stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

We are currently having the roofs of our flats replaced. Not sure what’s best, rain or snow.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, DerekJr. said:

Bought a truck horn for the e39.

Ordered some sports black leather heated front seats to be picked up this weekend.

Like, air? Compressor? Tank etc? The eBay ones are shite, mine has lasted a few months in the arch so I'm moving them into the bay.  The noise with two compressors is good.  Three should be good this time! 

Exhaust fixed (downpipe to mid section gaskets) and now sounds as it should. Incidentally, the garage ordered two lots of pattern part gaskets from two separate suppliers, and both were wrong. They ended up going to BMW in the end! 

Replaced battery finally which I've been battling with for a few years now (jump starts and charging) with a beasty 100ah and 920cca rating...4 year warranty too...all for a little sum of £60. :D

Also ordered some new d2s bulbs as the lumex ones I bought a year ago have started to develop warm/yellow spots which can also be seen when inspecting the bulb???

49 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Replaced battery finally which I've been battling with for a few years now (jump starts and charging) with a beasty 100ah and 920cca rating...4 year warranty too...all for a little sum of £60. :D

Also ordered some new d2s bulbs as the lumex ones I bought a year ago have started to develop warm/yellow spots which can also be seen when inspecting the bulb???

Which bulbs did you go for. 

I've ordered the 8000k ones, just interested to see how they look. 

Also have the Osram Xenarc ones in the garage that I've not touched... 

16 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

More info please!

15 hours ago, adam- said:

Like, air? Compressor? Tank etc? The eBay ones are shite, mine has lasted a few months in the arch so I'm moving them into the bay.  The noise with two compressors is good.  Three should be good this time! 

Found it in an E39 that's being scraped so I have no idea on make or model. All I know is that the horn is silver/chrome and feels like metal (opposed to plastic). It is louder than a car horn and it comes with a compressor :) I still have to fit it yet...I'm thinking somewhere in the engine bay or behind the bumper, roughly where the OEM horn sit.

10 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Which bulbs did you go for. 

I've ordered the 8000k ones, just interested to see how they look. 

Also have the Osram Xenarc ones in the garage that I've not touched... 

Just the same for now mate...another set of lumex until I find an alternative.

1 hour ago, Marc_86 said:

Just the same for now mate...another set of lumex until I find an alternative.

Aye; for £24 they're worth buying and in 2 sets, always good to have spares :)

These are the Osram ones I've got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XENARC-BREAKER-brightness-discharge-66240XNL-HCB/dp/B07FYTN7VF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=osram+d2s&qid=1575619957&s=automotive&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=1-4

Ignore the poor feedback; it's generally idiots that leave bad feedback because they've bought the wrong bulbs or, they've unfortunately had a failed bulb but not used their brain and sent them back to have them replaced :roll: 

These are supposed to be good too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XENARC-INTENSE-discharge-66240CBI-HCB-Duobox/dp/B0068M1DRS/ref=pd_sbs_263_2/257-5629644-1722147?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0068M1DRS&pd_rd_r=d21bb70a-8db2-4f64-920e-f9b05d7938d7&pd_rd_w=KXU6y&pd_rd_wg=38PFx&pf_rd_p=f4a31d1d-8f61-48f5-b6f4-a22ba06df575&pf_rd_r=HDCCYWX7ZZKHAZFD4TV8&refRID=HDCCYWX7ZZKHAZFD4TV8&th=1

Bloody pricey though! 

5 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Aye; for £24 they're worth buying and in 2 sets, always good to have spares :)

These are the Osram ones I've got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XENARC-BREAKER-brightness-discharge-66240XNL-HCB/dp/B07FYTN7VF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=osram+d2s&qid=1575619957&s=automotive&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=1-4

Ignore the poor feedback; it's generally idiots that leave bad feedback because they've bought the wrong bulbs or, they've unfortunately had a failed bulb but not used their brain and sent them back to have them replaced :roll: 

These are supposed to be good too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XENARC-INTENSE-discharge-66240CBI-HCB-Duobox/dp/B0068M1DRS/ref=pd_sbs_263_2/257-5629644-1722147?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0068M1DRS&pd_rd_r=d21bb70a-8db2-4f64-920e-f9b05d7938d7&pd_rd_w=KXU6y&pd_rd_wg=38PFx&pf_rd_p=f4a31d1d-8f61-48f5-b6f4-a22ba06df575&pf_rd_r=HDCCYWX7ZZKHAZFD4TV8&refRID=HDCCYWX7ZZKHAZFD4TV8&th=1

Bloody pricey though! 

