RumRunner

what else would I need to press bushes

I would recommend something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11PC-COLOURED-WHEEL-BEARING-RACE-SEAL-DRIVER-SET-INSERT-BEARINGS-PROPERLY-/200937189369?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ec8ca2ff9

Need to keep bearing dead straight when pushing.

Many more available at stupid prices. This was a cheaper one I looked up for you

The above is just used for putting the case section of a bearing race...

Bill,

Depend what you want to do.... If you need to press pushes into arms and such,something with a bit more tonnage is needed..

The above is just used for putting the case section of a bearing race...

Bill,

Depend what you want to do.... If you need to press pushes into arms and such,something with a bit more tonnage is needed..

Its first job would to do the upper control arm bushes

You not got a vice?

Yes I do a rather heavy one LOL

Bill,

As Gary says pressing bushes will require more than 1 tonne I would expect. A 20 ton hydraulic jobbie (at work) handled mine with absoloute ease but Most of us would be very hard pressed (no pun intended) to have something like that at home, obviously.

I did use a vice to do the first one, it took a whole day of sustained pressure, tightening with a length of tube it every hour.

Frankly this is a bad idea. A standard bench-top vice is really not meant to take those kind of forces. You risk smashing/exploding it. I did use such a vice, but it was very old (so probably quite well made in the first place) and worn anyway.

A leg-type vice would probably take the force but you'd have a real job aligning it.

If you don't want to replace the arms and bushes as complete assemblies, theres no realistic alternative to securing use of a press one way or another, unless you're prepared for the utter ballache of using a vice.

Something along the lines of this, is in fact ideal. 6t is quite sufficient for the home workshop

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Ton-Tonne-Heavy-Duty-Hydraulic-Workshop-Garage-Shop-Floor-Standing-Press-New-/251200236254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a7cb36ade

Thanks Dave I am going to consider it. I just want it that I am more self efficient for the car at least tool wise. Thanks for outlining the vice problems. I have a old and well built one as well. Lol

Bill

i dont think there are any jobs on e34s that require a bush press type thing, apart from maybe rtab's. if its control arm bushes your looking at doing then it aint worth the time/effort pressing the bushes out as the ball joints wont be far off going if the bushes have gone.

When I did my TCA bushes I bought new arms and had the bushes pressed out to fit powerflex ones.

Bunged my local garage £20 and he pushed out all 4. Quite a pressure and bang iirc.

When I did my TCA bushes I bought new arms and had the bushes pressed out to fit powerflex ones.

Bunged my local garage £20 and he pushed out all 4. Quite a pressure and bang iirc.

That is a good idea specially as I have a engineer shop I take some work to and that would shorten things down

Bill

How? Surely they're interference fits ??

theyre split, come in 3 pcs 2 bits either side and a tube through the middle,

$%28KGrHqJ,!h!E9oZvvGFrBPmd%29eRfeg~~60_

Edited by Idiot

That makes them more interesting. But can you run poly bushes in the arms but remain on standard bushes the rest

Bill

course you can. get them from ECP as it makes taking them back for warranty easier than with someone off ebay. dont forget, lifetime warranty ;)

That makes them more interesting. But can you run poly bushes in the arms but remain on standard bushes the rest

Bill

I can't see why not, same goes for any one of the pairs of bushes really.

I bought polybushes for the front ARB when I had the whole lot out, as they were only a couple of quid more than the standard ones. Rest are standard thus far, with the rear beam bushes being Meyle heavy duty items.

Just need to replace the rear ARB bushes, Dog bones, and front dampers now then thats the whole lot done.