stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

3 hours ago, adam- said:

Tanked it so it's ready for the NC500.

Your tank will last for ages as you will crawl most of the route .. gives you plenty time to sit still and admire the scenery as the traffic on it now is horrendous ... lots of hire cars that just stop for pics, jams because no common sense is used for passing etc

Glorious route tho , the picture opportunities for your car are limitless

NC500.jpg

Yeah that was my worry.  We did it about 8 years ago when I'd just passed my test and it was dead.  Now it seems to be super busy! 

The Tourings first outing and ‘long drive’ since buying it. Haven’t done any long distances in it since fetching it back from Glasgee 8 weeks ago ;) 

Its on its first road trip over to Anglesey for a few days 8)

B1206-E11-1319-4219-98-B4-E24-F8422-EFD7

Kicked and swore at it.  Just got back from holiday.  Car had been in long term car park for twelve days. Enough juice to unlock but not enough to start.  Had power drain issues a couple of years ago, but it seemed to resolve itself.  Seems like it’s happening again.  Last time I found that pulling fuse number 4, which looks after the washers, interior lights and the self levelling suspension sorted it, so I pulled the fuse before we even drove to Manchester airport.  Obviously not good enough.  I’ve just connected the meter between the battery earth cable and battery, but it’s not registering anything. I’m going to try another meter, as a check.  Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers Dan, I’ll have a look at them.  Busy weekend so it will be Monday/Tuesday now.  Annoying when something is wrong but you don’t know what.

52 minutes ago, syncrofred said:

Cheers Dan, I’ll have a look at them.  Busy weekend so it will be Monday/Tuesday now.  Annoying when something is wrong but you don’t know what.

Yeah; Fuse 9 is the HVAC system and heated washer jets etc; the 56-58 are the stereo and phone/amp, if built in. If any of those are removed and the draw stops; there you go :)

I've had bit of a drain recently and it turned out to be connected to Fuse 9; it's either the HVAC (aircon/climate control panel) in the dash, or the heater valve in the engine bay (which I've got a new replacement to fit as soon as I've time); in the meantime, I've just unplugged it :)  It stopped the draw there & then!

Washed it after getting back from a few days in Anglesey... Will th’oover th’interior tomorrow ;) 

On 17/05/2019 at 08:39, duncan-uk said:

I fancy the NC500 but it's probably 600 miles to the start for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NC500?

I saw the NC500 on the television a few years back. 

I thought it looked amazing but it sounds like every man and his dog's on it now. :(

I quite like the idea of hiring an F-Type R for the week and doing it. 

Took it to my indie for a long overdue service, replacing lots of stuff:

- rear diff - for longer ratio 2.64 (off a manual 525tds) vs standard 3.15 - finaly no engine screaming on the motorway

- gearbox output shaft seal - leaking

- driveshaft bearing and flex disc - worn

- rear suspension arms - still on original ones, no play but all rubber boots perished 

- rear discs, pads and shoes, brake hoses - all well beyond use by date

- rear shocks and springs - leaking & corroded

- front NS lower suspension arm - ball joint play

- front anti roll bars links both, anti roll bar bushings

- steering rack reconditioning (play), steering links and rod ends - play, torn boots

To do: new bumper (hit a wild boar!) cosmetic touch ups, some rust treatment, bixenon xenon upgrade and headlight polishing.

Approaching 260k miles, 01 525i manual, enjoyed every single mile in this analogue, mechanical masterpiece.

Dug out the 5 from the garage. 2 staged the bonnet and boot after decontamination, sealed with crystal wax from SwissVax and top coated with Meguires Nanolex wax. Ready for Gloucester Forge Motorsport's brunch tomorrow.

Put all the stages so far on my project thread.677e33cdf9c713abe5150853fdfd7def.jpgb8958195d55a6ead767e3c222b1ef386.jpgef2e7e14f9b410a2905ba7622a0af14b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Passed another MOT :D couple of advisories on a ball joint and brake lines starting to look a bit flaky so time for some wire brush action.

Will do both ball joints when i fit the ARB bushes which are the last thing i've not changed which i hope will remove a low speed clonking i have.

Think i will find a day next week to give it some love B)