stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1) Fitted black roof ceiling handles and vanity lights. It was the only grey parts when I 'Sported' my interior.

2) I bought a screen-wash fluid tank that has the pump for the headlamp washer jets. My newly acquired front sport bumper has the washer jets but my car didn't come with that option. I thought I might as well retrofit it. 

3) High beam splitter turned up, now I have quad high-beams (if my low beams are on). I'm running bi-xenon in the low beam part of the headlamps and LED high beam bulbs in the high beam part.

4) In a min, I am going to replace my track/tie-rods. 

22 minutes ago, DerekJr. said:

1) Fitted black roof ceiling handles and vanity lights. It was the only grey parts when I 'Sported' my interior.

2) I bought a screen-wash fluid tank that has the pump for the headlamp washer jets. My newly acquired front sport bumper has the washer jets but my car didn't come with that option. I thought I might as well retrofit it. 

3) High beam splitter turned up, now I have quad high-beams (if my low beams are on). I'm running bi-xenon in the low beam part of the headlamps and LED high beam bulbs in the high beam part.

4) In a min, I am going to replace my track/tie-rods. 

Interested in your light combo. I’m trying, albeit slowly, to upgrade mine. Need to see and be seen !!

5 hours later, and I have finished installing the new track rods. Much better steering...it feels tighter. The old ones were possibly from the factory (294k miles) as they had the BMW stamp on them, and they weren't replaced in my 6 years ownership.

10 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Interested in your light combo. I’m trying, albeit slowly, to upgrade mine. Need to see and be seen !!

I replaced my facelift halogen projectors with some bi-xenon projectors from The Retrofit Source (project thread on this forum somewhere), and I connected my high beams connection to the bi-xenons to enable the bi-xenon function. However, this meant that my high beams would only work if my low beams were on. During the day time, I would just flash my front fogs to let people through or say thanks.

Okay, I hear you ask, how come you just didn't connect it to your LED high beam bulbs? I did for a while, but I was impressed with the light throw from the bi-xenons. Now that I have a high beam splitter, I am able to flash people even if my lights are off and keep the bi-xenon functionality (when low beams are on). 

Low beams off:

Pull stalk = LED high beams illuminate

Low beams on (bi-xenon on low beam mode):

Pull/push stalk = LED high beams &  Bi-xenon high beam mode

I've done it the same way as Derek because I've kept the fulls.  In the Golf I painted over the lenses so the output was terrible.  A diode on the high beam side onto the shutter/ballast meant when I pulled the stalk the ballast also fired.

I know it's not good for them but meh.

Early drive this morning up to the badlands of Croydon. Well, Purley Way so that was okay.

Called into AJ Turners to discuss a Dynavin installation and a few other mods. Really great morning to be out cruising about. Also took the opportunity to get a photo with the Croydon Airport 'gate guardian', which was nearby. 

20190513_092813_HDR-1.jpg.c356a6a72e92b18c3f2081c9fe96f2b2.jpg20190513_102032_HDR-1.jpg.53bf56e80d340586aafd327f474d3221.jpg

Edited by Loadmaster

I finally got my square set up sorted this weekend.  Two coats of Poorboys wheel sealant on each wheel and fitted.  Very pleased with the look and drive of this, front feels solid and planted.  3mm spacer and slightly longer wheel bolts fitted on the front to clear the strut tower (I'm on BC coilovers)

20190511_120440.thumb.jpg.7077fc72ea7aa0f2f45a8ef16b2a0ae6.jpg20190511_120424.thumb.jpg.a05513a7d1804e1a22aee85a181db5dc.jpg

Edited by DatV8

Shadow chrome 65s? So glad I bought mine, look fab on the E39.

5 hours ago, DatV8 said:

I finally got my square set up sorted this weekend.  Two coats of Poorboys wheel sealant on each wheel and fitted.  Very pleased with the look and drive of this, front feels solid and planted.  3mm spacer and slightly longer wheel bolts fitted on the front to clear the strut tower (I'm on BC coilovers)

20190511_120440.thumb.jpg.7077fc72ea7aa0f2f45a8ef16b2a0ae6.jpg20190511_120424.thumb.jpg.a05513a7d1804e1a22aee85a181db5dc.jpg

Like the poise of the car!

mine is on std (for a 540i Sport) setup, but I’d like to set the wheels (and they are still turbines) wider by just a tad.

how far do you think I should go?

I’m minded to do 5mm, but yours @ 3mm seem good. 

5 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

mine is on std (for a 540i Sport) setup, but I’d like to set the wheels (and they are still turbines) wider by just a tad.

