stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

52 minutes ago, DatV8 said:

Dropped my M5 in for a wheel refurb today.  I'll FINALLY fit my pair of rears on the front for square setup.

Would like to see pictures when complete DatV8 please.

Took it in to get both rear rose bushes replaced. The bolt (number 7) that goes on the Integral link snapped on driver's side, and the eccentric bolt (number 11) that goes through the swing part was seized on both sides. The garage phoned his suppliers and none of them had number 11 in stock. He phoned BMW and you can't only get the bush...you have to buy the whole arm for +£400 each. So he found a supplier on eBay that can do it. However, it comes from Germany and should get here by Monday. The good news is that once this is all done, I can get the car aligned :lol:

diag_3thn.png

16 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

came across this on youtube today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9G0s4f_zA

looks like a nice mod.

I've done this before but swiftly changed back to normal.

Due to the shape of the diamond key - the boot release button kept getting pressed and when i came back to my car later on - the boor was wide open ready to be pilfered by some local scumbags.

Also - i had to buy new boot struts as the e39 oem ones - the end joint cannot come off...the e36 must be slightly different.

Admittedly it is a really cool feature - but the risks outweighed the coolness.

Swapped my daily (530d Touring) back to the summer wheels (which are actually really tatty 16" Style 33's and far less nice than my winter alloys... go figure) and also resolved a problem where my washer fluid reservoir was steadily emptying itself over a period of a couple of days. I've previously replaced one pump that seemed to be continually leaking when not in use, but now found another pump doing the exact same thing. Replaced it with the pump from the intensive wash system for the time being, and will just replace that one down the line as I never use intensive wash anyway. 

It's nice to start the car and have no warning chime about the fluid reservoir being empty, finally! :)

Edited by chicaneuk

On 10/04/2019 at 19:06, DerekJr. said:

Took it in to get both rear rose bushes replaced. The bolt (number 7) that goes on the Integral link snapped on driver's side, and the eccentric bolt (number 11) that goes through the swing part was seized on both sides. The garage phoned his suppliers and none of them had number 11 in stock. He phoned BMW and you can't only get the bush...you have to buy the whole arm for +£400 each. So he found a supplier on eBay that can do it. However, it comes from Germany and should get here by Monday. The good news is that once this is all done, I can get the car aligned :lol:

diag_3thn.png

Had a number of bolts seized inside bushings and though I had to had them cut and new ordered. The mechanic just laughed and used his air impact wrench to break them loose. All good - I was expecting them to be completely corroded but on the contrary they were pretty much like new, shiny in fact. 

I think you can get the bushings for the arms at autodoc.

Dropped mine off at 07:30 this morning to my local bodyshop. Localized paint correction to a scuff on the lower nearside of front bumper, nearside A pillar repair and spray due to stone chip, lower nearside rear passenger door below door trim due to small indentation and chip and finally rear bumper removal for complete spraying due to a couple of lower nearside bumper scuffs and a small scratch centrally under the plate.

All hardy noticeable except for the A pillar, but will be good to have it 101% perfect in that way.     

OCD R US.com :lol:

Edited by Loadmaster

Little project from the last few days - I decided I couldn't bear to look at my naff black wheels any longer, but I can't justify the cost right now for a full refurb. Time to break out the rattle-cans :D

First up, set up a Dexter-style kill room impromptu paint booth in the garage:

46712071675_2aa32332b9_c.jpg

Then get the car up off its wheels:

33750248928_0f5f842836_c.jpg

I have to say, it's nice knowing all the jacking points are solid when you're doing this on a driveway :o 

This is what we're starting with after a degrease and deep clean (read: session with a bucket of hot water, Fairy liquid and a scourer pad):

32684974497_8e00dc1a7a_c.jpg

Then sand, clean again, mask and primer:

47627550011_78ed1ecc7d_c.jpg

40661153163_ecbd5f450b_c.jpg

46903300914_606ed8a021_c.jpg

Three coats of Ford Mercury Grey. From Halfords. Yes, really.

46903303524_800bb04981_c.jpg

Couple coats of heavy duty lacquer:

40661158533_0e38a1a873_c.jpg

.....and done!

33750259818_3f2a9965c2_c.jpg

47627558511_c69604461d_c.jpg

33750264018_7221f55ed7_c.jpg

Before:
46712112045_391c28b841_c.jpg

After:
47574831152_ed319c0a3f_c.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that, overall. They're not perfect but I've managed to avoid any weird runs in the paint or overspray. With any luck they'll last me a year or so before they flake to bits and I have to pay someone to do them properly :hehe:

They look spot on @benedwards64 8) 

I did my previous winter Turbines in a similar fashion; ended up using Rover Metallic grey and Halfrauds lacquer; they looked spot on for me ;) 

If you've sprayed them evenly and lacquered them well; I can't see what they'd peel (bar stone chips etc); however, I agree, it's hard to beat a full strip back and powdercoat! 

On the radar for me too, a home wheel refurb, on my Style 33's. They're not curbed really but the paint is just totally shot on them so.. nice to see some really good results like the above :)

Mine were back from a wheel refurb last week too, haven't yet got my square setup on but they look miles better than they were.  I've got a pair of rear tyres on the way so should have the rear wheels fitted on the front over the weekend once the tyres are fitted.

