RichardP

My M6 Gran Coupe Thread

Actually looking at the second picture down it has a whiff of four door Aston about it, that's no bad thing mind, like saying our lass looks like Sophie Ellis Bexter! (I wish).

wow.gif

clap-3.gif

No wonder you had the awesome garage built!

These cars do look absolutely fantastic on the road too, I'm really liking the style direction BMW are going in for most of their offerings!

Needs 21's though ;)   the oem wheels there I think would look a lot better with a decent lip in the design and seem to look better close up rather than further away to me .. 

BIG question is though...

Can the Intravee be fitted ?! and can you control it via the jog controller ;)    if not..

Picard-MakeitSo.jpg

Make it So!

Cheers, Dennis!

Needs 21's though ;)   the oem wheels there I think would look a lot better with a decent lip in the design and seem to look better close up rather than further away to me ..

I quite like the wheels. For me 20' is quite big enough, I'd have had 19's if they would have cleared the callipers. I generally don't like dished wheels, it's the worst characteristic of the E39 M5's wheels IMO, they just catch dirt and stone chips!

BIG question is though...

Can the Intravee be fitted ?! and can you control it via the jog controller ;)    if not..

Picard-MakeitSo.jpg

Make it So!

No, it won't work. Can't be made to either, the newer cars use totally different data bus technology.

Richard, what's the competition pack then?

Basically :

Extra 15 HP, created by extending the Torque at higher RPM.

Springs rates and damping rates are increased by 20% in Sport+ mode.

10mm lower ride height.

Stabilizer rates are increased by 15%.

Steering ratio increased by 10%.

Slightly modified rear silencers (I think they remove some or all of the baffles)

Style 401M wheels

Black Chrome exhaust tips.

Travel Scrabble, Monopoly and Yahtzee in fold-away compartments for rear seat passengers ;)

LOL, very funny!

Copied from the BMW m-Power site

The brakes. BMW M6 Coupé and BMW M6 Convertible.

12. Feb. 12

The latest version of the compound high-performance braking system helps give the new BMW M6 Coupe and Convertible outstanding stopping power. Its stand-out features include even lower weight, excellent feel and fade-free performance even under heavy loads.

post-30340-0-05456500-1382007204_thumb.j

The diameter of the inner-vented and perforated brake disks is 400 millimetres at the front and 396 millimetres at the rear. The six-piston fixed-calliper brakes at the front axle – painted dark blue metallic and complete with the M logo – are radially bolted to the pivot bearing.

The M carbon-ceramic brakes available for the first time for the new BMW M6 Coupe and Convertible (in conjunction with 20-inch M light-alloy wheels) are without parallel worldwide and take the cars’ stopping power to another new level.

post-30340-0-60742700-1382007210_thumb.j

The brake discs measure 410 millimetres in diameter at the front axle and 396 millimetres at the rear. Made from a new type of carbon-fibre compound ceramic, the discs boast even greater resistance to heat and combine this with significantly reduced rotating masses. The M carbon-ceramic brakes are 19.4 kg (42.8 lb) lighter than the standard-fitted items, yet the innovative material also displays exceptional resistance to wear, and the operating life of the discs is many times that of conventional equivalents.

post-30340-0-83729200-1382007219_thumb.j

The optional M carbon-ceramic system also sees six-piston fixed-calliper brakes at the front teaming up with floating-calliper brakes with electromechanical parking brakes at the rear. The callipers can be identified by their special gold-coloured paint finish.

I'm sure you know this, but be incredibly careful if you find yourself removing/refitting the wheels that you don't let the wheel drop down onto the disc and damage it. I know several Porsche owners with PCCBs that have done exactly that...

Not sure what kind of work it might need or what type of modifiaction in this stage of your ownership, for sure you've a reason it's in "projects" thread.

Fantastic car, however the size of B-pillars is huuuge, I think a medium sized person can hide behind them easy inside the cabin.

Yes, the B pillars do look very large, not quite sure why they need to be so wide really, the seat belts are not even attached to them! Maybe it's just an optical illusion because there is no break where the door frame would normally go, I'll have to measure the E39 and compare them! Maybe because there is only one vertical structure and not 3 (main frame and two doors) it needs to be larger to give the same strength.

I put the thread here because I thought it the best place to put any updates and running reports etc. as I plan to keep the car for a while. With my E39 I've often thought it would have been better to have had a single thread instead of various disconnected ones covering specific things.

I think it's been designed like this for safety purposes. Doors without the frames aren't giving that extra body strenght when it matters.

I love the colour reminds me an Inca a little.

Now machine polished and fully detailed.

post-30340-0-13679700-1382177975_thumb.j

Next week it will go in a trailer to PaintShield in Peterborough to have some paint protection film applied, when that's done I can finally start driving it!