Jump to content
stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

Had to wash the car in the rain at the end of a long day; some shite-hawks (seagulls) in Godalming of all places decided to party over my car and covered it in their acidic crap. Hopefully it's all off now.

Bastards do that to my boat too!

shame is: you’re not allowed to shoot ‘em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shite-hawks...

 

We used to have a test kit for measuring water content in an hydraulic fluid sample.

 

We had a chemical (calcium hydride IIRC) which was mixed with a given fluid sample size.  Placed inside a pressure vessel with a pressure gauge, shaken vigorously such that the water would react with the chemical to produce hydrogen and the % water content produce a corresponding pressure value on the gauge.

 

The fun part was if you had a high water content sample you would get one hell of a pressure.  The guidance was to conduct this test on the upper deck not below decks.

 

The test kit was locally known as "The Bomb".

 

Anyway, apparently there was a lesser known use for the test kit to deal with shite-hawks.  This was to put some of the chemical into some bread and feed it to the shite-hawks, who subsequently could not burp or fart fast enough to relieve the resultant pressure build up created when the laced bread hit their digestive system  :shock:

 

Never seen this done myself,  just heard it through the grapevine.

 

Regards,

 

Mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced the Chinese chrome finish rad grilles with 2nd hand genuine M5 ones from eBay.

Received by various couriers a new Hella headlight cover, a pair of hd front drop links, oe rear drop links, front and rear e39 Sport Poly bushes and new viscous fan, all to be fitted by my guy next week.

a longish list of bits still to order including brakes, springs and shocks, various engine breathing in and out bits.

 

on Tuesday it goes and has a new Blaupunkt double din unit with Bluetooth and streaming through steering wheel controls on my new M Sport steering wheel and wiring fitted for my TomTom.

Edited by Ocallen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ordnator said:

Shite-hawks...

 

We used to have a test kit for measuring water content in an hydraulic fluid sample.

 

We had a chemical (calcium hydride IIRC) which was mixed with a given fluid sample size.  Placed inside a pressure vessel with a pressure gauge, shaken vigorously such that the water would react with the chemical to produce hydrogen and the % water content produce a corresponding pressure value on the gauge.

 

The fun part was if you had a high water content sample you would get one hell of a pressure.  The guidance was to conduct this test on the upper deck not below decks.

 

The test kit was locally known as "The Bomb".

 

Anyway, apparently there was a lesser known use for the test kit to deal with shite-hawks.  This was to put some of the chemical into some bread and feed it to the shite-hawks, who subsequently could not burp or fart fast enough to relieve the resultant pressure build up created when the laced bread hit their digestive system  :shock:

 

Never seen this done myself,  just heard it through the grapevine.

 

Regards,

 

Mick

Brilliant!

ill investigate that one!!

 

cheers

 

Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well bugger.

 

Little Miss Sharkfan went to open the front passenger window to be met with failure. The motor could be heard running but no movement. So off with the doorcard, peel back the vapour barrier and I could see the window clamps move up and down, not connected to the window glass. 

 

Easy-peasy I thought, a little jiggery-pokery to get the clamp screw in the 'window' and attach front and back clamp back to the window glass, using the old marks on the glass as where there were and so where they should go back.

 

Brilliant I though, except the window only goes down two thirds of the way, and no more. It goes up and down freely, it has even responded to the one-touch reset but two thirds down is as far as it goes.

 

Before boring you all with this I did have a good search through past posts but could only find solutions for no movement at all and a thread where wires had been crossed preventing the one-touch operation. Any quick suggestions before I have to start a thread and take everything apart again in the cold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try in 'initialisation' procedure, but it seems to assume you can fully open the window.

 

Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the problem, the window won't open fully now.

 

I've just checked the TIS and I seem have the correct 10mm and 5.4mm alignment dimensions when the window is open 10mm. 

 

The only other thing I did was take off the speaker box to fix the securing hole at one end of it.

 

Like I said it intiates and will go up and down in one-touch, it just thinks fully down is only two thirds down.

 

Edit: I will try that 'Erasure of initialization' tomorrow and then see what happens.

 

Thanks Richard.

 

2nd Edit: just found this...

