stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

18 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I’ve got a facelift pair that I’m going to replace the adjusters on & fit.

I’ll get her looking swish one day!

I've not got the patience nor deftness to do this repair; plus hands like shovels don't help!

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I've not got the patience nor deftness to do this repair; plus hands like shovels don't help!

I know what you mean. Still, nothing ventured etc!

Currently in with my indie for a power steering fluid leak investigation. Turned out to be a loose hose due to a failed crimp attachment. 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:41 PM, duncan-uk said:

Risked a hernia when replacing the touring battery - a replacement from ECP as original had failed inside 2 years emoji20.png

On 3/4/2019 at 8:46 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Took mine out today as whoever fitted it didn't use the clamps properly; so when going over a bump it bounced :roll::lol: Didn't find it too bad TBH

Based on other peoples accounts, I was expecting it to be a fair bit of effort. Mine failed this weekend, RAC call out (full cover from work and I don't have a charger at present, so why not!), completely dead old battery which he replaced for me so I didn't get to find out first hand. From a watchers point of view though, he made it look easy, leant in through tailgate, straight out, not even a huff or puff from him :)

On 3/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, eleanorsskipper said:

The beast has its mot tomorrow!

Damage report please?

On 04/03/2019 at 20:30, Pzero said:

Have a little faith!

Well faith didn't help much.....the beast failed it's MOT!

Seems the dreaded handbrake gremlins have been at work! The shoes were replaced 2 years ago, along with all the rest too. Hopefully, and since I use 'park' o 'park it', all it should need are them bedding in.

2nd la,bad reading was outside limits, but when they have put the proper exhaust sleeves on, from where they had to cut the pipe for last years MOT, that should solve that problem.

There was a blown bulb, damn!!!

And the near side headlight was too high, with a broken adjuster.

I can deal with it all, but I've got the mast aft my boat, and need to put it back up on Sat, and the weather is against me at the mo!

Too many projects really!!!

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Currently in with my indie for a power steering fluid leak investigation. Turned out to be a loose hose due to a failed crimp attachment. 

Very common Keith

I'll be sorting mine on Tuesday (drain the fluid, take the hoses off, slice about 3mm off them, reattach and fix in place with jubilee clips); all done :) 

2 hours ago, SplitBusVanatic said:

Gave the old 5 a quick wash. 

8DB2FCA4-7000-41E4-8D94-1ED6421E7F55.jpeg

That looks lovely, really does. Good quality photo as well.

Sold it :sad:

(Well, on Sunday)

Felt quite emotional actually, I bloody loved that car. Saw an identical one today, and regretted it! Then I remembered that the mint car I was looking at was not mine and that I needed a daily driver...

I did keep something as a souvenir though....

C50E6A37-73AF-4824-8630-D181F8859976.jpeg

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

On 02/03/2019 at 15:40, Marc_86 said:

Got round to changing my pads, discs and callipers along with a brake bleed.

Cheers Tims again for sorting me the 540 callipers.

Cheers again d_a_n1979 for the brake advice...although I did bottle the mtec c-hooks and pads...so stuck to my tried and tested pagid. ECP had a 55% sale so couldn't say no.

Everything went like a charm...although my disc shield needed a bit of persuading off my mallet so it didn't contact the disc.

Then after wrapping up...took it for a gentle spin round the block and there was an awful scraping sound coming from the o/s. 

Come back and whipped the wheel back off...and clocked a tiny stone wedged between the disc and plate...after a bit of poking and ramming with a metal ruler...the stone was free and the disc span freely with no noise.

Wheel back on, another spin around the block...nice and quiet now.

I've been bedding them in and the stopping force at higher speeds is definitely noticeable. Cant wait for them to get even better once fully bed-in.

Oh and for the possible haters...we all know red callipers gives you an extra hp per wheel :lol::lol::lol:

20190302_092348.thumb.jpg.802a435c3e044f4a0b5b6169f9302ad4.jpg

20190302_092404.jpg

20190302_101123.jpg

20190302_110535.jpg

20190302_113125.jpg

I too am planning on fitting the larger front brakes (296mm -> 324mm) usually found on the 530i, V8s, and facelift 530d. I've just collected a set of 530i Mtec C-hook discs for my 523i. Tomorrow evening I'll be collecting a used set of facelift 530d callipers which I intend of refurbishing and painting red.  For the pads, I'll get some Brembos from ECP. I've used them for a while now and no complaints from me. However, I've noticed that ECP gives two sizes for the pads? 