Your turbines will take a 15mm hubcentric spacer easy enough; that's what I ran on my 530i saloon for winter alloys/tyres :)

15mm min at front, you could go 5mm hubcentric shims on the rear; you'll either need the necessary longer bolts (or to make life easier) an 82mm stud conversion kit via 'mteconline' on eBay; they do their own hubcentric spacers too 

Stud conversion: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Black-Conversion-Wheel-Studs-82mm-Kit-with-Nuts-M12x1-5/302779051547?epid=7008856862&hash=item467f09ae1b:g:aAAAAOSwFqJWnNWU&frcectupt=true

15mm spacers with longer bolts (if required); but contact the seller and they'll do you a deal for them on their own if you go with the stud conversion: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTEC-BMW-E39-Hubcentric-15mm-Wheel-Spacer-Kit-Bolts-M12x1-5/283018065231?hash=item41e530f54f:g:xEkAAOSwDxhc0Yhl&frcectupt=true

5mm hubcentric spacer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-5mm-Hubcentric-Alloy-wheel-spacers-Fits-BMW-X6-E71-F16-M-74-1-5x120/192818902267?epid=18005170474&hash=item2ce4e6f4fb:g:wvgAAOSwXetZVSje&frcectupt=true

4 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Thanks chief!  As Dan mentioned in his post below yours the offset of turbines must be different so you need larger spacers.  Good advice there B) rear style 65's are I think 22 offset so only needs a small 3mm to just clear the strut on the front.

4 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Shadow chrome 65s? So glad I bought mine, look fab on the E39.

Yes not long had them repainted to a shadow chrome 'look'.  Black all over then a few passes of silver across the front to mimic the look.

1 hour ago, Clavurion said:

E39 waked from winter hibernation with refurbished Style 66's and gave a wash for both old ladies. 

image.png.99c5c7e8f2daa870eca16a9552ab963b.png

Lovely colour that Toni; what it is?

Those grilles shadow chrome too?

18 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Lovely colour that Toni; what it is?

Those grilles shadow chrome too?

Messing metallic (Stratus grey on E53). Not very representative lighting on that picture.

Black chrome kidneys. Bought them years ago from Schmiedmann. It appears they are not available anymore.

1 hour ago, Clavurion said:

Messing metallic (Stratus grey on E53). Not very representative lighting on that picture.

Black chrome kidneys. Bought them years ago from Schmiedmann. It appears they are not available anymore.

Ah yes; I tried to buy their last set last year but they were unhappy with the finish; ended up with gloss ones for my previous 530i instead...

Will be getting them again for my touring 8) 

Well a supposedly simple task made itself complicated. Mot is due soon and since the car came back from the garage that didn’t fix it the hand brake has had lots of travel. 

Brake fluid went ok using a vacuum pump though lots of pumping needed to draw through fluid in any quantities :roll: whilst at the back i noticed the handbrake has no effect. Nipped up the cable and no charge. Whipped of the disc and found:

00AEA24D-F037-48EB-AC2F-23DD83105754.jpeg

Yup friction material detached from both shoes which I’ve never seen. 

ECP is just around corner so ordered up some shoes. Prefers are not in stock but dearer pagid are. Jump in other car get half way there and realise wallet is in other jeans. 

Get wallet. Collect shoes. 

Whip of old shoes. Start with new and realise they are smaller :evil:

back in car again. Show chap at counter. He confirms yes correct p/n cross refs with mine so ask to look at another box and they’re fine. Looks like some chump has put wrong ones in box :rolleyes:

so back home again. Swap shoes and go through the pain of handbrake adjustment. Why bmw make a job like this such a faff with that crappy adjuster through the wheel bolt shit I’ll never know...

Did both sides others were detached on one shoe this time not both but seem to have a good handbrake now so interesting to see the mot readings. 

Meantime missis is telling me she needs the car to do something she’s promised daughter :-o

Finally on to the front bleeding. Nothing coming out nipple. Seems it’s blocked. Managed to find a spare but that will need replacing as not happy with how it bled. 

Fluid change finished. Used about 800ml and brakes feel mich as before and have check fluid

message though level fine so more investigation needed. 

So that was 5 hours I’m not getting back and my planned list of jobs still pending. 

Cars  Eh? :unsure:

Picked up a new drivers wing from BMW today ready for a front end tidy up.

By the time preparation of a second hand wing had been costed (plus cost of second hand wing) it really isn’t much more to get a new one.

I managed to get a good used wing in the right colour paid £40-50 and it was fitted in an hour or so. Looks bob on an no paint needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got a used topaz blue wing for £20. It looked better than the original on the other side:lol:

I tried 3 different wings. First one I damaged, next two were rust free versions which had rust on the lip edge of the arch. By the time they’d been cut and welded it’d have been close to the cost of a new one. I never seem to get lucky with second hand body panels! :-(

Looking forward to getting it to the body shop though.

No I get you. I got lucky. Had issues with used e28 and e36 wings in the past but this one needs a polish but the bonnet and wing fit and match a treat.

A genuine bmw wing isn't horrendous either. Horses for courses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Changed the Guiding Suspension link tonight (No14) for the 4 wheel alignment on Saturday. Surprise surprise, the eccentric bolt (No15) snapped as the shaft welded itself to the bush due to corrosion. Luckily, I saw this coming so I bought a new bolt and nut before tackling the job. I simply sawed the bolt and replaced the guiding link with a new bolt and nuts. 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DM42-EUR-09-1999-E39-BMW-523i&diagId=33_0519