stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

12 hours ago, NWJW said:

I did the same as mine hadn't even been started since last Sunday, I took it for a run over the moors (Llangynidr if anyone knows it), it may have been a shitty rainy day but I still enjoyed it. ;):)

I know it well:D   The good thing about shitty rainy days is that there are none of the "special" idiot bikers on the road!

You will notice I am choosing my words carefully as they only represent the minority of the bikers but it only takes one and they are still idiots when they are on the wrong side of the road.

2 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

I know it well:D   The good thing about shitty rainy days is that there are none of the "special" idiot bikers on the road!

You will notice I am choosing my words carefully as they only represent the minority of the bikers but it only takes one and they are still idiots when they are on the wrong side of the road.

You sound like people from these pols who vote that BMW drivers are the rudest and inconsiderate drivers! You said yourself it only takes one and that one probably pissed you off! :)

Most BMW drivers I have seen or know are good drivers, always polite and the same I can say about motorbike riders I know!

5 hours ago, benysound said:

Goals reached!:wub:

27017880_1511171222271180_1084025232_o.j

Superb. Now, I'm not a big fan of cream interiors and thought I could never be turned because even Champagne never quite did it for me.... But I guess it depends on how its done because I love this. The luxury accessories are from a 7 or USA spec? The black and cream door cards with the contrast of the carpet...... Mmmmmm.... Is this a custom 2 tone job or individual spec option? Rarely see any other 2 tones interiors but grey and black. 

Edited by SLX530

5 hours ago, Vlady said:

You sound like people from these pols who vote that BMW drivers are the rudest and inconsiderate drivers! You said yourself it only takes one and that one probably pissed you off! :)

Most BMW drivers I have seen or know are good drivers, always polite and the same I can say about motorbike riders I know!

What are you talking about ??? you don't know me!:)

Had a bike, still have a bike, ride my bike and have been out there with my mates and have witnessed the carnage of not respecting the dangerous machine that is motorbike when in the hands of an idiot,  not to mention the devastation and trauma to other innocent parties because of irresponsible riders. You are nearly right about being pissed off, its actually anger :angry:!  when faced with some twat on my side of the road and the family in the car as a purveyor of classic cars and an enthusiast, not to mention motorcycle rider I want to rip their heads off !!  

The point I was making is that on a shity rainy day you don't have to be constantly looking around for the next idiot (MINORITY) header on his bike and if you knew the roads in this particular area you would know exactly what i mean, they are very similar to the A82 between Bridge of Orchy and Glencoe 

Edited by Captain Beaky

2 hours ago, SLX530 said:

Superb. Now, I'm not a big fan of cream interiors and thought I could never be turned because even Champagne never quite did it for me.... But I guess it depends on how its done because I love this. The luxury accessories are from a 7 or USA spec? The black and cream door cards with the contrast of the carpet...... Mmmmmm.... Is this a custom 2 tone job or individual spec option? Rarely see any other 2 tones interiors but grey and black. 

The accessories are from a 750il e38 and is a custom 2 tone job. 2 years of work and i think i will need another 4-5 to finish what i propose!

Thank's! 

Noticed the handling on my 530d was not what it should have been like. A quick check around and noticed a smaller gap tyre gap on the drivers side front wheel arch. A quick check and yes a broken coil spring 

6 hours ago, benysound said:

The accessories are from a 750il e38 and is a custom 2 tone job. 2 years of work and i think i will need another 4-5 to finish what i propose!

Thank's! 

Very impressive. I’m quite envious. Got the beast booked in for 1/2 term to have the bodywork done. New angel eyes, new front bumper and rear tailgate!

Cant wait!!!!

Watch this space. 

21 hours ago, stew99 said:

Noticed the handling on my 530d was not what it should have been like. A quick check around and noticed a smaller gap tyre gap on the drivers side front wheel arch. A quick check and yes a broken coil spring 

Lucky you did not lose your tyre, mine spring went last weekend and skewered it, the tyre cost more than the flaming spring,

Try these guys, they are in Germany the spring was £44 including delivery and an M-sport one at that. it arrived today and it was very nice of them to send me a voucher for another 5% off, use it if you want SYV598448  https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/31331093070

2 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Lucky you did not lose your tyre, mine spring went last weekend and skewered it, the tyre cost more than the flaming spring,

Try these guys, they are in Germany the spring was £44 including delivery and an M-sport one at that. it arrived today and it was very nice of them to send me a voucher for another 5% off, use it if you want SYV598448  https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/31331093070

Yeah I was lucky. Must grab a photo of it tomorrow. Must have a look at that site and thanks for the recommend and money off is better even better.  

