Sign in to follow this  
kilty1

Car Thefts

I would like to warn all members about a gang of Eastern European or possibly Russian that are stealing 2-3 cars every night. They keep moving around to stop police catching them.

I know of 5 cars stolen in my own street in the last 2 months. 12+ in other surrounding streets.irst 2 were BMW mini and Mondeo both from same house. The keys have all been stolen from the house, some have not locked there doors others have had windows smashed, fishing rods used special tools to open house doors to then get keys.

Through my work I have heard another work member had his wifes and daughters stolen (Kilsyth)and many more stories within the last 2 months Glasgow Airdrie, Kilmarnock of multiple cars taken in Central Scotland alone.

Another car taken about 3 weeks ago just outside Falkirk. His brand new 320 (white) he heard house window getting smashed ran downstairs in his pants and outside heard his car starting, car keys taken. 

He jumped onto bonnet as doors locked, guy in car shouted at him in a european language. gave him the finger and then drove through the neighbours front gardens knocking him off.

The theifs are dropped off by a third car, 1-2 get out car leaves then 1-2 other cars are taken. (aprox 3 min) 3-4 am

What really annoys me is the police are keeping it very quiet. (Embarressed) or getting close to catching them.

Do not leave your keys in the hallway, window sill or within view take them upstairs with you.

If your door has a eurolock leave key in lock fully turned inside house. Stops them using tools from outside door lock. But will not stop them smashing window and turning key.

If its that rife in Falkirk area it must be major and all over the UK.

Thinking of buying a combination key safe, will slow them down giving me time to get downstairs with my metal baseball bat as they are now getting more agressive taking people hard earned assets.

Then leaving you with huge insurance premiums for the next 6 years getting your no-claims back.

That's close enough to be scary. However, following a 'walk-in ' burglary back in July, we've just had a new, state of the art burglar alarm fitted. It's totally wireless, has a key safe and is monitored 24/7. That, coupled with our 3 dogs, should be enough to keep the barstewards at bay, or at least make them think twice and look for a softer target (sorry neighbours!)

Too close for comfort.

Hear about this a lot in England but it's coming north now. Not good

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Happened to us two weeks ago. Doors smashed in at the back & keys to our 1M stolen. They had all the keys to the older cars but left them. Turned the house upside down looking for the F10's keys that I had in my pocket.

We are now super vigilant, all keys hidden, monitored alarm on every time we leave the house - even if its for 5 minutes, CCTV cameras up & recording and automatic gates fitted to the drive.

Sadly nothing will stop someone absolutely determined from getting in or stealing your stuff but I intend to make it as difficult as possible for the bastards.

It's awful, but just leave the keys where it's easy to find, your loved ones are more important than tin boxes on wheels.

taking keys upstairs is a big no no for me. and i dont understand why people would potentially put their lives at risk for a car, no matter how precious or expensive it may be.

if i had a choice of

a ) they break in, snoop around downstairs and take keys and leave OR

b ) break in, cant find keys, so make their way upstairs to look for them and do whatever it takes to get the keys from you

i know which option i would be choosing.

It's simply not worth it. No matter how much of a superman you think you are. You'd have to be mental to jump on the bonnet. Give them the car for goodness sake.

It's awful, but just leave the keys where it's easy to find, your loved ones are more important than tin boxes on wheels.

sorry disagree. It's not about being macho but from what you are saying you might as well leave them visible from the letterbox.

Maybe my view might be different if I lived in a more dangerous part of the country?

sorry disagree. It's not about being macho but from what you are saying you might as well leave them visible from the letterbox.

Maybe my view might be different if I lived in a more dangerous part of the country?

i think he meant easy to find if someone broke into the house, so in the kitchen or living room or near the front door but from out of sight if looking in from outside.

if someone breaks into your house, after all that effort, i dont think they will stop looking for the keys if they cant find them downstairs.

be prepared for a rude awakening.

Edited by Estoril-5

Agreed, prevention/discouragement is the most important thing. Don't leave doors/windows open, don't leave keys in view, don't have swanky looking cars on your driveway, etc etc. You're basically inviting them in.

How do the insurance companies view it as they drove off with keys in hand. I bet a few of them try to make claims very difficult.

Both your house and car insurance will rocket.

Just need one with tracker to get stolen giving police a push in the right direction.

What I'm saying is just let them take the bloody car. Yes I always put my keys away safely out of site and I live in a very safe part of the country down a lane with a good community. We all keep an eye on things that go on. My point was, don't try and be a matcho hero challenging thieves, your life and the value of it to you family is far far more important than a car. If you take your keys up to bed you need your head testing.

Edited by mike77

My keys are hung up in the workshop out of sight from anyone.  The workshop was a spare bedroom.  But in truth everything is on the same level no upstairs.   But in truth I am not concerned about anyone breaking in.  One time the police tried to break in to a property with the same security features as mine and it took them 2 hours to get in.  So in that time I am sure the police would arrive 

If they could get to my keys. They got to move a transit van and a clio to get mine out. So if that doesn't wake me and I've killed them. The tracker will not let them get far.

What I'm saying is just let them take the bloody car. Yes I always put my keys away safely out of site and I live in a very safe part of the country down a lane with a good community. We all keep an eye on things that go on. My point was, don't try and be a matcho hero challenging thieves, your life and the value of it to you family is far far more important than a car. If you take your keys up to bed you need your head testing.

I can see where you are coming from but my keys are all kept in my bedroom.

The swankiest car I have at the moment is my M5 as I have sold my F10.

Maybe my head does need testing but it has been said that I am beyond help.

Thats just me I am afraid.

I dont have any kids but have a little one on the way so I may change my views as I get older but I cant see it.

If I didn't have a wife and children in the house I may agree with keeping the keys upstairs and letting the would be car thief try and get them. However as I do have a wife and children the keys are downstairs out of view of windows but easy to find.

Luckily living in a farm house in a rural community has it's advantages, as it is normally assumed that there are guns on the premises which there are, that seems to be a deterrent. I do keep those locked up closer to me than any keys ;)