspension arms? Because I can't see point to do just bushes on these aluminium arms, if bushing is gone, balljoint won't be much better. 

14 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Suspension bushes you mean whole suspension arms? Because I can't see point to do just bushes on these aluminium arms, if bushing is gone, balljoint won't be much better. 

In agreement with this @eleanorsskipper

Stick with Meyle arms from C3BMW or BMWmotormec 

www.c3bmw.co.uk

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/BMW-MOTORMEC?_rdc=1

Moog are good also, you’ll be able to source them via your local motorfactors and on eBay too. Just get all relevant part numbers via RealOEM 

Hi guys,

Thank you!

The car is as original at the mo, so I thought, given it’s done 180k ish, that I could address the suspension issue with just replacing the bushes where they are!

Obviously I’m wrong!!

So, investigation will follow as to what exactly to replace. (Btw, from a previous post of mine you’ll realise that I will eventually need to replace the headlining in my touring!).

Anyway, since all sage advice on here has led me to the conclusion that I need to keep & update her, the Beast it to get all the tlc she deserves.

as I said, any and all advice is most gratefully received.

stay safe all,

R

Edited by eleanorsskipper
Spelling!

27 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Hi guys,

Thank you!

The car is as original at the mo, so I thought, given it’s done 180k ish, that I could address the suspension issue with just replacing the bushes where they are!

Obviously I’m wrong!!

So, investigation will follow as to what exactly to replace. (Btw, from a previous post of mine you’ll realise that I will eventually need to replace the headlining in my touring!).

Anyway, since all sage advice on here has led me to the conclusion that I need to keep & update her, the Beast it to get all the tlc she deserves.

as I said, any and all advice is most gratefully received.

stay safe all,

R

Your not wrong, it's just that it makes sense (and is a lot less hassle) to replace the arms rather than just single bushes :) 

Worth giving all the bolts a real good douse of either WD40 or Wurth Rost Off Ice a good week or 2 before you plan to do the work and spray them every few days, bit of a faff, but should help to penetrate and release all the rust that they'll be seized with!