MKLad1975

F10 Ipod question

Am I not right in saying it was only a very recent iTunes update that got gapless playback on the computer to work properly?

I know they removed the option where you could manually check a box to specify a track was part of a gapless album from about iTunes version 7 or so. iTunes is now (supposedly) able to automatically detect gapless playback requirements. I must say, I've never had any issues when listening to gapless albums within iTunes or on an iPod.

For a computer or media player the two tracks are different files altogether and seamlessly going from one to the other isn't as simple a task as it may appear.

Perhaps, but I've never had a problem listening to gapless albums from a usb stick on any device (including any pc or laptop, cheap mobile phones, tv's, cheap mp3 players etc.) other than in my F11. I've also copied the exact same files to another usb stick which my missus uses in her VW Polo with just the bog standard sound system and it works as it should.

Hi

I have just read this thread to try and answer a problem that has just occurred. My ipod touch has 3000 or so songs on it in albums and folders. My 520d usb socket connected to touch worked perfevtly, it gave me an option to import the track data which i did. i thought i would try a usb stick so i copied all my tracks via my imac to a 32gb kingston mini stick. When i tried it, the car saw the kinston and immedialtely showed the first album 10cc and started playing it. tracks of this album showed. But no other albums, no search and all other options were greyed out. It gave me no option to impoirt platlist or to import music data.

What have i done wrong and is there anything i can do. other than use my Touch instead

thanks

Just to add, in answer to E60 individuals question. My Ipod Touch connection via a USB lead to the usb socket and worked perfectly. I did not need a dual lead to the auxilliary too. I aw how expensive these are and cannot understand why you would need both connections?

With my Kingston usb stick though, is the problem I listed above because its too slow a stick? Why are the search options greyed out and why does the import data option not appear at all. Sureley its not because its the same data on both the touch and the usb? Help

Ok. Just to see if my experiences are of use to anybody.

I recently got a new F11 LCI with business nav. You do need the y cable to plug in an iPod, the standard Apple lead doesn't work. It worked with previous cars but BMW have for whatever reason decided they are needed again. The dealership gave me one foc but they are cheap enough on Amazon.

My iPod 5g video 80gb works perfectly, but no album art.

I plugged in a USB stick which I used with my last car, and this also works. Although there are jpegs of album covers on the stick, again no artwork.

I am of the opinion, ok, subjective.... that the USB stick gives slightly better sound quality. If so, this will be that the DAC circuit in the car is better than that in my rather old iPod, as I assume the y cable takes the analogue feed from the Jack socket. Also, in my case, there is 68gb of music on the iPod so the USB is easier to search as it has 20gb of my most listened to music.

Mind you, all that apart, the DAB finds a few oldie stations playing constant 70s music, and being rather sad, they get more hammer than my own music.........

That's strange cos my iPod touch works fine with a iPod lead only. My iPhone Bluetooths at the same time. But currently using a USB stick for music and iPhone at Bluetooth.

Got my connected drive working and downloaded the apps from iTunes. I can now use the iPhone to locate the car on google maps, flash the lights and lock/unlock. ( although why you would need to unlock I'm not sure )

Phone services work and I am yet to send a google route to the nav

Update..

Collected my car yesterday.. Delighted with it I must say.. Plugged in a friends ipod classic using the standard USB lead and it works fine and displays album artwork. Then plugged in a Sony 32GB USB stick and it works perfectly. Album artwork displays perfectly and the tracks and albums are all viewable and can be searched for easily.

FYI - I've got professional nav.

Any ideas how to get the text message functionality working? I've got an IPhone 5 and I'm reading conflicting reports about the use of text & emails..

Musket hi

I believe I have the lower spec system because there are some options not available?

My Kingston 32gb USB works fine in the socket but with no artwork and only main search. My iPod touch 4 works better than USB with iPod lead standard, full artwork, search album, artist or song, playlists as set on the iPod. My iPhone 4S works fine too but most of my music is on the other two. I put the USB mini stick in cos it takes up less space and can be left in place. I got the iPhone BMW app do I can locate the car and flash the lights remotely , I cannot sound the horn and presume that's on the next model. I cannot get the other app that does diagnostics via cable to work at all? Any luck with these?