 

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/116119-elec-window-will-not-fully-lower-after-door-was-removed/

Edited by sharkfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth checking that the cable is the right side of the guide then, it doesn't take long to get the card off.

 

The other possibility is that the mechanism is worn to the extent that the cable is jamming, but that's probably a new regulator job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sharkfan said:

It was working perfectly until the window slipped out of the clamps this morning. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

 

My previous one did that, window had frozen in situ and I'd accidentally caught the switch.. 

 

Door card off jobby to sort, took 10mins.. Gave the runners a squirt too for peace of mind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave it its weekly rinse and non-contact wash (ie coated in citrus pre-wash, rinsed, snow foamed and then rinsed). All glass towel dried and tyres treated with Chemical Guys tyre gel

 

That's about all I do over the winter months, try not to hand wash it as don't want to scratch the paintwork ideally and the weekly wash, like this, keeps it looking fresh ;)

 

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

wash3.jpg

wash4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing, but i did take a brave pill and open up my Marantanz CD-63 to replace the laser cartridge to (hopefully) cure an intermittent skip.

 

£10-89 well spent with any luck.

 

By accident i also fixed the issue with the tray mechanism which occasionally wouldn't close by retrieving a CD that had some how escaped the tray and found its way into the back of the unit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 18:18, sharkfan said:

It was working perfectly until the window slipped out of the clamps this morning. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

 

My money is on somthing catching as the window is lowered, can you wind the window down manually, you would then know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Gave it its weekly rinse and non-contact wash (ie coated in citrus pre-wash, rinsed, snow foamed and then rinsed). All glass towel dried and tyres treated with Chemical Guys tyre gel

 

That's about all I do over the winter months, try not to hand wash it as don't want to scratch the paintwork ideally and the weekly wash, like this, keeps it looking fresh ;)

 

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

wash3.jpg

wash4.jpg

I'm going to sneak mine onto your drive one day and you can spruce mine up :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I'm going to sneak mine onto your drive one day and you can spruce mine up :)

 

Haha that's fine pal... I take payment in cake, biscuits and/or single malt whisky ;) The peatier the better :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Nothing, but i did take a brave pill and open up my Marantanz CD-63 to replace the laser cartridge to (hopefully) cure an intermittent skip.

 

£10-89 well spent with any luck.

 

By accident i also fixed the issue with the tray mechanism which occasionally wouldn't close by retrieving a CD that had some how escaped the tray and found its way into the back of the unit!

 

Ah yes, that old chestnut... Had that with an Arcam Alpha 9 SACD CDP I had, couldn't figure out how the hell it did it, but it did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did my rocker cover gasket, all went well.  The old one must have been the original from new, it was like hard plastic and the bits around the spark plugs just shattered.  No wonder it was leaking.

Also discovered a little food store in the inlet manifold.... something must have been living here at some point :o:o

20191202_200619.thumb.jpg.48b4f6a4f3e3eb1d3a6fad1ee1f1b869.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Ha... Never seen that before! 
 

Get it ‘oovered :lol: 

Yes carefully hoovered it out Dan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JCM said:

Treated it to an early Christmas present courtesy of RSW

IMG_20191202_172830.jpg

 

Perfect finish 8) 

 

I'll be sorting one via them come the New Year I think ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JCM said:

Treated it to an early Christmas present courtesy of RSW

IMG_20191202_172830.jpg

 

So that’s what mine’s supposed to look like!

Best I get cleaning!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the winter wheels on, though with all this global warming I’m not expecting to get much benefit from them.  Due to circumstances I can’t be bothered to explain, I’ve got two sets. If the government finally get off their arses and ban internal combustion sometime soon, I’ll have to buy a compatible electric chariot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, syncrofred said:

Put the winter wheels on, though with all this global warming I’m not expecting to get much benefit from them.  Due to circumstances I can’t be bothered to explain, I’ve got two sets. If the government finally get off their arses and ban internal combustion sometime soon, I’ll have to buy a compatible electric chariot.


Mine have been on for a good month now and well bedded in :)

 

We've already had some fairly cold weather and a lot of wet/cold weather, the winter tyres come into their own then

 

However, hold your thoughts as the forecasts, so for, for mid to later on next week look to be very cold & possibly snowy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×