stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Checked on mine - still broken... :(

It'll soon be sorted padwan :mrgreen: 

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Alternator back in place and running, took less than hour with all covers and undertray refitted, so quite simple job. I didn't remove fan either, more than plenty space to get belt back on pulleys on m57 engine. 

M57? Last time I checked it had an M62!  

Anyhow, it is currently only 'suspected' to be the alternator and it really is nothing I'm going to dig around under the car to remove. I also have no access to any test equipment to confirm the fault either.

The car can sit dormant for the time being, it's not a daily.     

Edited by Loadmaster

Not been fiddling with ours as it’s not really been in use with lock down. I have finished my mates so though I share those pictures instead. 
APixpJt.jpg

Itv4LtI.jpg

SE bumpers do repair a lot more easily than sports! 

XPkZJqt.jpg

LwLhfIf.jpg

pjWcELL.jpg

Shame he can’t drive it for a while now!

His jacking points were perfect, quite surprising given the rust on all the wheel arches bottoms / sill ends. 

29 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Not been fiddling with ours as it’s not really been in use with lock down. I have finished my mates so though I share those pictures instead. 
APixpJt.jpg

Itv4LtI.jpg

SE bumpers do repair a lot more easily than sports! 

XPkZJqt.jpg

LwLhfIf.jpg

pjWcELL.jpg

Shame he can’t drive it for a while now!

His jacking points were perfect, quite surprising given the rust on all the wheel arches bottoms / sill ends. 

Cracking job there. You wouldn't even notice it had been damaged.

Did you rattle can that?

1 hour ago, Marc_86 said:

Cracking job there. You wouldn't even notice it had been damaged.

Did you rattle can that?

Thanks, no I did that with a spray gun & compressor. I sand blasted the rust off too, much quicker than spending hours with deox gell as I did with ours when it was stuck in the garage up on axle stands. 

The rattle cans are much better these days though, if you have done it before I should think you could get smaller areas like this looking as good with them. I noticed you can even get 2k lacquer in spray can now (two compartments in the can). I did a quick job (not a BM) just using rattle cans & 1k & was amazed how well that turned out. 

On 12/04/2020 at 22:22, Neilb said:

Converted my ‘01 M5 to automatic headlights. Fitted the Rain Light Sensor to the windscreen, new headlight switch and fitted and coded a used LCM IIIB. My first time ever coding anything and it all works!  

3A5AF4E9-7021-4ECD-9119-FD75A410D04F.jpeg

Were you able to stick the prism for the new sensor on without any bubles between the window and the sensor?

Todays little job (still managed to lose skin of my knuckles too :roll: :lol: )

From Schmiedmann kidneys:

washedagain.jpg

TO OEM BMW kidneys:

kidneys.jpg

18 hours ago, Johan said:

Were you able to stick the prism for the new sensor on without any bubles between the window and the sensor?

It's not perfect but it'll do for now, the sensor is glass so theres no flex in it to squeeze air out. I've seen worse when Autoglass etc have changed them...

6 minutes ago, Neilb said:

It's not perfect but it'll do for now, the sensor is glass so theres no flex in it to squeeze air out. I've seen worse when Autoglass etc have changed them...

Don't press too hard on the glass, you wouldn't want to crack it, this has happened to some!

eg:

Love the original kindney grills!

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure not to push too hard.

Found that my rear washer jet (Touring) is not working. No pump noise, dead. 

Fuses checked OK, so looks like this weekend as well as removing rear pump for the sake of one PDC sensor, those bloody hinge covers on the tailgate are coming off again to check for broken wires to the boot latch sensor. 

[deep breath] I love my car I love my car I love my car I love my car 

On 15/04/2020 at 20:31, NWJW said:

As long as I've had my car I've had a problem with the heaters in that they've only blown lukewarm at best, with the drivers side always blowing colder than the passenger side, I've tried everything to sort the issue without success so far and was left with the worst case scenario; The heater matrix.....

..... So I've spent the last few days swapping it out and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!

My interior went from looking like this; 

To this.......

And at one point my kitchen looked this;

Out of curiosity I cut the old matrix open and it was definitely blocked; 

I'm not sure if it's been caused by someone mixing different types of antifreeze in the car, radweld or lack of coolant changes or a combination of all the above, there was evidence of radweld in and around the expansion bottle when I bought it.

Anyway, it's all back together now and everything still works (the amount of wiring I had to disconnect was quite daunting!) and it was very satisfying when I first started it and could feel heat coming through the vents before the temperature gauge had even started moving.  :)

I know this feeling as I swapped my interior from beige to black, very satisfying when it all goes back together.309057291_Dash2.jpg.f5147125c8e8f9bbd58161720915655d.jpg

Received all this the other day, a nice little comp prize (1 of 50) :) 

AGprize.jpg

So had to trial it ;) Used the Polar Blast snow foam before and it's superb. Never used the other stuff though. Just snow foamed and washed today & towel dried using the Ultra Shampoo; all blacks & tyres treated with Chemical Guys Trim/Tyre gel too :)  All glass cleaned with Autoglym Fast Glass too.

