stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, chicaneuk said:

Fitted this morning as I have a day off. Still whistles exactly the same as before if it a bit worse. Not amused. 

I may have said this before, but way back before I bought V42 and became familiar with E39s, my neighbour had one. It was a T reg, a 528 I think, in dark green and with what I now know are Style 32 wheels.

Anyhow, I'm certain that car had the same whistle that I/we experienced/experience with V42. Apart from maybe being an annoyance, it whistled for the nearly 10 years that I ran the car, so if it was some type of fault you may have expected whatever it is to fail within that time. Just a thought...

Edited by Loadmaster

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

I may have said this before, but way back before I bought V42 and became familiar with E39s, my neighbour had one. It was a T reg, a 528 I think, in dark green and with what I now know are Style 32 wheels.

Anyhow, I'm certain that car had the same whistle that I/we experienced/experience with V42. Apart from maybe being an annoyance, it whistled for the nearly 10 years that I ran the car, so if it was some type of fault you may have expected whatever it is to fail within that time. Just a thought...

Cheers Keith... I appreciate it's probably not a big problem and I could probably run the car for years more without it turning into an issue but.. honestly it's bugging the hell out of me :) I'm determined to work out why it does it. 

Got all the bits together for tomorrow's ramps session and painted the brake disc hats Hammerite silver to stop future rusting ;)

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

parts4.jpg

parts5.jpg

parts6.jpg

parts7.jpg

parts8.jpg

Found the cause of my annoying whistle. It seems to be the belt tensioner that sits between the water pump and alternator.. no obvious resistance and spins pretty freely when you spin the pulley but get it up to any kind of speed and it's surprisingly loud. Video below but doesn't capture it fully in terms of volume. I removed the tensioner (although it does feel extremely stiff!) so I think I might just replace the tensioner completely rather than just the pulley :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0WstE7j1nI

I notice also from RealOEM and reading around it was superseded with a more elaborate hydraulic tensioner but.. think I will stick with the original design for now! 

Edited by chicaneuk

Oh; rear drop links and prop duffnut being changed too... Think I might leave the brakes to another session when they can be done in one go along with the lines, but will see how things go tomorrow

The cars been given a good wash and Autoglym Aqua Wax though in readiness; it's nice to work on a clean car ;)

clean1.jpg

clean2.jpg

Basic oil filter and oil change done - who know it would be so simple.

Weirdly I've had 2 people knock on my door in the past few weeks asking if my E39 is for sale :rolleyes:

Fixed a weird and completely random ABS issue (both rear sensors were properly caked with crap), so a quick wheel off jobby, removed the sensors, cleaned them with brake cleaner and a cloth, reseated them, wheels back on, drove the car, no more warning lights ;) 

3 hours ago, GBS said:

Weirdly I've had 2 people knock on my door in the past few weeks asking if my E39 is for sale :rolleyes:

That would worry me, particularly if they were a bit iffy looking :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

That would worry me, particularly if they were a bit iffy looking :ph34r:

Haha indeed, although the first seemed like a genuine E39 enthusiast and knew a fair bit about the cars! Either way the cars on the drive with CCTV covering it, may also invest in one of those steering wheel locks or a GPS tracker :ph34r: Any recommendations on car security?!

Edited by GBS

1 minute ago, GBS said:

Haha indeed, although the first seemed like a genuine E39 enthusiast and knew a fair bit about the cars! Either way the cars on the drive with CCTV covering it, may also invest in one of those steering wheel locks :ph34r:

Funnily enough, I bought a Stoplock Pro this week. Not alarm fitted to ex Jap E39s

Front wheels off, ABS sensors removes, cleaned (absolutely caked in crap), reseated, wheels back on, test drive to make sure no lights... 

Will probably order all 4 just for peace of mind 

I looked at it - again. Still stripped down, still waiting for the thermostat to arrive... the sodding radiator (that I decided the car needed) managed to arrive before it!

not all bad I suppose, I’ve been driving my E34 all week. Miss the speed of the 530i though... 

On 28/04/2019 at 16:40, chicaneuk said:

Found the cause of my annoying whistle. It seems to be the belt tensioner that sits between the water pump and alternator.. no obvious resistance and spins pretty freely when you spin the pulley but get it up to any kind of speed and it's surprisingly loud. Video below but doesn't capture it fully in terms of volume. I removed the tensioner (although it does feel extremely stiff!) so I think I might just replace the tensioner completely rather than just the pulley :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0WstE7j1nI

I notice also from RealOEM and reading around it was superseded with a more elaborate hydraulic tensioner but.. think I will stick with the original design for now! 

New tensioner came in the post. As expected... totally silent and actually doesn't spin as freely.. in that the pulley has a little resistance. But as I say, it's absolutely silent. Hopefully get it on the car this weekend! :)

On 30/04/2019 at 22:01, GBS said:

Haha indeed, although the first seemed like a genuine E39 enthusiast and knew a fair bit about the cars! Either way the cars on the drive with CCTV covering it, may also invest in one of those steering wheel locks or a GPS tracker :ph34r: Any recommendations on car security?!

Don't bother with anything like that because if someone wants it that bad it will go and if they can't steal it they'll damage the ar for spite.

All you need to do is find the live or earth to the fuel pump and put a switch on it or micro switch under the ashtray to cut the power, if you really want to mess them up use a delay timer on the pump feed with an override switch for you to use.

The idea being let them try to steal the car but they will never get it to run, even better with the timer if they get the car to start it will stop shortly afterwards in the middle of the road. They won't be to inclined to spend any time trying to fix it but will probably leave it abandoned.

Made it pretty again B)

Bumper will need painting (again) though might try chippex and maybe the plastic but its had new track rods (did both just to be sure) and aligned and nearly as good as before

Apparently this was beyond economic repair....<_<

Must polish those headlights ^_^

IMG_6333.JPG

fixed.jpg

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Made it pretty again B)

Bumper will need painting (again) though might try chippex and maybe the plastic but its had new track rods (did both just to be sure) and aligned and nearly as good as before

Apparently this was beyond economic repair....<_<

Must polish those headlights ^_^

IMG_6333.JPG

fixed.jpg

How can that be beyond economic repair?

What a load of bollocks :angry: :roll: :mad: 

It looks like it's hardly been clipped! You've done a good job 8) 

Looks great.

bodywork on the best is a work in progress. New trunk door & sports bumper just the start!

i know, I know, the lights need sorting, but time etc.......

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

How can that be beyond economic repair?

What a load of bollocks :angry: :roll: :mad: 

It looks like it's hardly been clipped! You've done a good job 8) 

Quite. 

List of parts would be:

one wing - painted. 

black bumper insert 

paint bunper

1 track rod

one alignment

a good buff

possibly a wheel centre badge

they quoted £1900 ex vat before even looking at the suspension. 

Madness. 

Sadly it’s cat n now but as I don’t plan to sell for a while and I know it’s not a dodgy repair I can live with it.