harry_mason

iDrive CIC retrofit in 2004 E60

Looking to change my iDrive from the standard CCC to CIC and I've contacted a couple of people that do it and I've been quoted close to 3 grand.

I know that half the price is the cost of the unit and the labour involved in taking the thing out and fitting it back again, but Is this a straight swap and after just a matter of coding? Because if it is this, I could buy the CIC myself and fit it and then take it to get it coded.

Would all the cables and things in the back of the unit be the same as on the old one or is there cutting and soldering involved?

Straight swap but the nav will need an FSC enabler code and so will the voice control and special software to inject them in to the CIC.

Morning,

I had a look through various forums last night and the company "bimmertech" from Poland seems to have great feedback from customers. You can buy the unit from them, install it and then they connect to the CIC and remotely code it.

If it is this easy, I might just do it, without someone charging me an arm and a leg ...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

keep us posted on what is involved. Some of the prices I have seen mentioned on some threads (prob the same ones you read) look eye watering. The bits on ebay run about £700 with coding being offered for an additional £150. A far cry from what was being mentioned on the US forums. Remains to be seen if £850 actually gets you up and running or if there are other hidden expenses.

He quoted me €1700+VAT @23% for the precoded CIC and PnP activation for navigation and voice control.

Is it worth that much to you ?

So I had a word with one of the guys that has these on sale on fleabay for £800 + £150 for coding and he said that he will make the unit plug-n-play, he will precode it to my car, install an emulator on it (whatever that is, maybe it'll trick the car thinking it still has it's old unit in, no clue) and if there are any other function that stiil don't work, he will code online (i'm thinking he meant remotely).this is for an extra £200 to the total. Guy is from Lithuania.

The difference between this kit and the one from bimmertech is it doesn't have any cables included (display cable, usb cable and socket, power cable) so you are probably looking at some extra costs.

Let me explain some thing for you.

The navigation and voice control require FSC (freischalten) enabler codes to activate them, these codes are encrypted with your cars VIN no. when the activations takes place the code is checked against your VIN no. stored in the CIC (also same for CCC as well) and also the CAS (car access module), the emulator scans the CAN bus and intercepts the activation checks fooling the CIC into thinking it has the correct activation codes.

Right...so bottom line, if I buy this thing as it is and as this guy states with all the coding and emulating is it possible to work or is there coding to be done afterwards?

Sorry if I keep bugging you with this matter but I'm a complete noob with these sort of things and I can see your level of knowledge for them is pretty high :)

Harry_Mason

If he is from Poland he shouldn't be charging you VAT either!!

(BLooD knows his stuff regarding retrofits and coding.  Heeding his advise would be well worth it)

Edited by Glos Lar

Right...so bottom line, if I buy this thing as it is and as this guy states with all the coding and emulating is it possible to work or is there coding to be done afterwards?

Sorry if I keep bugging you with this matter but I'm a complete noob with these sort of things and I can see your level of knowledge for them is pretty high :)

The unit will need coding so that it knows what your cars spec i.s

Hey thanks for the info. I found some of these links myself and read them over and over again trying to understand everything that's involved in the upgrading process.

Be sure I will post everything on here when I decide to do it, no doubt in that.