Edpugh

e38 style 5 on e28 m535i - front tyres choices?

Gents

She's got 225/50/16 on rear style 5s and 205/55/16 on front, for that staggered look. Front tyres now need replacing as they are low on tread and both over 10 years old. However I've always thought they look a bit small in the wheel arches compared to the rears which look about right.

What other front tyre choices might there be, and does specific make of tyre matter?

thanks

Ed

In terms of size you couldn't have a better match :

205/55R16 = 631.90mm. Sidewall height = 112.75mm

225/50R16 = 631.40mm. Sidewall height = 112.50mm

Near perfect match. The tyres are balanced. Might be an idea to drop the front end slightly if you want to lose the gap.

Those wheels run very close to the strut leg on the front of an e28, and if you were to fit chunky profile 225/50s on the front you may find the tyres touch.

I reckon you should stick with the sizes you have, they're the sizes Alpina fitted.  :-D

.....What other front tyre choices might there be, and does specific make of tyre matter?

Yes... annoyingly no two types of tyre seem to have the exact same size, shape of profile. It's not a big difference but you'll still notice it. Unless you want to spend alot of time on the internet looking at pictures I'd echo Goldsoul and say stick with the same specs and try lowering the front a touch to reduce the gap.

I'd also add to Jonah's point about Alpina's that those specs are also the recommended sizes for Hartge alloys.

Edited by Tref

I had the same setup: the ET23 offset means 205/55 is the only choice for the front, really. I was sold on the idea that it was the same as the Alpina setup!

Tref: I'm pretty sure 225/50 front and 245/45 rear are the sizes for the Hartges, having looked at the old brochures (rims are wider than Alpinas)

Cheers,

Rob

I had the same setup: the ET23 offset means 205/55 is the only choice for the front, really. I was sold on the idea that it was the same as the Alpina setup!

Tref: I'm pretty sure 225/50 front and 245/45 rear are the sizes for the Hartges, having looked at the old brochures (rims are wider than Alpinas)

Cheers,

Rob

Could well be, I only got those specs from this old poster... so I don't know if it's fact/fiction or maybe only applies to just the H5s?

post-36612-0-14483700-1381075621_thumb.j

Due to lack of funds at the time I put 225/50's on all round and they look rubbish on the 7.5J fronts... but pretty good on the rears...

post-36612-0-88561700-1381075696_thumb.j

Sorting out the proper size rubber on the fronts and replacing the rears with winter rubber rather than all-weather is something I'm going to sort out over the next month or so as these are my winter wheels and it's getting to that time of the year.

Edited by Tref

THanks Tref, just found the brochure: choice of tyre sizes!  I wonder if the 245s will fit under the rear arches of an E28...offset might be high enough, and I've got a decent set of Pirellis to go on...

Weird that that brochure references the M5 but not the M635. 

Cheers,

Robpost-28912-0-40022500-1381091007_thumb.j

I ran 225/60/R15's on my E28 for a while (E34 wheels) and had no problems wit them fouling the struts

As Rob said, e38 style 5s are et23, compared with et20 for your e34 wheels, it seems that 3mm makes all the difference...

Isn't it the case that the E38 16" cross-spoke wheels are 8" wide?  The identical-looking E39 wheels are 7 1/2", so it wouldn't be too hard to make a genuine staggered set (or two, if you see what I mean)!  Can't remember the offset on the E39s, but I know they fit. 

Thanks - very comprehensive replies. I've ordered the same size of tyre again.

Rob - I like your idea of DIY staggered. Genius!