530nm

E39 530D Intermitent starting problem. Fault codes

This is getting very annoying now.  I've changed fuel filter, replaced starter motor & checked the in-line fuel pump under passenger seat is running...  What's confusing is that the car will fire up when it feels like but 90% off the time it will just keep turning over but not start!

Took it for its MOT yesterday and it was fine, Tester parked it outside and I went to start (30mins later) and it would just keep cranking but not start...  Battery went flat due to continously cranking 30 odd times.  Got a brand new battery and went to start this morning and it fired up!  after 10 mins tried again and now it's being a b*t*** again, not starting again :(

This morning

Codes today:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

The first picture is not showing the actual code, which has been logged 39 times. I guess it was for low rail pressure. When the code has been logged the RPM indicicates engine starting, supply pressure is normal, but rail pressure is only ~120 bar. First suspect is leaky injector, so measure the injector leak off first. Those later codes were only logged once, so I wouldn't worry about them yet.

Thanks Clavurion. 

I've not had a chance due to work, I used the car today, started first attempt this morning (key needs to be held for 8-10secs before it will fire up).  Parked car up, some 7 hours later it started fine again (again long crank with key) but eventually fired up on second attempt...

I know you've mentioned measuring injector leak-off (I'm not sure how I would do this?) , however I did check injector values live when car was idling and they all seem to be within tolerance, six of them similar readings to each other.  Does that not rule out faulty injectors?

Also, I'm wondering if there could be a fault with one of the pumps under the rear seats?

Secondly, the third screen shot shows another error I picked up today, and probably the reason why the positive terminal on battery is HOT. (could this fault also be linked to the starting problem, where I need to keep the key held for loong periods until the car eventually fires up or either drains the battery when it doesn't start after so many attempts?). 

Pulled some errors again today:

23_OCT_Screen_1.jpg

23_Oct_Screen_2.jpg

23_Oct_Screen_3.jpg

I cleared these faults 4 times, but they were logged back on everytime I cleared them...

Any help would be appreciated, as I need a car that I can trust to get me to work in the morning!  This car was never like this before, but now it is starting to get to me :(

Injector correctional values don't correlate with possible leak off problem. Injector leak off is measured by disconnecting the leak off lines from injectors. Compress the leak off line after injector connectors. Connect measuring system (hoses, cups or what ever is suitable) into leak off connecting point on injectors. On start/idle accepted leak off is 20 ml @ 2 min. A leaky injector(s) will show itself quite soon.

Ohivuoto.jpg

That code for battery safety terminal is for the exploding part on positive battery terminal. It has nothing to do with the starting issue. Now that you don't have any power supply issues the safety terminal has unlikely exploded. More likely the connection on the small plug is poor. You can simulate the safety terminal with a ~3 ohm resistor for test purposes. CLICK

Edited by Clavurion

Off work today, so going to do this in the next hour or so. 

Just a quick question before I go and remove things, instead of hooking six syringes or empty bottles, can I not just do one injector at a time?  or do I need to have the full set-up?

Clavurion the above post has made it clear now, I was under the impression that INPA would pick this up...

Edited by 530nm

Off work today, so going to do this in the next hour or so.

Just a quick question before I go and remove things, instead of hooking six syringes or empty bottles, can I not just do one injector at a time? or do I need to have the full set-up?

Clavurion the above post has made it clear now, I was under the impression that INPA would pick this up...

Very hard to do it one at a time for two reasons

1. You don't get an accurate figure

2. How do you plan on capping off one injector at a time :)

YNP

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

Update:  Injector was completely shot, now replaced and fixed the starting issue. 

Thanks for the input guys.  Clavurion spot on as always

Appreciate the help and glad I'm a member on a forum where there are genuine & helpful individuals who are keen on helping each other out, great club spirit :)

Edited by 530nm