Jump to content
stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Recommended Posts

Ian Taylor in Horley, Surrey, RH6 postcode.

 

I'd only use them but there must be somewhere nearer to you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Ian Taylor in Horley, Surrey, RH6 postcode.

 

I'd only use them but there must be somewhere nearer to you? 

 

I've been to a few bodyshops to have quotes. One of them asked me was it worth bothering with?! Safe to say I didn't get a quote off them and left sharpish. It seems to be quite hard to find a bodyshop to seem interested in the work. I have a feeling this type of work may not be as profitable as insurance work, so understandably they'd rather not do it.

 

Thanks for the details, I'll look at them tomorrow. 

Edited by stu08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit busy over a few cars the past two days;

 

First, a long overdue o/s front control arm change on the M635CSi - it had been on there a long, long time, and the ball joint really did not want to come out  - I also rust treated then painted the strut and brake pipe while I was in there - you've got to look after the old'uns.

 

Second, a refresh of anti-roll bar drop links and bushes on the E39 to rid myself of an annoying rattle over uneven bumps - job done, quick test drive and no rattle, happy days.

 

Third, a set of dropped headlights on the E38 led me to check the front o/s sensor which I found to have a broken link... and I also spotted a busted anti-roll bar bush support - eeek. A day earlier the brake warning light had came on so I suspected the front pads were worn down and I was right. Link ordered and fitted, lights fixed; brake pads on the massive but funky dual piston sliding foot front calipers fitted but the brake pad sensor broke, thought I had a spare but didn't and the anti-roll bar clamp was delayed so waiting on the clamp and brake pad sensor to have trouble-free limo running.

 

Term breaks are great for ignoring the kids and cracking on with car maintenance :lol:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOT day.  Just fitted new track control arms, front pads and handbrake linings.  Failed.  But, it was a tyre. Apparently the tracking was out and took the corner off.  New pair and front and rear tracked up.  Should get the pass certificate on Monday. Reading the V5, it transpires I’ve had the car for nine years.  Best driving, most reliable and cheapest to run car I’ve ever had.  Love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been given the run around by local garage. Gggrrrrrrrrr

ordered a new fuel pump after a long and detailed chat with Richard at the local stealers. Turns out that the job is a cakewalk. I'll be doing the job myself from now on!!

Edited by eleanorsskipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coincidentally my dad had a Daimler V8 250 (in rare factory manual) that I borrowed and ran for about a year.. was a fantastic car to drive around in some days. I even drove it down to the Goodwood Revival a few years back (and had to get low loadered home.....) but the handling was utterly terrifying and the steering back breakingly heavy! Glorious looking thing though :)

Edited by chicaneuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I have had a quick spanner on the saloon to extract the alternator. Ever since I have owned it it’s whistled, like the car is supercharged. Confirmed with a stethoscope on it that it was the culprit for the noise. So, it was a nice afternoon so set about extracting it.

 

Usual knuckle grazing affair but came out just fine. Got a local place that rebuilds them for reasonable money so think I will go that route though have seen enthusiasm on here for some cheap eBay ones. Hmm... 

 

Ducting up the alternator was free of leaves but under the plastic cover on the rear of the alternator itself, fed by the duct, was full of leaves and (weirdly) cigarette butts! 

 

30DC2D54-377E-4955-8868-11FF26AA85B9.jpeg

Edited by chicaneuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also forgot this was in the boot and nice and cold from being in the garage. A fine beverage to enjoy whilst working in the sun. Picked it up in Germany last week as a test (a very un-German beer really so was intrigued) and is most agreeable! 

