stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Car wasn't running smoothly and then left for four days without running and it had a dead battery, just the click, click, click.  I bought a new Bosch battery about 8 months ago and twice I'd been let down where it wouldn't start as it the solenoid had gone as when I put it in gear and nudged it, it started.  Meaning it had to be the alternator.  I charged the battery overnight and fitted a new Delco Remy Battery which when I got back from my local motor factorys, Lloyds in South Harrow it had Bosch on the casing so quite chuffed with that.  FItted it yesterday afternoon and also changed the clamps on the power steering resevoir as they had clearly been leaking. Once fitted and checked,  I noticed the car appears to run a lot more smoothly which I put down to it having a better spark at the plugs.

Not a bad job, about 90 mins in total as I took my time with the power steering leak and cleaned up a bit whilst down there.  Also cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner as well as the air filter housing and filter.

alternator 1.jpg

alternator.jpg

alternator2.jpg

With my research into improving my headlights...I've found out this morning that my headlights have been set to LHD all this time.

Flicked them the opposite way as per the manual...wonder if this will improve my light output on the road???

Front lower wishbones replaced, original ones had 207k miles on them, balljoints still solid, but bushings completely gone. Job itself wasn't too bad, one side balljoint jumped out itself, needed to hold it with allen key to get nut off, other side needed a bit of help with malet, jumped out together with seat, which came off easily with balljoint splitter (screw type). Took about 2,5 hours doing first time on driveway with jackstands, so happy with this. Difference is quite big, steering is much more exact, brake vibration has nearly disappeared, but anyway brake discs are next due to replacement on front. 

On 07/12/2019 at 16:45, Dbcrd said:

Fitted the winter wheels and tyres with the help of my son.  A bit later than normal.  17 inch m parallel wheels put away and 16 inch se wheels with directional tyres on until April.  

Then did some more on the touring reverse camera project.  Camera next to the boot handle.  Transmitter inside tailgate fed from a relay where the CD changer used to be.  All working now.  Had to modify the camera to fit the boot handle trim section.  Reason for wireless is to minimise wires through tailgate hinge.  Just silicon power leads.  The wires that come with the cameras don't look like they would last long flexing across the tailgate hinge.

Front and rear transmitter and receiver both take power from reverse signal emanating from lcm.  Just need to put the titan silver trim piece on once a gasket comes from Cotswold.

I'll post a picture when all done.  Some rust encountered along the way.  Some I've treated and some will need dealing with later.  Not as much as many tailgates I've seen on the forums.20191110_123954.thumb.jpg.07261c84a37671f51fa83e2544ea6fb6.jpg20191110_123941.thumb.jpg.2968ec69deddfa9f217fcc26a3f78a7e.jpg20191110_123951.thumb.jpg.8cfe7050ddecf76563cc27a47ecbed8e.jpg20191201_114421.thumb.jpg.760a45d5e021ef2b3170450d86b34b2f.jpg20191201_114438.thumb.jpg.1b68703730896978e7e16ad8481e3b78.jpg

Finished the camera project.  Used the old plastic body coloured trim panel to avoid the need for paintwork.  It was quite difficult to get off the broken original handle being sealed with some sort of resin and sealant.

20191215_141731.thumb.jpg.e95948f1140489be2d6e00b3d3a0cf32.jpg20191215_141743.thumb.jpg.6684b6ae617b13ffb0be3b0b448e5516.jpg20191215_152103.thumb.jpg.d9bcaef535ebf5d448bd89d3a0485803.jpg

Bought a used e39 Alpina boot spoiler and a new repro Alpina front spoiler, both from eBay. The front one I will remove the Alpina script as I'm not making out my car is an Alpina but I like its design.

14 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Admired it as i walked past.

What, mine? 

When were you local? 

:lol::mrgreen:

Put my M5 through it's MOT on Saturday (technically not today!).  Passed although I need to fix the non-existent drivers side handbrake, the diff is leaking from the input seal and my seat belt clips on the front seats are a bit old and knackered.  Anyone know if you can disassemble and clean these?

