stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ what's the rationale? How do they feel better?

The front cylinder is a little larger in diameter than the E39, 26.99 mm to 25.40 mm.

That extra oil displacement takes up the pedal slack, improving pedal feel and feedback. 

Transferred force is slightly reduced, but the braided brake lines help mitigate this. I have not noticed a need to push harder.

Interesting so it eliminates some dead travel? Giving them a sharper feel? 

I find them a bit soft on initial pressing (all bled ok) compared to our other car. 

23 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Interesting so it eliminates some dead travel? Giving them a sharper feel?

Exactly. I don't have any noticeable dead travel at all now.

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Interesting. Is it the same MC on all models? Ie does this mod apply for all?

As far as I can tell, it is the same for all,  the M5 to the 520i (mine is a 530d).

The E39 stock MC is 34311165544. The E65 MC is 34336785926, or the later 34336797650.

I've got a bit more on it in my project thread.    

38 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Drove through some sodding massive puddles in the storm today, the winter tyres are very good at dispersing the water, very glad to have them on! 

You & me both pal...

Preston to Dunkeld this afternoon, torrential rain and serious wind all the way up the M6, only really calmed down as we got onto the M80 heading towards Perth etc...

Were forecast some snow this week, fingers crossed it’s properly decent snow so I can at least brag about having decent winter tyres :lol: Need them as well as I’m aiming to lift the Inver Stone in Crathie this week, so need to get there as it’s up a windy B road in the middle of nowhere!

Edited by d_a_n1979

2 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Drove through some sodding massive puddles in the storm today, the winter tyres are very good at dispersing the water, very glad to have them on! 

One truth I have learned through the years: every tyre is great on dispersing water while they have about 6+mm left, and everything below 5mm you start to feel more aqua planing on deeper puddles and even not so deep ones, even on reputable brands. That's why in countries where winter tyres are requested by law, they must be at least 4mm thread left on them during winter conditions. I'm on some random budget tyres right now, about 2 months old, still with about 7mm or so, and doing A and B class roads today wasn't a problem at all even with exceeded speed limit, I just enjoyed driving while chasing the storm and waves down the coast line.

12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You & me both pal...

Preston to Dunkeld this afternoon, torrential rain and serious wind all the way up the M6, only really calmed down as we got onto the M80 heading towards Perth etc...

Were forecast some snow this week, fingers crossed it’s properly decent snow so I can at least brag about having decent winter tyres :lol: Need them as well as I’m aiming to lift the Inver Stone in Crathie this week, so need to get there as it’s up a windy B road in the middle of nowhere!

Hope you do get to try them in the snow, I’m sure if you’re going to find any it’s going to be up there! Hope you get that stone lifted too. I’ve been a bit disappointed not to get to try them for the last couple of years here.
I did have them just on the back a few years ago when we last had some decent snow when the E39 was just a backup car & not getting used much, I took my son out just for the sake of it, we had great fun stopping to help push lots of people with front wheel drive cars up very slight slopes they couldn’t move on then driving off no problem in the E39! I think modern tyres with those bands of rubber & almost no blocks are much worse in snow + FWD cars are all getting much heavier, isn’t doing them any favours. 
Its effective having them just on the back but stopping is interesting, plus it takes some of the fun out of drifting! They are on all 4 corners this year. 

23 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Hope you do get to try them in the snow, I’m sure if you’re going to find any it’s going to be up there! Hope you get that stone lifted too. I’ve been a bit disappointed not to get to try them for the last couple of years here.
I did have them just on the back a few years ago when we last had some decent snow when the E39 was just a backup car & not getting used much, I took my son out just for the sake of it, we had great fun stopping to help push lots of people with front wheel drive cars up very slight slopes they couldn’t move on then driving off no problem in the E39! I think modern tyres with those bands of rubber & almost no blocks are much worse in snow + FWD cars are all getting much heavier, isn’t doing them any favours. 
Its effective having them just on the back but stopping is interesting, plus it takes some of the fun out of drifting! They are on all 4 corners this year. 