My thoughts exactly...had no issues in 12 months so thought why not.

The ones you posted are pricey mind...wonder if they are worth it?

I've always found my oem xenons to be poor imho. Polished lenses a couple of times and replaced adjusters as well as going through about 6 sets of bulbs in 4 years (no failures...just looking for brighter offerings)...still dont give me much confidence at night.

23 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

My thoughts exactly...had no issues in 12 months so thought why not.

The ones you posted are pricey mind...wonder if they are worth it?

I've always found my oem xenons to be poor imho. Polished lenses a couple of times and replaced adjusters as well as going through about 6 sets of bulbs in 4 years (no failures...just looking for brighter offerings)...still dont give me much confidence at night.

Yeah; think overall their design is the issue. The headlights on my previous 730D were amazing.

However, when I got my current touring and fitted the headlights, I ran standard Osram Nightbreaker H7s and they actually felt much brighter than the D2S 6000k xenons.

I may swap them over and see if there is a marked difference; I doubt it though

Re the Osram prices; yeah, they're steep, but also paying for their name too!

The 1999 BMW 5 series brochure turned up. Now I know what it feels like when people were buying a brand new e39 back in 1999. I do love the pull out pages lol. I didn't know there were two different fabric seats offered. There are a few colors I haven't seen before, too.

Exterior Paint:

1) Royal Red 390

2) Dark Blue 263 (non-metallic)

Upholstery:

1) Marine Blue

2) Biarritz Blue 

3) Sienna Red

4) Light Yellow

10 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

I’ve always found my oem xenons to be poor imho. Polished lenses a couple of times and replaced adjusters as well as going through about 6 sets of bulbs in 4 years (no failures...just looking for brighter offerings)...still dont give me much confidence at night.

10 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yeah; think overall their design is the issue

I cant agree, although they’re nearly 20yo the xenon are miles better than any halogen bulbs. I fitted new Phillips Xtreme vision 4300k bulbs about a year ago after one of the xenon bulbs failed after 6 years.

37 minutes ago, BarryM said:

I cant agree, although they’re nearly 20yo the xenon are miles better than any halogen bulbs. I fitted new Phillips Xtreme vision 4300k bulbs about a year ago after one of the xenon bulbs failed after 6 years.

You get me wrong. I still think the headlights are very good, but they’re not as bright as other xenon headlights I’ve run. So my guess is re their design

Fitted the winter wheels and tyres with the help of my son.  A bit later than normal.  17 inch m parallel wheels put away and 16 inch se wheels with directional tyres on until April.  

Then did some more on the touring reverse camera project.  Camera next to the boot handle.  Transmitter inside tailgate fed from a relay where the CD changer used to be.  All working now.  Had to modify the camera to fit the boot handle trim section.  Reason for wireless is to minimise wires through tailgate hinge.  Just silicon power leads.  The wires that come with the cameras don't look like they would last long flexing across the tailgate hinge.

Front and rear transmitter and receiver both take power from reverse signal emanating from lcm.  Just need to put the titan silver trim piece on once a gasket comes from Cotswold.

I'll post a picture when all done.  Some rust encountered along the way.  Some I've treated and some will need dealing with later.  Not as much as many tailgates I've seen on the forums.20191110_123954.thumb.jpg.07261c84a37671f51fa83e2544ea6fb6.jpg20191110_123941.thumb.jpg.2968ec69deddfa9f217fcc26a3f78a7e.jpg20191110_123951.thumb.jpg.8cfe7050ddecf76563cc27a47ecbed8e.jpg20191201_114421.thumb.jpg.760a45d5e021ef2b3170450d86b34b2f.jpg20191201_114438.thumb.jpg.1b68703730896978e7e16ad8481e3b78.jpg

Edited by Dbcrd

Got my airbag recall done today. 

