mne666

Needs suggestions for decent estate car...

I now work for a company who service catering equipment during the week.

To top up my wages I work for my self on days off / weekends and evenings.

I have a works van which I can't use for my own work and I only really carry a tool box and a few spares boxes so I'm looking for an estate car which will sort of double up as a van. I had an Astra estate a few years a go with blacked out windows which worked well for me but the seats were so uncomfortable i couldn't buy another.

I would buy another van but I don't really want two on the drive and an estate means i don't need a car too.

Looking to spend 3k ish, if anyone is selling anything feel free to say.

Thanks in advance as usual

Big old volvo.

Avoid the old 240's and 740/760's, Lovely as they are, they're getting properly old now and the 700's weren't as significant a car as the 200 or or the 900 series.

Go for a 940/960 or a T5 of some description. £3k will be more than enough twofold to get you a nice late example with all the knobs and whistles thats been looked after.

Theyre really comfy and well equipped wagons, and will swallow absoloutely anything with the seats folded down. Its well below your budget but then again it wont matter so much if it gets bashed about a bit given that its a working vehicle.

I dont know about the T5's but the 940's and especially the 960's can be a bit heavy on the juice, might be worth considering.

Rover 75 tourer is another one I would consider. It'll be newer, plusher, easier on the fuel and even better equipped, and a well-looked after and high-spec example is within your budget. The 75 is one of those cars where there is no shortage of "one elderly owner" sort of cars on the market. Say what you like about Rovers but the 75 was an incredibly good and well-built car. Oh and car mechanics recently rated them very highly for corrosion resistance.

The 1.9 turbodiesels are the same as found in the E46 320d, too.

I second the Volvo shout, comfy and if you get the right engine fairly consistent on fuel around 28 to 30. I had a 850 2.5 SE took everything with the seats down, drove to france and toured, no back ache. great workhorses.

Just having a mooch around the trader at these volvos, those t5's seem to be powerful machines.

I remember a mate having an auto v70 estate, it made a lovely noise and was comfy.

E39's seem to be holding there money well at the moment ray, otherwise it would be a possibility.

Hello

After driving estate company cars for over 20 years as service engineer I would suggest  Passat or Mondeo as second, 2.0d both drive and handle well, plenty of space, easly to load flatbed boots,  parts easily obtained and not overpriced.

The BMW tourer is a pain if you need to lift in or out heavy items due to the lip at rear of boot, the old V40 also had this problem. (unsure on new model)

Drove a volvo 850 for a week needed a petrol tanker to follow me.

The X type 2.0 estate (2.2d is a lot better with higher mpg) is also pretty good. Flatbed boot 40+mpg (I have a lead foot, time is money) oem parts well priced. (bought my wife 3.0 sport xtype 8 years ago, still going but starting to need repairs.

Hope this helps

Fair shout on the VW's, but have a look at skoda octavias while you're there. Same car, less £££.

The old VAG 1.9 TDi engine as found in the B5 passats/mk.4 golfs etc etc is said to be a thoroughly good and bulletproof motor, and the later 2.0 TDi best avoided.

E39 525 or 530d, 40+ mpg, all the toys and loads of space, don't know what lip Kilty1 is talking about, my last two went straight from bed to bumper with only the weather seal in the way, which at 1 inch high was hardly a kerb stone!.

E39 525 or 530d, 40+ mpg, all the toys and loads of space, don't know what lip Kilty1 is talking about, my last two went straight from bed to bumper with only the weather seal in the way, which at 1 inch high was hardly a kerb stone!.

I apologise my mistake my 320 tourer did not have a lip on boot. It was one of the other ones that done my back in along time ago.

Good car had two 316 (2.0d) and 320d roof rails another good option when looking for an estate.

I have a mate selling his Mercedes C200cdi estate. It's a 2005 and looks lovely in blue. Not sure if it would be within your budget.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

You do seem to get a mot for your money with the rovers, there are a few ex police Octavias for sale around here with around 190k on an 07 under budget. And at the other end a few passats with the 1.8t engine under 1k.

I seem to keep stopping and looking at foresters, somebody tell me that's a bad idea, i have never given them a second glance before now.

I had a merc c class a few years a go but the corrosion has put me off those a bit now.

What are Volvo diesels like?

Biased I know, but 530d takes some beating for combination of comfort, economy, load space, spec and street cred. Lots of excellent ones well within your budget. You know it makes sense; this IS a 5 forum when all's said and done.

Edited by syncrofred

Things took an unusual turn today on the hunt for an estate... I was at a local garage looking at a passat and in the corner he had a shiny looking freelander td4 so I asked about it.

It has a full service history, 12 months mot, 4 new tyres and was on a x plate .... But had the three warning lights on the dash which I have some experience of. He wanted £1800 for it, anyway I had a sniff around and then noticed it was missing the prop shaft rendering it front wheel drive.

It was taken as a part ex and the dealer was a nice guy but genuinely tits off when he realised. We agreed it could be a knackered diff or maybe it was removed for economy but it wasn't worth £1800.

So I agreed to give him 1k cash, so it's sort of an estate... But seemed to good to turn down really even if I just run it into the ground until the mot runs out. Drives perfectly too..

The hunt is over before it began, it took an unusual twist but I can put tools in it and with a prop shaft hopefully not get stuck in our yearly snow day