stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Attempted to fit new grills today, no chance. 

Either my bonnet release is playing up, or the new grills stopped the bonnet latch operating properly. Passenger side grill, despite 'clicking' in to place, kept popping out when I closed the bonnet. 

Didn't actually like the gloss black look either, so binned them.

Ordering BMW sport grills tomorrow. 

@Ant89 - how did you fit your new grills?

59 minutes ago, stu08 said:

Attempted to fit new grills today, no chance. 

Either my bonnet release is playing up, or the new grills stopped the bonnet latch operating properly. Passenger side grill, despite 'clicking' in to place, kept popping out when I closed the bonnet. 

Didn't actually like the gloss black look either, so binned them.

Ordering BMW sport grills tomorrow. 

@Ant89 - how did you fit your new grills?

Sounds like they’re a cheaper aftermarket jobby...

The slat that’s closest to the release handle will be full thickness. Compare it to your OEM grille & you’ll see what bit needs to be dremmel’d away

Collected another x2 Style 66 17x8 alloys; so that's a set of 4 I've got now. One came with my touring as the spare; the other 3 I've found locally via eBay for the grand total of £32, for all 3! Crazy :roll::lol: 

Time to get the crappy tyres off; get them sanded back and resprayed (Rover Gunmetal Metallic ;) ) and winter tyres fitted :mrgreen: 

Collected the car from the welding shop today. All jacking points now repaired, a few pics of their handy work........

1895507793_tricketts13jpg.thumb.jpg.890bdcc623389d40e8dd42a27a663ee1.jpg

1255039573_tricketts16jpg.thumb.jpg.14b1046b5cc0dbc7490de4cd54912f41.jpg

1781891898_tricketts17jpg.thumb.jpg.6a082d9020c546a744c303ff3fe24084.jpg

2115998282_tricketts18jpg.thumb.jpg.30f7b062642b262cea7155eb0bf23c00.jpg

1438543522_tricketts24jpg.thumb.jpg.38be9a924bcb1708bc6b79520f111a55.jpg

1092706280_tricketts19jpg.thumb.jpg.26cf3cbe1a1550d86097526f91e80d34.jpg

2072428072_tricketts20jpg.thumb.jpg.50140ac6ce4c68fee67b1a7f6cb20ae4.jpg

Not a cheap job, but the car is now structurally sound :D

43 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

Fitted M door mouldings to my Touring

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Where did you source these pal? Been thinking the same for my touring 

Good news: rewired the front tailgate switch (near the bonnet release) so that it opens the glass tailgate instead.

Bad news: picked up a screw in the front offside Michelin PilotSport with 6mm of tread left - find out tomorrow if it can be repaired.... 

Collected the car from the welding shop today. All jacking points now repaired, a few pics of their handy work........

1895507793_tricketts13jpg.thumb.jpg.890bdcc623389d40e8dd42a27a663ee1.jpg

1255039573_tricketts16jpg.thumb.jpg.14b1046b5cc0dbc7490de4cd54912f41.jpg

1781891898_tricketts17jpg.thumb.jpg.6a082d9020c546a744c303ff3fe24084.jpg

2115998282_tricketts18jpg.thumb.jpg.30f7b062642b262cea7155eb0bf23c00.jpg

1438543522_tricketts24jpg.thumb.jpg.38be9a924bcb1708bc6b79520f111a55.jpg

1092706280_tricketts19jpg.thumb.jpg.26cf3cbe1a1550d86097526f91e80d34.jpg

2072428072_tricketts20jpg.thumb.jpg.50140ac6ce4c68fee67b1a7f6cb20ae4.jpg

Not a cheap job, but the car is now structurally sound 
Amazing job! Mine has been under sealed but my jacket points may need doing next year. Great to see the process! Do you mind me asking how much you paid?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bad news: the puncture couldn't be repaired so a new Michelin is on its way from mytyres - meanwhile I'm rolling about on the original spare wheel and tyre, the tyre is a little dated...... 01/01... :blink:

Good news: while I dragged out the spare I swapped the hybrid tuner back in; rubbed back, treated then painted some small surface rust in the tyre well and around the air suspension access plates; topped on the hydraulic tailgate resovoir so it works as well as it ever did. Put it all back together again, then washed and polished it with that funky new Meguairs Ceramic polish stuff.

