stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, Marc_86 said:

Are these even legal or are they classed as "show plates"

Fully road legal, just need to ensure they're made by a company that puts their essential details on the plate

Are these even legal or are they classed as "show plates"
Yep fully road legal. Check out boss plates limited.

To be honest I only got them as I ordered a set for a shortened private plate for a Porsche 918 . However for some reason doesn't look as good and can't think why.

I think these plates will be going on my soon to be built man shed wall.

I did get some Sonax GummiPfleger arrive today!70697de66eda2596c0790db36779f5d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Had the Steelmate wiring all connected and sorted for the reversing sensors; glad to report they're all working faultlessly and it's great to be able to reverse into spaces/spots/up the drive now without guessing how too bloody close I am to things :lol: 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Had the Steelmate wiring all connected and sorted for the reversing sensors; glad to report they're all working faultlessly and it's great to be able to reverse into spaces/spots/up the drive now without guessing how too bloody close I am to things :lol: 

Do these have their own module and indicator etc. Or did you retrofit them into the original panel under the hvac panel?

Bloody sick of my oem ones they keep dieing on me. Lost count how many sensors I've had to replace and get painted too.

5 hours ago, Ant89 said:

To be honest I only got them as I ordered a set for a shortened private plate for a Porsche 918 emoji23.png. However for some reason doesn't look as good and can't think why.

I did get some Sonax GummiPfleger arrive today!70697de66eda2596c0790db36779f5d0.jpg

Man sheds are for winners ha.

Defo get an other topic "man shed build" started with pics and plans lol.

21 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Do these have their own module and indicator etc. Or did you retrofit them into the original panel under the hvac panel?

Bloody sick of my oem ones they keep dieing on me. Lost count how many sensors I've had to replace and get painted too.

They have their own ECU and sounder; that's all tucked away just above the battery, so nothing on show at all :) 

You can get a physical display to go in the cabin, but it looks naff to me, so didn't want to waste £££ on that

21 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

They have their own ECU and sounder; that's all tucked away just above the battery, so nothing on show at all :) 

You can get a physical display to go in the cabin, but it looks naff to me, so didn't want to waste £££ on that

Can you manually activate it without going into reverse...that's a nice feature on the oem setup?

Scratch that...these are rear only aren't they? Would always be in reverse then.

Thought you fitted them all round for a moment...even with the pics.:rolleyes:

Edited by Marc_86
It's been a long day.

Man sheds are for winners ha.

Defo get an other topic "man shed build" started with pics and plans lol.
Now that's an idea!! Its mainly going to be for detailing kit and to hid away from the Mrs. Sadly only 8x8 but will make it work!

17 minutes ago, Ant89 said:

Now that's an idea!! Its mainly going to be for detailing kit and to hid away from the Mrs. Sadly only 8x8 but will make it work!

Consider it subscribed to when/if you do :lol:

7 hours ago, Ant89 said:

To be honest I only got them as I ordered a set for a shortened private plate for a Porsche 918 emoji23.png. However for some reason doesn't look as good and can't think why.

I've been looking at getting some of this given the interest.  Is there any difference between nextzett wurth and sonax?  The name gummi pledge apparently means something like rubber cleaner in German.  All I could find out is that you want one that is water based and doesn't completely dissolve the rubber which the old formulas used to do ten years ago or so.

1 hour ago, Marc_86 said:

Can you manually activate it without going into reverse...that's a nice feature on the oem setup?

Scratch that...these are rear only aren't they? Would always be in reverse then.

Thought you fitted them all round for a moment...even with the pics.:rolleyes:

You can get fronts too and as far as I know, you can’t activate them manually

23 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

I've been looking at getting some of this given the interest.  Is there any difference between nextzett wurth and sonax?  The name gummi pledge apparently means something like rubber cleaner in German.  All I could find out is that you want one that is water based and doesn't completely dissolve the rubber which the old formulas used to do ten years ago or so.

Only ever used Nextzett myself (which is water based and petroleum free according to the bottle here on my desk right now), to be honest I didn't realise that gummi pflege was a generic name and that other companies made it as well, until the post above with a pic of a bottle of Sonax!

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:10, d_a_n1979 said:

Collected the car from the body shop today; rear bumper sorted and resprayed and the Steelmate rear PDC kit installed:

pdc1.jpg

pdc2.jpg

pdc3.jpg

pdc4.jpg

pdc5.jpg

Great job. Look much nicer than the old OEM sensors

On 18/10/2019 at 00:57, DerekJr. said:

Reached 300k miles on Sunday. Changed the driver's wing due to the old one having a big scratch and dent. 

You were part of the BMWCC GB contingent? I had a space booked but had to pull out a week before due to a family event :roll:

The biblical rain of the past few days has given way to a very sunny day and 15 deg C.

Took advantage of this and spent a very pleasant few hours giving the 540 a thorough wash, polish and hoovering. Simple things please simple minds... :rolleyes:20191019_160927_HDR.jpg.01a97ddd45e10a4c9a006e0409a256ab.jpg20191019_160851_HDR-1.jpg.98e3530bd7c462b9c45741749fd192aa.jpg

4 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

The biblical rain of the past few days has given way to a very sunny day and 15 deg C.

Took advantage of this and spent a very pleasant few hours giving the 540 a thorough wash, polish and hoovering. Simple things please simple minds... :rolleyes:20191019_160927_HDR.jpg.01a97ddd45e10a4c9a006e0409a256ab.jpg20191019_160851_HDR-1.jpg.98e3530bd7c462b9c45741749fd192aa.jpg

Lovely!!!

Well last night I sold my old girl and it was an emotional departure having had her so many years and gone through such a roller coaster of mostly great times and a few nail biters. 

Won't be my last old Beemer though.

Yesterday removed the rear bumper just to change two rear vents to try and fix a water leak.  It took a while but would be quicker next time.  Spent time clearing crud out securing exhaust heat shield and fixing pdc loom.  The fabric they used on these looms crumbles to dust after 17 years.

Today replaced  left hand tailgate wiring harness.  Absolute  pain to do.  Worth it though as I pulled in extra cables ready for reverse camera later on. 

Edited by Dbcrd

Not been on here much as it’s had a good 10k of trouble free motoring, but the exhaust started blowing. I found the flange sides had rusted away. Managed to drill out one of the studs, luckily the other had already been replaced with a nut & bolt:

rlB7XAG.jpg

I decided to weld some nuts onto whats left of the flange, hopefully that will hold that side for a while. Will be interesting to see how long it takes before the other pipe comes lose!

rP83Gyt.jpg

On 18/10/2019 at 04:43, Seweryn528 said:

Congrats DerekJr! Glad to see an E39 in such epic mileage territory. What have you done maintenance wise?

Do you have any tips or recommendations?

Not any more than standard maintenance and replace things when they stop working. Just make sure your cooling and oiling work properly and the engine should go on for miles. Don't rev it too high when the engine is cold. I bought the car with 195k miles more than 6 yrs ago, so I can't take all of the credit lol. 

On 18/10/2019 at 11:50, duncan-uk said:

Only another 48K to beat Raymond's which i think was the highest we've seen!

I've tried looking for the mileage thread but I can't find it on here lol

On 19/10/2019 at 08:59, Loadmaster said:

You were part of the BMWCC GB contingent? I had a space booked but had to pull out a week before due to a family event :roll:

BMWCC GB Contingent? I don't think I was part of that. Well, I can't remember being part of it lol