Dealer gave the car a clean bill of health apart from pointing out the oil leak which I know I have to deal with. 

6 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Got my airbag recall done today. 

Dealer gave the car a clean bill of health apart from pointing out the oil leak which I know I have to deal with. 

If your car has original sport steering wheel airbag it would be interesting to see the sticker at the back of it so that really is not the version which should have been replaced.

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

Fitted the winter wheels and tyres with the help of my son.  A bit later than normal.  17 inch m parallel wheels put away and 16 inch se wheels with directional tyres on until April.  

Then did some more on the touring reverse camera project.  Camera next to the boot handle.  Transmitter inside tailgate fed from a relay where the CD changer used to be.  All working now.  Had to modify the camera to fit the boot handle trim section.  Reason for wireless is to minimise wires through tailgate hinge.  Just silicon power leads.  The wires that come with the cameras don't look like they would last long flexing across the tailgate hinge.

Front and rear transmitter and receiver both take power from reverse signal emanating from lcm.  Just need to put the titan silver trim piece on once a gasket comes from Cotswold.

I'll post a picture when all done.  Some rust encountered along the way.  Some I've treated and some will need dealing with later.  Not as much as many tailgates I've seen on the forums.20191110_123954.thumb.jpg.07261c84a37671f51fa83e2544ea6fb6.jpg20191110_123941.thumb.jpg.2968ec69deddfa9f217fcc26a3f78a7e.jpg20191110_123951.thumb.jpg.8cfe7050ddecf76563cc27a47ecbed8e.jpg20191201_114421.thumb.jpg.760a45d5e021ef2b3170450d86b34b2f.jpg20191201_114438.thumb.jpg.1b68703730896978e7e16ad8481e3b78.jpg

Would you be able to do a write up for this? I have a wireless one that connects to my dash mounted iPad to go on and it would be good to to see how you’ve done it

Went out to a flat battery during the week so plugged in the CTEK but got a red light saying the battery wouldn't hold charge, decided to start the process again and next time it said the battery had got to full charge so fingers crossed it's gonna be fine. I have a Bosch S5 which is 3 years old so with a 5 year warranty I was ready to get it replaced......let's see what happens when the cold weather returns!

4 minutes ago, BarryM said:

Went out to a flat battery during the week so plugged in the CTEK but got a red light saying the battery wouldn't hold charge, decided to start the process again and next time it said the battery had got to full charge so fingers crossed it's gonna be fine. I have a Bosch S5 which is 3 years old so with a 5 year warranty I was ready to get it replaced......let's see what happens when the cold weather returns!

4 minutes ago, BarryM said:

Went out to a flat battery during the week so plugged in the CTEK but got a red light saying the battery wouldn't hold charge, decided to start the process again and next time it said the battery had got to full charge so fingers crossed it's gonna be fine. I have a Bosch S5 which is 3 years old so with a 5 year warranty I was ready to get it replaced......let's see what happens when the cold weather 

Edited by Dbcrd

1 hour ago, NuckingFuts said:

Would you be able to do a write up for this? I have a wireless one that connects to my dash mounted iPad to go on and it would be good to to see how you’ve done it

I hope so. After the gasket comes next week I'll put something together though I doubt I took enough pictures.  Reason i did wireless and with a different camera was the OEM BMW retrofit camera fitting in my opinion is worse than an amateur bodge.  Not only does it ruin the tailgate pull handle it fits a new button switch and blanks the opening.  To round things off it routes a whole extra load of brittle insulated wires through the tailgate hinge that is crowded already.  I would suggest if you are going to do this replace the hinge harnesses at the same time.  I also suggest a gas soldering iron as well. People have disagreed with me about solder splicing wires but how on earth they find the space to hide the crimps down the side channel of the tailgate escapes me.