I have the business system s606a with 613a BMW assist and 615a bmwonline and. 616a and 6nla Bluetooth and USB option

The apps is s6nr and I don't have that

All this info was available by putting my vin number online. I'll ask Rob the Viking where the info is available

but I assume it was BMW site

I'm somewhat confused...

The dealer told me I was getting the business advanced system, and when it came, (LCI model, delivered late September) it was what the website calls business basic or words to that effect. BMW appear to have called the basic system advanced now. I have tried corresponding with them, but keep getting the same worded email, signed by a different, possibly fictitious person. They want over £400 for the features the catalogue infers you get. It is only when you look at the new LCI price list that, confusingly, you see the features you thought you were getting as a different cost code now.

Sharp practice, to be sure. It would be a pity if my first BMW was my last one, but I am not exactly stupid, yet the wording managed to confuse me and therefore con me. I do, incidentally, fully accept the salesman was also confused. He did try to get bmw to see sense and failed also. Hence trading standards may get a file of my experiences. If I knew I was not getting the two things I really wanted, decent traffic system and the ability to send destinations via google maps, (postcodes etc don't always work when looking for specific entrances to large establishments as I seem to need to go to...) I would have considered forking out for the professional system, but to downgrade the business system and not make it clear is awful. It's like saying double oven (small print says you only get one oven now...)

I doubt I will be able to get the artwork then, not that it is an issue but a backward step by a company that tries telling us it only goes forward. Possibly true, for shareholders, at the expense of gullible customers. I used to work for a Bavarian company, I should have checked the paperwork better. I used to tell my customers that many years ago.

If you are talking album artwork, i cannot see why that doesnt work. I think I too have the basic edition and it works fine on mine

My library was created with Itunes initially on a PC but now updated on my imac.

No they dont work via usb stick but the same library does on my Touch

Also i cannot sound the horn remotely on My BMW App, thats disabled

It appears from what you say that i wont be able to google maps to the nav either, bit peeved about that one

My gripe is that whilst I can get the car to flash its lights and locate the car on one iphone app,(My BMW)  the other app (BMW Connected)with all the diagnoses and data transfer does not work. The info says the Apps comes up after services on the car menu, and its not there on mine which is a sign that its not installed.

Mind you this one is a cable connection so maybe not a lot of use anyway. But looking at it on the iphone it did have links to third party apps

I bought mine second hand so i got what it had and am well pleased generally, i would be peeved if like you i had ordered something and not got it.

Some of the gadgets probably i would not use, who wants to unlock their car from a distance! whats that all about!

And as for googling a nav, whats the point when its so easy in car.

mind you i will miss the safety camera warnings that i had on tomtom.

49mpg first fill, running 90% on Eco and keeping to limits, not bad!!

Hey Musket

I can put other choices into nav than postcode, can put town, road etc, can also use active map and move a cursor about. All you cannot do is google from remote iPhone.

Mine is a 2012 model, I wonder of they have plit the options since. Get the full spec from BMW and you will see each item that the car has all listed out

Hi. Thanks for that. It would appear some of the dumbing down is a result of the LCI so only affects cars built since July of this year. Some of the features in the business option are now extra charge, but that is not made clear. For instance, I may a well delete the phone app as BMW say my options (emergency and service) don't need a log in.

The input other than postcode is fine, but to be able to pinpoint a layby you are meeting a colleague at to swap over documents (what a sad life I lead) or the exact entrance when there are half a dozen is something I was looking forward to as Google maps can let you see to that level.

No. My complaint is that some of the features of business have been dropped when they made it a standard feature, but they were very coy over letting you know this. You have to interpret the options list to make it clear, and at the time of my ordering, the sales staff weren't aware either..... I just thought it petty that's Ll.