20190413_162241.thumb.jpg.0055100f90fa4570692ef0f707d020fa.jpg20190413_190847.thumb.jpg.0d998f85e0cd7cf1f3ea8ebcf02b1fbf.jpg20190413_190857.thumb.jpg.ac12d6d6397f8cb92b46326889e2e39a.jpg

59 minutes ago, DatV8 said:

Mine were back from a wheel refurb last week too, haven't yet got my square setup on but they look miles better than they were.  I've got a pair of rear tyres on the way so should have the rear wheels fitted on the front over the weekend once the tyres are fitted.

20190413_162241.thumb.jpg.0055100f90fa4570692ef0f707d020fa.jpg20190413_190847.thumb.jpg.0d998f85e0cd7cf1f3ea8ebcf02b1fbf.jpg20190413_190857.thumb.jpg.ac12d6d6397f8cb92b46326889e2e39a.jpg

Where did you get them done? I cant find anyone in the north who knows how to do shadow chrome properly but they look brilliant!

42 minutes ago, Jameswsb said:

Where did you get them done? I cant find anyone in the north who knows how to do shadow chrome properly but they look brilliant!

Got these done at Customise Your Wheels in Bootle, Liverpool.  The owner is called Leon.  Nice chap and I'm very happy with the colour and finish.  They're even first sprayed black all over with the wheel face sprayed with silver chrome with a certain number of passes as per OEM method.  These were £60 a wheel which is a bargain!

20190413_133054.thumb.jpg.05e62519786dc2b3c92cfcfbeea64bd5.jpg

Had it up on my pals ramps; on the back of that...

• All 4 rear arms ordered (Meyle HD ones); as all 4 had deteriorated bushes :roll:
  • Full brake discs and pad overhaul ordered via Mtec (Grooved discs, EBC Yellowstuff front pads; Mtec rear pads)
  • HEL braided brake lines ordered via a reseller on eBay and Motul DOT5.1 fluid ordered too

Cars booked in for 29th, will get pics of it all then ;) 

Collected mine from the bodyshop late this afternoon. All minor corrections complete and rear bumper removed and sprayed. Doesn't look any different in the pics, but perfect in reality... :D20190417_183924_HDR-1.jpg.e29df1efde100aa9fe9e97bf18f2f4ea.jpg20190417_183859_HDR-1.jpg.db2d259ac5a74b0f9f6d0589b562dff0.jpg20190417_183958_HDR-1.jpg.77ba6175f4d4c9c08c57779c55032b8c.jpg

19 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Collected mine from the bodyshop late this afternoon. All minor corrections complete and rear bumper removed and sprayed. Doesn't look any different in the pics, but perfect in reality... :D20190417_183924_HDR-1.jpg.e29df1efde100aa9fe9e97bf18f2f4ea.jpg20190417_183859_HDR-1.jpg.db2d259ac5a74b0f9f6d0589b562dff0.jpg20190417_183958_HDR-1.jpg.77ba6175f4d4c9c08c57779c55032b8c.jpg

Looks spot on that Keith ;) 

Are you finding any degraded rubber/plastics on the car, due to the heat in Japan?

Our cars could have been from completely different ends of Japan, but some of the plastics on mine (external items) are fairly brittle!

Thanks Dan, very pleased with their work. it's a local company to me just 20 mins walk from home and they specialize in classic restorations, so this was a walk in the park for them! There were only three small and fairly unnoticeable scuffs and a big stone chip on the N/S A pillar, but you know how it is!

No, I'd say that the external plastics and rubbers are in pretty good nick and I've noticed none that are brittle or faded. It was definitely a Tokyo car which is confirmed by it's BMW service history, all services having been carried out at the Tennoushu service centre. Possibly yours was from the other end of Japan but I wouldn't think climate varies that much.  It's only the wiper arms that need attention now, but they scrub up well with the occsional application of tyre and bumper gel. I really should remove and paint them .  

Edited by Loadmaster

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Thanks Dan, very pleased with their work. it's a local company to me just 20 mins walk from home and they specialize in classic restorations, so this was a walk in the park for them! There were only three small and fairly unnoticeable scuffs and a big stone chip on the N/S A pillar, but you know how it is!

No, I'd say that the external plastics and rubbers are in pretty good nick and I've noticed none that are brittle or faded. It's only the wiper arms that need attention now, but they scrub up well with the occsional application of tyre and bumper gel. I really should remove and paint them .  

Haha I do that re the wiper arms too :lol: 

Mine were a sod to remove off my previous 530i; so I just covered the front of the car with an old sheet/curtain and sprayed the arms in situ

Looks great @Loadmaster

I find the details which aren't really noticeable are the most satisfying when done. 

If you don't mind me asking, who did the work and where are they located? I need a new front wing fitting and bootlid fitting and a front end respray. Really struggling to find a decent bodyshop. 

1 minute ago, stu08 said:

Looks great @Loadmaster

I find the details which aren't really noticeable are the most satisfying when done. 

If you don't mind me asking, who did the work and where are they located? I need a new front wing fitting and bootlid fitting and a front end respray. Really struggling to find a decent bodyshop. 

Thanks Stu. Are you in the South East? 

Oh, and I ordered a set of chrome wheel bolts for the rear wheels to replace the black ones currently fitted, so they now match all round, plus 40mm chrome lockers for the fronts, due to the 15mm spacers. All from Precision Parts who were really helpful on the phone when I couldn't see what I wanted on their Amazon store page. :rolleyes:

Edited by Loadmaster

14 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Thanks Stu. Are you in the South East? 

I'm in The West Midlands, but have travelled hundreds of miles before for work (mechanical) to be done on my car. I have no issues with a long drive if the place is a good one and will take pride in their work.