Strange that as when I searched ECP...they have 2 x disc options with slight differences...but for pads...only one choice came up from various brands. All sizes appeared the same?

Installed an Alpina B10 V8 exhaust system from the cat back onto my 540i. What a difference. Anyone want the old system? off a 60,000 mile car. 

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

Aargh! The beast failed!!!

1. N/S headlight too high, (the adjuster wheel has broken, but I’ve got facelift lights to replace the originals that I’ve not got round to yet).

2. N/S bulb blown! Replacement is in the boot.

3. 2nd Lambda Reading outside limits, (they’ve ordered the right exhaust pipe connections, which should solve the problem.

4. Handbrake below effective limit.

So much for faith!!!

4 hours ago, eb88 said:

Installed an Alpina B10 V8 exhaust system from the cat back onto my 540i. What a difference. Anyone want the old system? off a 60,000 mile car. 

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

I bet the sound has improved. Has the performance improved too?

Swapped over the headlights with the replacement lights from Hella...

Been sent LHD ones; found out when my pal at his MOT station went to align them correctly :angry: :mad: :roll:

Replacements ordered; hopefully with me tomorrow

Ordered front splitter for the m5 bumper I have ready to be painted, called lots of breakers to find a rear bumper.... No luck, damn that woman that drove into the back of me two weeks ago! 

All the best

Matt :)

• Fitted the correct RHD headlights along with all new Osram H7 bulbs, for now, until I refit the xenons
  • Pressed aluminium number plates fitted
  • Air filter changed for a K&N panel filter
  • New cabin filters fitted
  • New front tyres fitted

Knackered :lol: 

On 08/03/2019 at 22:26, Tomsontour said:

Ordered front splitter for the m5 bumper I have ready to be painted, called lots of breakers to find a rear bumper.... No luck, damn that woman that drove into the back of me two weeks ago! 

All the best

Matt :)

Sport bumpers (especially rears) seem to be very hard to come by I've found, have you looked at the aftermarket bumpers? I had one on my 330d and it was a good fit and decent quality. :)

10 hours ago, NWJW said:

Sport bumpers (especially rears) seem to be very hard to come by I've found, have you looked at the aftermarket bumpers? I had one on my 330d and it was a good fit and decent quality. :)

I've managed to find one hopefully picking it up this week :) if not it will be an aftermarket bumper :)

Just done the beast’s handbrake.

Failed the MOT for inefficiency. Seized adjuster sorted. Shoes rubbed down, inside of disc/drum abraded. Stops well now. Back for a retest with it all sorted next week, before the original MOT expires.

For a 20 year old car, she’s not in bad fettle really!

Edited by eleanorsskipper
Spelling. Fat fingers, small buttons!

Just as aside. The exhaust is original, I think, and there are several redundant parts. Typically where twin pipes exited.

Hmmm. Thinks to self, how easy would it be to put pipes into the redundant boxes etc and improve the gas flow.

After all, an engine has to both breathe in and out. Making that easier might reap rewards. Hmmmmm

Met up with @stu08 and was very pleased to pick up a complete set of pre-facelight, new old stock headlights and tail lights for my saloon. When I bought it, it came with facelift units applied which arguably do look better but I had an itch to turn it back to "original" styling. Fitted the lights in the (ludicrous) wind earlier and really pleased with how she looks now though need a couple of gaskets for headlights all of which seem to be available variously from BMW for not much money.

Will get a picture at some point with the new old lights installed!

• New spark plugs
  • Oil & filter change (Triple QX 5W40 & Mann filter)
  • New Walher stat and Meyle water pump fitted
  • Full coolant flush and refill
  • New Meyle belts fitted
  • Ering oil filter housing gasket fitted
  •  Heater valve replaced with a fully working OEM used one; heaters all as they should be now 8) 

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:
  • New spark plugs
  • Oil & filter change (Triple QX 5W40 & Mann filter)
  • New Walher stat and Meyle water pump fitted
  • Full coolant flush and refill
  • New Meyle belts fitted
  • Ering oil filter housing gasket fitted
  •  Heater valve replaced with a fully working OEM used one; heaters all as they should be now 8) 

Coming along nicely there. You don't hang around do you when you say your going to sort something.

Just now, Marc_86 said:

Coming along nicely there. You don't hang around do you when you say your going to sort something.

Haha no... The cooling system is not something I’d hang around with though TBH. There was slight play in the water pump. Thankfully the rad was replaced in early 2015; the date was on a sticker on the top of the rad