Well, as i type this its snowing and coming down quite heavily now :) Unfortunately that means no trip to Crathie to get to the Inver Stone as it’s too risky to fit it in this. If its snowed and frozen, but dry, that’s fine. But not doing it whilst it’s snowing and wet... Last thing I need is a 125kg stone dropped on me head/toes :lol: 

It’s probably a day for walking along the river into Dunkeld today and supping beer in the Tay Bank next to the roaring fire ;) But the tyres will soon get tested, more so on the drive down from the house as its steep, winding and narrow... I might test the handbrake too ;):mrgreen: 

Had my application accepted by Goodwood for their first Breakfast Club meeting of 2020 on 1st March - Vee Power Sunday.

Extremely chuffed that I can display on the track's start/finish straight! :D

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Had my application accepted by Goodwood for their first Breakfast Club meeting of 2020 on 1st March - Vee Power Sunday.

Nice, wish I'd seen that sooner - the only breakfast meet I was booked on was for V8s a year or so back that got cancelled :(

A good drive up the A9 today from Dunkeld to Dalwhinnie & Newtonmore to lift 2 more of the Scottish Manhood stones... The winter tyres certainly justified their cost today too :mrgreen:

Dalwhinnie Stone lift:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UmBz5dDAUW64oGm8

IMG-20200212-140237-440.jpg

IMG-20200212-140237-439.jpg

20200212-134052.jpg

20200212-134044.jpg

20200212-133153.jpg

Some fantastic scenery up there; lots of snow and 0ºC temps, colder than that at times and even more so when the wind picked up!

Edited by d_a_n1979

On 11/02/2020 at 15:15, Loadmaster said:

Great news, I’ll see you there :)

Fitted new front foglights this morning - yay!

Copped a stone in the windscreen at 70mph a few hours later - boo.

Autoglass via insurer said they could send someone round tonight - yay!

Phoned them to confirm appointment after some hours, only to be told that the engineers have finished for the day and they should never have booked my appointment - $@*£!

Found an ECP receipt for my E39.

On the 16th March 2007, I paid £22 for a pair of carbon pollen filters and £41 for a front ABS sensor. I thought I put all the paperwork in one folder before I got rid of it 6 months later. Obviously not.

Still, happy memories of a lovely car which is now baked bean cans.

P6170005.jpg

49 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Found an ECP receipt for my E39.

On the 16th March 2007, I paid £22 for a pair of carbon pollen filters and £41 for a front ABS sensor. I thought I put all the paperwork in one folder before I got rid of it 6 months later. Obviously not.

Still, happy memories of a lovely car which is now baked bean cans.

P6170005.jpg

£22 for a pair sounds cheap, I think they each are about that price now after discount code added.

Managed to change the stat, water pump (wanted a metal impeller in there!) and belts on Friday before the storm came in.  

Temperature gauge now sits nice and central when travelling at speed, within legal limits obviously, and a great deal more peace of mind.

25 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

£22 for a pair sounds cheap, I think they each are about that price now after discount code added.

I remeber fitting the ABS sensor as it was the first 'car' job I ever did in the garage of my current house, we had not long moved in but can't recall fitting the filters. I also found a print out from Euro car parts I made showing all the different brake pad and disc offers. Back then the last digit of the part number meant something, like genuine or OEM etc etc. 

Unlike now where they are very expensive until you put in a code, which they don't honour the next day when you can get to them to pick it up.

Robbin Bastar......

On 11 February 2020 at 15:15, Loadmaster said:

Just got my application approved too - going to take a 5.7 V12 along.

14 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Just got my application approved too - going to take a 5.7 V12 along.

What do you reckon of the price of this Alpina..?

https://walkersautotech.co.uk/used-bmw-west-sussex/bmw-e39-alpina-b10-v8-s-4-8-auto