The car is wonderful. The economy is witchcraft, the comfort is sublime, etc etc. I love it. Which makes their underhand marketing all the worse I suppose.

Hey Musket

I just discovered that the option send to car from Google is in the app "remote connection"

You can view google maps and sat nav your "lay-bys" or any other destination straight to the car!

Hi. I can't unfortunately. BMW say I don't need a log in for the services I have so an app cannot find my car. It does seem to be a feature of the LCI update, although misleading advertising and sharp practice to get more money out of you seems to be the company's modus operandi.

As I said, a great pity as the car is absolutely wonderful. I have only done 1800 miles but already the overall mileage is 47mpg and a run to work or back manages over 50 mpg. Granted, motorway door to door with little traffic or stopping for junctions. It can only improve as the engine loosens up. The acceleration and effortless overtaking is good too. I don't regret not going for the 530 one bit....

My dealer registered me for BMW online and I got an email within 24 hrs with a user name.'I logged in and created a password. From memory I think I had to use the same login for the app

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Also, with google maps, you choose 'more' and it gives you the option to send to car. You then need the same online username to perform the send to. So Musket, I think you need an online account with BMW. Maybe you can set one up yourself but as I said above, my dealer did mine and I got confirmation by email

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Musket

Go to

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/accessories/electronic-parts-catalogue/electronic-parts-catalogue.html

copy

User name: eu111111
Password: bmwetk1

into the page "visit the electronic parts catalogue" and then logonenter your vin number last 7 letters - enter>>

choose options at the top

up comes your cars list of all options fitted

s616a is the bmwonline bit

hope this helps

Gaz

Musket, below is the setup email that I got from BMW following my dealers application on my behalf

"On receipt of your BMW ConnectedDrive application form, we are writing to advise that your account has been set-up and the system will be ready for use within the next 24 hours.

You will be sent a text message containing your login details for your BMW ConnectedDrive account. These details are required for you to login to your account and personalise your services at www.bmwconnecteddrive.co.uk.

For your convenience, a summary of the most popular features is outlined below but you can explore the full range of services available by clicking on the relevant feature within the main menus on the left had side of the website page.

My Remote Services

For security reasons, before you can login and use the My BMW Remote app for Apple and Android devices, activation of the Remote Services is first required in the website.

To complete this, please click ‘Settings => Security settings => Activate Remote Services’. The tick box needs to be ticked under the picture of your car.Next, select and answer one security question within ‘Edit security questions’ and click ‘Save’.

Google Send-to-Car

If you would like to send addresses and points of interest to your BMW from Google maps then you will need to first save this configuration on the website.

To complete this, simply click ‘Settings => Set up services => Google send to car’. Tick the box under the picture of your vehicle and ensure that the ‘Yes’ field is selected at the bottom of the page. Then click ‘Send’.

For further info please visit www.bmw.co.uk/connecteddrive.

Should you have any queries regarding BMW ConnectedDrive, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 561 0555 between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday-Fri"

Hope this helps

I am not sure whether you may be able to create an account yourself without dealer involvement

After all it is tied to the car by vin and reg no and you may be able to enter this yourself

Buyer beware with the business advanced in the LCI updated cars. (It is there in the price list, but a bit hidden in the detail...)

Turns out my car doesn't need a log in as I don't have any of the business advanced features. My email from BMW on the subject confirms I don't have any of the features, and the price list codes for such features don't appear against my car. Grrrr.

Sharp practice.

Thanks for trying to help Gaztrick. It isn't a deal breaker and I certainly wouldn't have paid the £400+ they want for what they say is now free in some of their advertising. I have sent a letter with my build quote, their adverts and my correspondence to trading standards though, as this is not only, in my opinion, misleading selling, but it isn't worthy of a company that thrives on quality.

As I said, I ain't whinging about the car. Not one bit. I love the ruddy thing.

Musket, sorry to hear you cannot get the features without paying. What does lci stand for anyway? I must have just been lucky to get my Beamer with some features thrown in. At least the spec list answers the questions.