Jump to content
stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Recommended Posts

Finally got round to wiring in the dashcam properly from fusebox. So long dangling cig lighter lead!

But in doing so I have developed a new found hatred for the inside of a BMW dashboard .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up my resprayed wing mirror covers (cheers to M535-Man for supplying the covers!) from the garage. 

Clips on the old ones had broken a long time ago, so I'd used a blob of Sikaflex hold them on ever since. Seems that stuff is stickier than I thought, and a little goes a long way. Turns out that the 'blob' I had put there was in reality better described as a metric f**kton, and I've had to almost destroy the old covers whilst trying to get this infernal black super gunk to release it's grip.

 

Oh well, at least the new caps look good, nice to have them match the car at last :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, I do love it, but I've purchased a new(er) car. I live somewhere rural that really only has car access, and need 100% reliability.

 

As it's 18 years old, it needs an owner that is willing to tackle the rust and the issues, and I'm afraid I kind of feel like I've put enough time and money into it at this point. I don't mind tinkering with engines, but bodywork stuff is beyond my skill level.

 

I'd love to be able to keep it and work on it when I had time - but, it isn't an M5 or even a 530 or 540i...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

As it's 18 years old, it needs an owner that is willing to tackle the rust and the issues, and I'm afraid I kind of feel like I've put enough time and money into it at this point. I don't mind tinkering with engines, but bodywork stuff is beyond my skill level.

A familiar tale sadly. Same reason I had to part with my 528 which I loved. Happy to get stuck into the (many) mechanical issues that arose, but rust is not so simple...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put new front pads and discs on mine today, nothing was seized, nothing was rusty, nothing was rounded off, it was quite an enjoyable couple of hours to be honest. :)

 

Although I did find that the dust cover on my offside front lower arm is completely fooked, and my front tyres are more worn out than I thought...:angry:

 

Edited by NWJW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 14:19, TeddyRuxpin said:

Put it on eBay :-( :-( :-(

Sorry to hear that Teddy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, received my interior LEDs last week so decided to install today as it was quite mild. Everything started off great and was flying through the "upgrade".

But, as always, things started to degrade. Could not get the map reading domes to fit, I tried every which way, no go, so left the originals in. Everything else was fine apart from the fact that I was one led short, so have not completed the boot ceiling light (touring). I have contacted the eBay seller who was brilliant and is aware of a few e39s with the bayonet probs. He has a fix for that and is going to send the missing led for the rear so hopefully should have the interior sorted by next week. That's if I can fix the rear passengers cluster that I managed to break when prying it from the roof lining.

Anyway, whilst I was doing all this I replaced the number plate bulbs as well and noticed that the reverse light on the drivers side wasn't working, used a spare from the e38 and then both didn't work. Swapped it out again and I had one working again. All very strange. Took the car to the local shops so I could see reflections in shoo windows and noticed that rear drivers side light had also given up the ghost, had a fiddle in the tailgate, if in doubt, hit it with something, it came back on. So must be a loose wire, bad earth, somewhere, but where ?

Anyone had similar probs. Wish I hadn't started to mess with it now.:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Shelfside said:

LED install shenanigans :angry:

I feel your pain, friend. See my post about them on the last page, my LED map lights didn't work and I'm not going to bother sorting them out (not to mention that every time I've fitted them, they've caused my Touring's SLS to go inactive and need the fuses pulled to reset it, god only knows how that works).

 

I think I was in the same thread discussing lights as you a couple of weeks back, which inspired me to order some. Seller for mine (SMY30 on eBay) got back to me saying that my map light sockets must be 'reverse wired'... Whatever man, I'm not going to bother with them anyway, the ball ache to get those bulbs in isn't something I want to do again and I'm happy enough with the cabin lights. As RichardP said in previous post, don't remember the last time I used a map light.

 

Spooky about that OSR light - my '98 528 used to regularly have that same bulb out, and was always remedied by a whack on the rear light lens. Same one every time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pzero said:

I feel your pain, friend. See my post about them on the last page, my LED map lights didn't work and I'm not going to bother sorting them out (not to mention that every time I've fitted them, they've caused my Touring's SLS to go inactive and need the fuses pulled to reset it, god only knows how that works).

 

I think I was in the same thread discussing lights as you a couple of weeks back, which inspired me to order some. Seller for mine (SMY30 on eBay) got back to me saying that my map light sockets must be 'reverse wired'... Whatever man, I'm not going to bother with them anyway, the ball ache to get those bulbs in isn't something I want to do again and I'm happy enough with the cabin lights. As RichardP said in previous post, don't remember the last time I used a map light.

 

Spooky about that OSR light - my '98 528 used to regularly have that same bulb out, and was always remedied by a whack on the rear light lens. Same one every time...

Heard a buzzing noise from the rear when trying the front map lights. Didn't know what that was but sounds like it could of been the SLS. What do I need to do to make sure that's OK ? Have driven the car since changing the bulbs and it seems OK, (suspension wise), but a bit worried now. Why can't I just leave things alone.

Also, why didn't I get an error on dash for rear light not working ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pzero said:

I feel your pain, friend. See my post about them on the last page, my LED map lights didn't work and I'm not going to bother sorting them out (not to mention that every time I've fitted them, they've caused my Touring's SLS to go inactive and need the fuses pulled to reset it, god only knows how that works).