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

wash3.jpg

wash4.jpg

Received all this the other day, a nice little comp prize (1 of 50)  

AGprize.jpg&key=5aa1510bdcb89841a9db3d6b99bc54528c42bf9233db8f67fa319f2f1dffdea8

So had to trial it  Used the Polar Blast snow foam before and it's superb. Never used the other stuff though. Just snow foamed and washed today & towel dried using the Ultra Shampoo; all blacks & tyres treated with Chemical Guys Trim/Tyre gel too   All glass cleaned with Autoglym Fast Glass too.

wash1.jpg&key=197429580fb4e7da7f032c105cfae77845d1daccfffca4454c8d105ca9e3a5fb

wash2.jpg&key=b7607efe4879123dda870222dad8e07caa0d7719795d05925d4b103108eaf73a

wash3.jpg&key=0ab74f503425ce63aeb10a5a3eb2b2e07a50cbbb1ab736c2ada62bebe0717261

wash4.jpg&key=f0982c9d40e38a94ffa8f4a6c7868bbe3d0ae3b633eb6e11ee28f944a3daad08

What do you think of the AG new range? I thought the snowfoam was good, but not as thick as others.

the shampoo was very good, but the polar seal was very disappointing.

I found it to be really streaky even when apllied and dried correctly. Left horrible light bits on the rubber and was generally a pain for a few washes after. I used it a few times on old and new, protected and unprotected paint too. the only "quick seal" I semi like is the Carbon Collective Hybrid coating which is quite nice.

but also ways, car looks cracking! Good work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Ant89 said:

What do you think of the AG new range? I thought the snowfoam was good, but not as thick as others.

the shampoo was very good, but the polar seal was very disappointing.

I found it to be really streaky even when apllied and dried correctly. Left horrible light bits on the rubber and was generally a pain for a few washes after. I used it a few times on old and new, protected and unprotected paint too. the only "quick seal" I semi like is the Carbon Collective Hybrid coating which is quite nice.

but also ways, car looks cracking! Good work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

TBH haven’t used it and probably won’t on mind, will trial it in the wife’s Racing Jazz though :lol: :mrgreen:

The snow foam is superb I’ve found, 200ml of it to 1 litre of warm water, it sprays thick and sticky :oops: :lol: It’s better than Bilt Hamber, Chemical Guys and ProKleen IMO 

The shampoo is very good, very bubbly and washes well. No streaks after rinsing  either

Underside cill cover's removed today, all surface rust cleaned (mostly just around front jacking points, but was little spots, nothing serious). Rear jacking points were rewelded last summer, so looking all good there. Treated rust with some rust converter, hammerite paint and then underseal mastic all along underside of cills. Internally sprayed some protection wax. Those cills should last good while.

Otherwise everything looks nice and dry underneath, no leaks from engine or transmission. Slight wet spot around diff's drain plug, most likely seal needs replacing, but oil level is good, so not too worried about it. Last time I was under car at some time in September, good to see, nothing has gone wrong through winter period. 

7 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Have a good look at the loom whilst you are in there!

That I did, all looks nice and healthy. Soon as I dropped the new sensor in, the PDC system came back to life, job done. Hang my head in shame though as I admit I cheaped out and went for black sensors, couldn't find Slate Green ones anywhere (well, at a reasonable price at least). I can live with it.

30 minutes ago, Pzero said:

That I did, all looks nice and healthy. Soon as I dropped the new sensor in, the PDC system came back to life, job done. Hang my head in shame though as I admit I cheaped out and went for black sensors, couldn't find Slate Green ones anywhere (well, at a reasonable price at least). I can live with it.

Buy rattle can for tenner and spray over. That's what I did, can't see difference from rest of the bumper. Only thing, I did it before installing. If you don't want to remove bumper again, use some masking tape to cover bumper around sensor.

Now that's interesting... I did consider doing that before fitting them, but seeing as I'm used to PDC sensors sometimes playing up after just a good jet washing, didn't think they would be happy about getting paint on that open outer ring. Couldn't come up with any practical / fool proof way of avoiding getting paint on there, so didn't bother.

If only I had asked if anyone else had tried painting them first with no issues!

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

Now that's interesting... I did consider doing that before fitting them, but seeing as I'm used to PDC sensors sometimes playing up after just a good jet washing, didn't think they would be happy about getting paint on that open outer ring. Couldn't come up with any practical / fool proof way of avoiding getting paint on there, so didn't bother.

If only I had asked if anyone else had tried painting them first with no issues!

Try to spray a thin layer of pigment and thin layer of clear coat, if you have one. If not, just pigment will do it. All them sensors are painted either at production stage or later, the same thing happens in bodyshops after accidents with replacement parts. I tried my sensor unpainted, just to be sure it's working at all, because first one was faulty delivered (China one's) and when second sensor was working fine, I sprayed it. Didn't noticed any difference before/after painting. Loads of information in internet about painting parking sensors. 

Edited by Ray112