Replaced the two tailgate struts (long overdue).  Actually quite easy with a thin pry bar.  Hardest part was putting the wire covers back together.

Fitted new outer tail light gaskets

Interesting re. the M door mouldings.  Mine has one on the passenger side (the M lettering a bit old and faded now though) but not on the driver's.  It might have dropped off but seems clean  I suspect a replacement of the passenger side for a repair before I got the car (9 years ago).

27 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

Interesting re. the M door mouldings.  Mine has one on the passenger side (the M lettering a bit old and faded now though) but not on the driver's.  It might have dropped off but seems clean  I suspect a replacement of the passenger side for a repair before I got the car (9 years ago).

IIRC the M moulding have an inset area for the M badge; you can get the badges and stick them on to the normal door mouldings, doesn't look as good though ;) Could be that's how it is on yours?

57 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

IIRC the M moulding have an inset area for the M badge; you can get the badges and stick them on to the normal door mouldings, doesn't look as good though ;) Could be that's how it is on yours?

Original BMW M door mouldings have oblong cutouts into which the M inserts and frame fit held in with 3 clips on the back.

Interior wiped down, th'oovered and cleaned in readiness for the Manchester Airport run tomorrow collecting my folks from their hols in Rome... Not bothered washing it as it's rained and is due to rain more here and it'll get filthy on the motorway run tomorrow 

On 12/09/2019 at 21:31, Ant89 said:

Amazing job! Mine has been under sealed but my jacket points may need doing next year. Great to see the process! Do you mind me asking how much you paid?

The bill came to £2500.  I'd been quoted cheaper locally, but one of the E12 boys on this Forum had used the welding shop, and the pics that he posted of the work on his car  impressed me.

I'm a fussy bugger and decided I would happily pay a premium for a top quality job. I wasn't disappointed!

The work on mine included cutting out all the rot, fabricating new sections and welding in to place, stone chip, primer and top coat. The inside of the sills were also sprayed with cavity wax.

Replaced both my leaky power steering reservoir hoses on my M5 with Meyle brand hoses today.  They seem excellent quality and so far so good, no leaks after a decent drive.  Afterwards gave it a quick wash, satisfying job and hopefully will stop my under tray leak stains :D

7 minutes ago, DatV8 said:

Replaced both my leaky power steering reservoir hoses on my M5 with Meyle brand hoses today.  They seem excellent quality and so far so good, no leaks after a decent drive.  Afterwards gave it a quick wash, satisfying job and hopefully will stop my under tray leak stains :D

Yeah they’re well made. Used these on my E38 and all 3 of my E39s :) 

This is a picture of the passenger door trim.  Not sure if genuine or not.  No sign of any recess or glue on drivers door.

On the subject of Meyle it's an interesting point.  For suspension parts I've chosen not used them on this e39 but I think there is a difference between meyle and meyle hd.  Never had a problem with any other Meyle parts I've fitted.  

20190915_140422.jpg

14 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

This is a picture of the passenger door trim.  Not sure if genuine or not.  No sign of any recess or glue on drivers door.

20190915_140422.jpg

That is an original M moulding, so looks like you have a standard one on the other side. Pull the M one off and you'll see the badge fixings on the back

Got a Check Coolant alert on drive to work, parked up and heard the hisding before I opened bonnet and was met with a face full of steam and boiling droplets...

Top hose drain screw has given up, head of it nowhere to be seen and the groove in the screw itself now free to vent to it's heart's content. Mondays, eh?

20190916_103329.jpg

Flatted back all of the surface rust (at least two bits on every panel), zinc primered it and ready for filler.

Cut out the rear jack pad.

Cut out the front sill and replaced.

Tonight will be a rocker cover gasket and a service, tomorrow filler and Friday finish welding.  It never ends with this POS.