1 hour ago, stew99 said:

Yeah I was lucky. Must grab a photo of it tomorrow. Must have a look at that site and thanks for the recommend and money off is better even better.  

No Problem

Finally, got round to replacing my GM autobox and torque converter from a breaker with only 114k miles. Now I have power and economy back again, after doing a fluid flush before refitting.

IMG_20180121_145033.jpg

How many people does it take to change a gearbox ? I count 6

Sorry had to say it!! :) brilliant picture, good effort

who is the guy in the corner?  Is he cooking the sausages Turkish?

I stripped off the front struts to swap the springs and it all turned to rat shit from there.

Drivers side was easy because the spring was broken the passengers side feck! I could not release the spring from the compressors when it was off so had to put the spring back on and could not compress the new spring to replace the broken one aaaaarh! because my spring compressor are too small so got to take them somewhere.

What a absolute nightmare day!!

2 people and 2 and a half  hours to fit a flaming stupid spring to a strut! it got jammed twice in the spring compressor what a fecking job and its still not perfect. 

Am i missing something??

5a6a5afdbfead_IMG_38381.thumb.JPG.a7b8941cdb9350b09439fd783a28bf31.JPG

5a6a5af08b8d9_IMG_38371.thumb.JPG.c2758faf18c00f405f81844eb68c67fe.JPG

5a6a5b0754d27_IMG_38401.thumb.JPG.e41cb183193b68182ce6894498d42bf1.JPG

5a6a5b13d248e_IMG_38411.thumb.JPG.bf081a73443a2acd65ffcf848cc0747b.JPG

IMG_3836[1].JPG

15 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

What a absolute nightmare day!!

2 people and 2 and a half  hours to fit a flaming stupid spring to a strut! it got jammed twice in the spring compressor what a fecking job and its still not perfect. 

Am i missing something??

Ummm... the bottom is well wrong :-( Sorry!

Looks like you need to release the load a bit (compress the springs) and rotate the bottom of the strut about 30 degrees relative to the spring.

Do these help:

6801015884_b926a68a8f_z.jpg

6801015900_b06aeb2041_z.jpg

This sis for reinstallation:

6801015868_590d2a13e0_z.jpg

I know what you are saying but this isn't my first time, I can't rotate it anymore, that is the best position that's why we were over 2 hrs. It was on and off several times.

We tried all ways, If i rotate the spring to the stop the spring position on the bottom becomes worse and creates a bigger overhang.

I,m starting to wonder myself the part number for pre 09/2000 and 2000 to 2003 for the 530D with Msport suspension is the same, but I thing the bottom spring   form/profile   is different.

51 minutes ago, Allanw said:

Ummm... the bottom is well wrong :-( Sorry!

Looks like you need to release the load a bit (compress the springs) and rotate the bottom of the strut about 30 degrees relative to the spring.

Do these help:

6801015884_b926a68a8f_z.jpg

6801015900_b06aeb2041_z.jpg

This sis for reinstallation:

6801015868_590d2a13e0_z.jpg

Cheers for the info Allen its good, I am going to compress it again in the morning using the hand compressors because the hydraulic cups just get in the way and jam it up.

Where did you get the diagrams from?

That diagram came with a brand new set of Sachs sport shocks - they are the "other" sport suspension option though - M-tecnic II??? S704 or something (can't remember!) the car is a standard sedan, but had sport suspension specified from new.

just to be clear, I broke out my mean Paint Skillz -  it needs to rotate like this:

39900191561_c6f74648d1_z.jpg

39189608534_69ccfe22d9_z.jpg

I'm not sure if you have the correct spring either - I seem to recall mine fitting quite tightly around the rubber cup on the shock - they bottom of the spring is that funny egg shape of the spring platform.

Cheers Buddy

Im off out to the workshop right now,  i,ve tried to go to the position in picture 1 because it seemed logical, plus not having seen the spring fully fitted because it snapped was not helpfull

Thanks again