stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

16 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Could be as simple as the bowden cable has pinged off; hopefully just that and it hasn't snapped

Plus 1 

Got the car back after a jerky gearchange led me to finding out I hadn't had the oil and filter changed a few years ago - the filter was date stamped 2001 and the oil was black and low after 146k miles so a very thorough flush, new oil and filter, new sump pan and new bolts and it's all super amooth again. 

All work carried out by the meticulous Lee Shannon out at Bentley, near Farnham.

Took my newly acquired 76k miles one owner 530i Sport Touring to Sytners for a new airbag to be fitted under the BMW recall scheme.

Free valet, free key ring and they found a Scottish £10 under the seat!

Health Check passed 100%. Very happy today!

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

1 hour ago, greenelekta said:

Took my newly acquired 76k miles one owner 530i Sport Touring to Sytners for a new airbag to be fitted under the BMW recall scheme.

Free valet, free key ring and they found a Scottish £10 under the seat!

Health Check passed 100%. Very happy today!

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

That's a bonny looking touring ;) 

Really glad I listed that and someone on here saved it :mrgreen:

Any plans?

2 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

Plan is to keep it "standard" and use it!

Good luck with that :lol: You know we all succumb to changing bits here and there sooner or later ;) 

2 hours ago, greenelekta said:

Dan, how do you Jap BMW owners stand regarding the airbag recall?

Exactly the same car at the end of the day pal; mines had it done in April at Bowker BMW in Preston :) 

Just now, d_a_n1979 said:

Exactly the same car at the end of the day pal; mines had it done in April at Bowker BMW in Preston :) 

Good to know.

Changed my MAP sensor after a long troubled series of fixes with the car not liking anything over half throttle for any length of time.

Success I think as it hasn't come up on the dash with the FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM error message. 

Front discs and pads, still need a new sensor, sliding bushes were not sliding, anti roll bar linkage boot replaced. Rear Air Springs replaced. Tried to cure weeping oil filter cap.

Now onto the airbag codes :-(. (Note drivers airbag fixed under recall last year)

From Peake SRS Chinese clone

Table 03 (yeah right what table 03) codes 05 ,50 & 01

Only  table 10 and Table 04 with a code 50 in it, and this states Supply Voltage

Code 01 - Firing Circuit, Driver airbag, Stage 1 (common with one other table)

Code 05 - Firing Circuit, side airbag, front left side (common with some other tables)

Code 50 - Supply voltage

Any thoughts?

MOT due at the end of the Month.

Edited by Patrician

52 minutes ago, BeemerFan said:

Finally got round to fitting the LED halos out :wub:

565323D4-8B87-4998-9513-C9ED56C152BB.jpeg

You've just reminded me, that's been on my list of things to do like forever. No errors? Care to share a link to where yours came from?

Edited by Pzero
Ducking auto correct

250+ trouble free miles today, just got to sort the bloody clonk.

It can only be hubs or ARB bush- everything else has been changed.

Have both parts so will try and carve some time out this week!

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

You've just reminded me, that's been on my list of things to do like forever. No errors? Care to share a link to where yours came from?

I have a set of barely used Cree LED bulbs for E39 sitting in a drawer at home I have been meaning to get sold for ages. Tried them, looked great, but just felt I liked original bulbs better so removed them again. Would let you have them for £20 posted if it would be of any interest? 

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

No error codes or anything. I got these ones mate https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254220001641

6 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

I have a set of barely used Cree LED bulbs for E39 sitting in a drawer at home I have been meaning to get sold for ages. Tried them, looked great, but just felt I liked original bulbs better so removed them again. Would let you have them for £20 posted if it would be of any interest? 

PM you shortly, cheers!

On 05/08/2019 at 22:30, DerekJr. said:

Unlocked the car and opened the door simultaneously. I heard a pop from within the door and now the door does not open from the outside. I guessing the cable snapped or became detatched. I will investigate further tomorrow. 

Also, noticed my boot light does not illuminate. I've changed the bulbs and the housing...but still nothing. It's not the fuse, so I'm guessing it's chaffed wiring in that rubber hose thing from the boot lid to the car. I had a similar problem on my previous e36 affecting the dash lightings and sidelights. 

Just as I suspected, one of the wires in that rubber hose has been split. Two more wires are heading in that direction. 

On 06/08/2019 at 08:29, d_a_n1979 said:

Could be as simple as the bowden cable has pinged off; hopefully just that and it hasn't snapped

Hopefully. I'm going to remove the whole thing over the weekend. I went to the scrap yard and brought home a handle carrier from a scraped e39. I can't figure out how to remove the lock barrel.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Did you contact BMW or did they contact you? I think mine will need to be done also but not sure how i go about it as it's also an import.

49 minutes ago, BeemerFan said:

Did you contact BMW or did they contact you? I think mine will need to be done also but not sure how i go about it as it's also an import.

I contacted them but received a letter also as soon as I registered it with the DVLA

Call your local BMW dealership and sew what they say

Popped in to Dartford Transmissions at the weekend for an oil change on the gearbox. Turned out I was one of the locals as I'd "only" driven 80 miles to get there!

So now that's the gearbox oil changed, Beisan Vanos seals, and metal headlight adjusters. Hopefully that's the Achilles Heels taken care of...

5 minutes ago, 5mithy said:

Popped in to Dartford Transmissions at the weekend for an oil change on the gearbox. Turned out I was one of the locals as I'd "only" driven 80 miles to get there!

So now that's the gearbox oil changed, Beisan Vanos seals, and metal headlight adjusters. Hopefully that's the Achilles Heels taken care of...

Nobody mention the cooling system... :mrgreen:;) 

8 hours ago, BeemerFan said:

You can check the airbag yourself. If it has a yellow sticker and BAM 1085, it's the version which needs to be changed. If it's something else then it's OK.

61321938_10157213194907071_4248790122620780544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQl5s3OXQsFwVRXwPcY30uHKWziPbVWellCxFhXN86MO09yAKeXEXZM_CYHHoI0cFFU&_nc_ht=scontent.fhel1-1.fna&oh=4fe3872fbf2a7be414b256132a680eb7&oe=5DEB3751