Lee_523i

523i se v reg.Are dash illumination lights led or bulb ?

Can anyone please tell me if the orange illumination for the speedo etc are led or bulb?

I cant seem to find the info anywhere.Its for a 2000 523i se.

I have some mods to do and would appreciate any advice,i am trying to avoid taking

the unit apart twice just to check and then have fit them.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

My old e36 1997 were little bulbs as far as I remember. Also I think they are more likely to be bulbs as they have dimming capability.

Those bulbs are just for backlighting the LCD display. The rest of the cluster is illuminated with surface mounted LEDs (white rectangular parts in the picture). CLICK

Just as a precaution getting to those LEDs would mean removing the dials first and for beginners that's a lot more complicated than it sounds without damaging the gauge motors.

Edited by Clavurion

Of course

That brings me to a slightly different question

I bought a control panel for heated seats, dsc etc a while back, and haven't yet done anything apart from fit the panel itself, iI have still to get heater pads, looms etc, but with the panel fitted, the buttons are noticeably brighter than my other panels, such as climate etc, is there anything I can do with this at all?

Edited by ally

Of course

That brings me to a slightly different question

I bought a control panel for heated seats, dsc etc a while back, and haven't yet done anything apart from fit the panel itself, iI have still to get heater pads, looms etc, but with the panel fitted, the buttons are noticeably brighter than my other panels, such as climate etc, is there anything I can do with this at all?

Is the lighting on the panel still dimmed with the dimmer potentiometer like other panels?

Thanks ally and clavurion for your input.I checked the haynes manual and it does say intergrated leds,i just need

to find out now which size exactly.My mod will be de-soldering the old leds and replacing them  with white ones and then

i will be using red,blue and green transparant sheet filters which i will cut and glue behind the dials to  give a multi

custom display.I did this once with a rover tomcat that had  white bulbs,but the orange display was "printed" on

the back of the cluster,all i did was use fine wet and dry paper to remove the orange to give a scratch free result.

Now all i need to do here is find out if the leds on the bm are  orange or if it has that yucky orange backing.

The trick will be to get even light distribution.Once its done i will post before and after photos.

Lee

I think the leds are white Lee, with colured backing on the switches etc but could well be wrong there! Its quite easy to pop iff a switch to see

Is the lighting on the panel still dimmed with the dimmer potentiometer like other panels?

Yep, orange lights on this panel still dim with the rest