 

I think I was in the same thread discussing lights as you a couple of weeks back, which inspired me to order some. Seller for mine (SMY30 on eBay) got back to me saying that my map light sockets must be 'reverse wired'... Whatever man, I'm not going to bother with them anyway, the ball ache to get those bulbs in isn't something I want to do again and I'm happy enough with the cabin lights. As RichardP said in previous post, don't remember the last time I used a map light.

 

Spooky about that OSR light - my '98 528 used to regularly have that same bulb out, and was always remedied by a whack on the rear light lens. Same one every time...

OK, just read your post on previous page. Didn't get any messages regarding SLS, only heard the noise, so guess I won't have to pull fuses 49 and 50.

Still a bit confused by the rear light cluster problem though, everything looks in order. If I replace duff reverse light, the good one packs up as well. If I remove new replacement the other good one starts working again.:oops:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the exact second I switched on one of those map lights, heard the SLS pump run. Car was parked level and key not even in the ignition. Didn't think anything of it, until next time I started her up and got the warning on the dash. Reset it fine, but then lo and behold, tried a different bulb, switched it on, and heard the pump again. I switched off the light instantly, pump still ran for a few seconds though. No warning displayed that time. A further final attempt on a different day got me the same again, another warning and needed fuses doing again. Not pushing my luck any more, I'll be fine without map lights!

 

If you haven't got the warning on the dash and all feels fine, I wouldn't worry. If you do get the warning, I found pulling and reseating fuse 49 or 50 (can't remember which one, check my post on last page) did the job, warning cleared and pump ran and brought the car up again straight away.

 

Edit - you pre-replied to this reply. Pre-plied? :)

Edited by Pzero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 15:22, TeddyRuxpin said:

I know, I do love it, but I've purchased a new(er) car. I live somewhere rural that really only has car access, and need 100% reliability.

 

As it's 18 years old, it needs an owner that is willing to tackle the rust and the issues, and I'm afraid I kind of feel like I've put enough time and money into it at this point. I don't mind tinkering with engines, but bodywork stuff is beyond my skill level.

 

I'd love to be able to keep it and work on it when I had time - but, it isn't an M5 or even a 530 or 540i...!

Hi all,

sorry to hear that Teddy. I bit the billet last year & had the rust done on the beast. I wondered why I was shredding the lhr tyre. Seems I only just got away with it! Phew!!

Anyway, I’ve had a lot in recently, so she’s taken a bit of a back seat recently.

next jobs on her are the lights, thank you for the info all!

Got to sort out the reversing lights too. I think it’s the switch.

I bought a replacement instrument display off eBay, but I can’t keep the DSC light to stay off over about 10mph!

Also I have to sort out the pass seat sensor, so I can take the paper out from the warning light!

Its all go! And it’s my daily drive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2019 at 23:22, NWJW said:

Put new front pads and discs on mine today, nothing was seized, nothing was rusty, nothing was rounded off, it was quite an enjoyable couple of hours to be honest. :)

 

Although I did find that the dust cover on my offside front lower arm is completely fooked, and my front tyres are more worn out than I thought...:angry:

 

   

.....Not fooked enough to fail an mot though! Got myself another 12 months ticket today. :cool: 

 

  However, a major suspension refresh is looking imminent, and I need tyres, and my brake lines are rusty.....

 ...... I love E39's! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran the radio extension harness, 4 phono cables, an aerial and the GPS aerial to the boot via all the trim panels.  Only snapped most of the clips.

 

Follows the OEM routing and is lovely and hidden.  Got the Android Eonon in and setup, it looks good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove to work in it and now keep looking out of the office window to see her sitting in the car park.

 

But those amber side lights are really looking dated now, so just ordered a set of clear headlights and rear lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A damn good clean up... Only to then notice a new stone chip in the bonnet edge. Bah. 

Oh well, tomorrow the not at all troublesome job of replacing the tailgate cylinders. Yay. 

bah.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.5 hours spent polishing the E39 staggered 19" Alpinas before putting them on the car to replace the M-Paras with winter rubber; putting them on wasn't exactly easy as as I busted two ribs about a week ago... and then managed to bust one again a week later just rolling over in bed. Five more weeks of Codiene and diclofenac and I should be back at work and pain free.

At least B10 V8 Touring 012/1 looks epic again :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Touring tailgate cylinders done. After agro getting the first side pair in, knocked up a special tool of my own (sorry BMW, won't be buying yours today) and easy life. Copper pipe is your friend...

 

Did the second pair in 10 minutes flat, ball joints on first attempt for each. Feeling smug, and enjoying the novelty of not having to balance tailgate on my head when doing anything in the boot.

Edited by Pzero
bloody autocorrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the weekend, replaced the fronts discs and pads (wobbly discs after not great mileage) and provided a motorway / cross country taxi service. Clocked past 100K miles in an aged but great car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2019 at 21:32, sharkfan said:

1.5 hours spent polishing the E39 staggered 19" Alpinas before putting them on the car to replace the M-Paras with winter rubber; putting them on wasn't exactly easy as as I busted two ribs about a week ago... and then managed to bust one again a week later just rolling over in bed. Five more weeks of Codiene and diclofenac and I should be back at work and pain free.

At least B10 V8 Touring 012/1 looks epic again :D

Sorry to hear about the ribs!

as one 540i touring owner to another, please put some pics up.

R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2019 at 07:58, eleanorsskipper said:

Sorry to hear about the ribs!

as one 540i touring owner to another, please put some pics up.

R

 

In the afternoon sun today after a quick wash...

260220192101.thumb.jpg.e4297309c0f48a166eed1519d15ae51c.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×