I'll be dropping the subframe in the new year and doing the diff seals x3, diff/subframe bushes with powerflex items and new handbrake shoes I think, probably discs while I'm there.

29 minutes ago, DatV8 said:

Put my M5 through it's MOT on Saturday (technically not today!).  Passed although I need to fix the non-existent drivers side handbrake, the diff is leaking from the input seal and my seat belt clips on the front seats are a bit old and knackered.  Anyone know if you can disassemble and clean these?

I'll be dropping the subframe in the new year and doing the diff seals x3, diff/subframe bushes with powerflex items and new handbrake shoes I think, probably discs while I'm there.

While subframe is off, maybe good idea would be to drop fuel tank and check body for corrosion, and treat where necessary. And install new brake lines while everything is off and you got easy access. Of course if that's not been done already. Anyway, good to know friendly tester, if you get it through without handbrake on one side.

Wrote "DIESEL" inside filler flap after i got a call from the wife asking: "your silver car is diesel right?"

Shows firstly how rarely she fills it, relying on the diesel pixies and screen wash fairies but secondly how smart she is to ask the question B)

My wife has filled her smax up 2 times with petrol and it’s diesel! Luckily she’s with sheilas wheels and misfueling cover comes standard! 

just waiting for the next time! 

to be fair she used to have an e39 petrol for years and e46 before that also petrol so diesel is a new thing for us!

Changed the alternator today on my 528, dim headlights and the battery symbol flickering, didn't want to risk it. Nice easy job and done in less then an hour, just need to remember to take the old one back to euro car parts which means it'll have cost me 41 quid. The one removed had been on since new, 190k certainly be taking the old girl past 200k next year. Well it is my daily and shall be treating it to new suspension, brakes and everything that goes along with it. Expensive yes, but I do love that car 

19 hours ago, Ray112 said:

While subframe is off, maybe good idea would be to drop fuel tank and check body for corrosion, and treat where necessary. And install new brake lines while everything is off and you got easy access. Of course if that's not been done already. Anyway, good to know friendly tester, if you get it through without handbrake on one side.

Had the underside of the beast done when the brake pipes failed last time.

Now I’ve lost the reversing lights, so that’ll be done in the new year.

Since it’s done about 180k now, I’ll sort the potential water pump and hoses issue & a g/box drain & refill then too.

Of course I’ll need to do the subframe bushes as well!

The list goes on!!!

Edited by eleanorsskipper

Replaced the USB cable from my Android Auto head unit to phone, after getting a new phone with USB-C rather than the old Micro USB which I had fitted lead for previously. Forgot just how well I 'stealthed' it when I first did it though, and what I expected to take half an hour took considerably longer. My suspicion of this car bearing an ancient Egyptian curse was once again proven, as after I put everything back together, realised that I must had snagged and disconnected a lead, and had to have the whole lot out again. 

Note to self - when planning a '10 minute job', allow two hours.

20191218_135113.thumb.jpg.c4969384f3cdcbb1ad9e3dd1a9cb05ac.jpg

2 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Had the underside of the beast done when the brake pipes failed last time.

Now I’ve lost the reversing lights, so that’ll be done in the new year.

Since it’s done about 180k now, I’ll sort the potential water pump and hoses issue & a g/box drain & refill then too.

Of course I’ll need to do the subframe bushes as well!

The list goes on!!!

Ignore if you already know the cause of your having lost the reversing lights but it might be the harness in the tailgate hinge.  If so there is a lot of good advice available.  The best being in my view to replace the section with a silicone insulated replacement at about £40 rather than the oem.

On 17/12/2019 at 22:20, duncan-uk said:

Shows firstly how rarely she fills it......................

My wife (and daughters) don't "do" fuelling, so I'm relied upon/nominated as "Chief Fleet Refueller" :roll:

Luckily, I don't mind...  :lol: