Edpugh

Replacement e28 windscreen

I've cracked the windscreen and it won't get through an MOT now. It's a bronze tint, and I've identified an e12 one on eBay. I'm told e12 and e28 are the same part number, but were e12's fitted with bronze tint?

If not, does anyone know of a likely source of replacement windscreens out there?

Also, should I replace the rubber gasket as well? The existing one seems fine with no visible sign of damage.

Finally, does anyone know of a good mobile fitter in West Midlands/Shropshire area who can fit an old windscreen like this?

Get a price for a new one from a local fitter you may be surprised my last blue top tint was £100 fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Fat fingers.

I think that most E28s had a bronze tint. Iv'e had a couple fitted over the years by Autoglass. Just phone them and they'll sort it out with your insurer. All the replacements I've seen seem to be a slightly lighter shade. 

I would advise removing the old one yourself if you want to reuse the gasket, plus it will give you an oppotunity to kill any rust thats hiding under it.

Edited by JohnH

Yep:-

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/87556-breaking-e28-528-manual-1986/

I would be replacing the rubber whilst you are at it.

The tricky bit is the wee chrome strips, they like to bend just for hell of it. I personally always cut the rubber to get the chrome/screen out