94E98D0C-3BB7-4863-B2B5-7D2255C54575.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delivery this morning of chrome finish bolts for the rear wheels, so they now match the fronts. Also, 40mm thread length chrome lockers for the front as I have 15mm spacers installed. Pack of four so I guess I could make them double secure by using two on each wheel. 20190420_134517_HDR-1.jpg.78b08e9b599021da8a6e707e5f068ff3.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not today, but Friday...drove from Portsmouth to Liverpool to fit a sport front bumper and AUX fan thanks to @AlexGSi2000 Transformed the look of the car 100 fold! Also, at least I have a working AUX fan now. Mine hasn't worked since I bought the e39 6 years ago due to a blown fuse caused by the AUX fan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DerekJr. said:

Not today, but Friday...drove from Portsmouth to Liverpool to fit a sport front bumper and AUX fan thanks to @AlexGSi2000 Transformed the look of the car 100 fold! Also, at least I have a working AUX fan now. Mine hasn't worked since I bought the e39 6 years ago due to a blown fuse caused by the AUX fan. 

 

 

‘Saw this on Insta pal, looks bang on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took alternator into local specialists for a rebuild :) 

 

Confirmed it was whistling / whining on their test bench and also found whilst it wasn’t flagging a warning on the car and seemed to be charging the battery fine, they reckon it wasn’t outputting the correct voltage on the bench. So think I managed to head off a potential issue before it became an issue by taking it in purely for being noisy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Took alternator into local specialists for a rebuild :) 

 

Confirmed it was whistling / whining on their test bench and also found whilst it wasn’t flagging a warning on the car and seemed to be charging the battery fine, they reckon it wasn’t outputting the correct voltage on the bench. So think I managed to head off a potential issue before it became an issue by taking it in purely for being noisy. 

 

Interesting to read; do they repair it there and then, or do you need to collect it at a later date?

 

What were the test results re voltage etc, did they say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Interesting to read; do they repair it there and then, or do you need to collect it at a later date?

 

What were the test results re voltage etc, did they say?

 

It’s a drop off and collect later... often they can get it done same day but in my case will be tomorrow. £89+VAT. 

 

Not sure on the test results but I will certainly ask about it if I remember tomorrow when I go back :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed that mine smells a bit oily when hot. No visible leaks, engine bay clean, but the nose knows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Noticed that mine smells a bit oily when hot. No visible leaks, engine bay clean, but the nose knows...

 

Check back corner of rocker cover, where's its slightly hidden under the microfilter intake that connects to the bulkhead; more than likely leaking there or from one of the bolt rubbers and dripping onto the exhaust mani and then burning off ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

 

It’s a drop off and collect later... often they can get it done same day but in my case will be tomorrow. £89+VAT. 

 

Not sure on the test results but I will certainly ask about it if I remember tomorrow when I go back :) 

 

Super; update when you can

 

My local starter motor and alternator specialists have quoted me £120 for a fully refurbed alternator and with 18 months warranty! Think I'll sort one next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I’ve bitten the bullet & bought a new fuel pump.

Told the garage to get it out so I can deal with it & I’m going to fit the bloody thing myself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Removed my aluminium effect interior trim as I finally got a set of piano black trim for my anthracite alcantara interior. Couldn't get on with the aluminium effect trim and wood just doesn't seem to work with a cloth interior for me. 

 

Going to fit it this weekend!

Edited by stu08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. Does anyone know how much fuel should be squirting out of the rail feed pipe when pump is running and the pipe is disconnected?

ive got fuel out, but not masses, and there’s bugger all on the return line!

seems there’s low pressure, not 40-50 psi!

Edited by eleanorsskipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Hi all. Does anyone know how much fuel should be squirting out of the rail feed pipe when pump is running and the pipe is disconnected?

ive got fuel out, but not masses, and there’s bugger all on the return line!

seems there’s low pressure, not 40-50 psi!

 

Ask this as a question on its own otherwise it'll get lost in here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2019 at 18:56, DerekJr. said:

Not today, but Friday...drove from Portsmouth to Liverpool to fit a sport front bumper and AUX fan thanks to @AlexGSi2000 Transformed the look of the car 100 fold! Also, at least I have a working AUX fan now. Mine hasn't worked since I bought the e39 6 years ago due to a blown fuse caused by the AUX fan. 

 

Looks superb Derek - well worth the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×