Azzy420

LCI step auto h7 HID upgrade problem

Hi im wondering if anyone can help me with this problem I am having - I recently upgraded my headlights to H7 HID kit on my 520d Msport Lci Step Auto - everything was going fine but then I noticed when I switch the HID lights on I get a little jerk in my car. It does not happen all the time, just on the odd occasion.

If I am driving in Manual mode, it either automatically drops my gear down or if i am slowing down/standstill in traffic and I switch the light on I get the jerk and it changes the gear to DS

Or if i am driving in D the little orange light on the gearbox goes out for a split second and lights back up, also this results in my gear to drop down automatically (only notice it as my revs increase).

Its a bit hard to explain so sorry if i have confused you all - its like whenever it happens its like theres an  extra volt that goes through the car to initially power up the H7 bulbs and thats what is causing the issue - but i may be wrong.

I know bulbs have nothing to do with the auto gearbox, but as that auto gearbox also gets some sort of power supply from the battery, thought this may all be interlinked.

Any one experienced this before? Or any advice on what i can do? I really like the HID upgrade I have got and do not want to get rid just coz of this jerk issue I am having.

Also dont know if the problem is interlinked, I have 10w CREE LED AE bulbs in which flicker when the car is initially started and I have also got white LED number plate bulbs with a built in resistor (these have never flickered though when the car is started or AE or H7 bulbs are switched on)

I think i am going to have to take them out. I am 99% certain this never happened when i had halogen bulbs in there. When the car is started up, engine running, what sort of voltage should the battery be running at?

As i have a feeling i may have an under powered battery or could it be signs that an alternator isnt doing its job by controlling a steady voltage current in my car?

HIDs require massive amounts of voltage when they switch on. It is possible that this drain on your system is to much for the battery and what your feeling is the extra pressure being put on the engine. I would begin by testing the battery.

How old is the battery and what is the rated amp on it?

Horsey

When the car is started up, engine running, what sort of voltage should the battery be running at?

The answer will depend on how much load there is due to any accessories which may be on or not. Assuming just the engine is running, I believe it may be some somewhere around....12v as its a 12v battery ! But depends on condition of battery and function of alternator of course.

A basic multimeter will reveal all :).

HIDs require massive amounts of voltage when they switch on. It is possible that this drain on your system is to much for the battery and what your feeling is the extra pressure being put on the engine. I would begin by testing the battery.

How old is the battery and what is the rated amp on it?

Horsey

I will have a look at the battery, but as I am new to this car still need to figure out how to get to the battery - any step by step guide at all please?

I am not sure how old the battery is, I was suspecting this because I am sure when these lights were originally installed I never use to have this problem, but I may be wrong. I have had a look through paperwork to see if their is a receipt saying battery been changed, but I doubt it has and probs is the original battery from 2007 - if it is then its done really well lasting this long! 

The answer will depend on how much load there is due to any accessories which may be on or not. Assuming just the engine is running, I believe it may be some somewhere around....12v as its a 12v battery ! But depends on condition of battery and function of alternator of course.

A basic multimeter will reveal all :).

Mate I do not have access to a multimeter any other way of checking battery voltage or if the alternator is working properly?

Just thinking I might aswell call breakdown fella's out and get them to check the batt voltage and if the amp is working - what you rekon? I pay an annual fee, may aswell use it lol

Cheers horsey

No problem

I will have a look at the battery, but as I am new to this car still need to figure out how to get to the battery - any step by step guide at all please?

I am not sure how old the battery is, I was suspecting this because I am sure when these lights were originally installed I never use to have this problem, but I may be wrong. I have had a look through paperwork to see if their is a receipt saying battery been changed, but I doubt it has and probs is the original battery from 2007 - if it is then its done really well lasting this long!

The battery is in the boot on the right hand side (if you're standing behind the car) beneath the right hand side cover.

I would have a look at the battery and see if it has an indicator on it to tell you it's condition. You can also access the hidden menu and test the voltage on it that way. Or if you have DIS see what information that pulls up.

Horsey

No problem

The battery is in the boot on the right hand side (if you're standing behind the car) beneath the right hand side cover.

I would have a look at the battery and see if it has an indicator on it to tell you it's condition. You can also access the hidden menu and test the voltage on it that way. Or if you have DIS see what information that pulls up.

Horsey

Just orded myself one of those OBD cables and software from BM Tech so if i cant get my hands on a multimetre will use this. Also got the hidden menu guide, looks a bit confusing but will try give that a shot also and see if I can get the voltage bit up using that.

Mate I do not have access to a multimeter any other way of checking battery voltage or if the alternator is working properly?

Just thinking I might aswell call breakdown fella's out and get them to check the batt voltage and if the amp is working - what you rekon? I pay an annual fee, may aswell use it lol

Take it in to Kwik-fit they do free battery check IIRC as it does sound like the battery is just beginning to go off the boil as the Voltage spike caused in HID's will show up any weaknesses in the system.

I recently had the recall done on the batt cover from BMW as it was never done by the previous owner. you rekon this may be causing a problem?

Heres an update on my battery - i went into kwik fit and the lads in there checked it:

Battery test

12.44v

Start capacity 64%

Good battery

Alternator test

Ripple ok

Regul volt 14.24v

Good

Its a 720amp batt

He has asked me to pop back in a few days as the problem i may have been having is because i wasnt giving the alternator enough time to charge the battery as i was doing alot of city driving aswell. Recently been doing motorway miles last 72 hours on a regualr basis and i do not notice and probs when switching the hid lights on

Heres an update on my battery - i went into kwik fit and the lads in there checked it:

Battery test

12.44v

Start capacity 64%

Good battery

Alternator test

Ripple ok

Regul volt 14.24v

Good

Its a 720amp batt

He has asked me to pop back in a few days as the problem i may have been having is because i wasnt giving the alternator enough time to charge the battery as i was doing alot of city driving aswell. Recently been doing motorway miles last 72 hours on a regualr basis and i do not notice and probs when switching the hid lights on

Sounds like its the battery then to me. Especially if it hasn't been doing it since you have been driving the car on longer journeys.

Horsey

Yeah because your angel eye bulb just failed but it might appear soon...not sure though. Maybe its a partially faulty led so the system has not recognised it as a fault (yet).

Edited by 530dE60

I rang the guy i bought it off and he has offered to change it for me or it might be the driver on the angel eye so he said he will sort it for me .... what a nice guy!

heres an update for ya all - went to see him this afternoon, he took apart the driver and replaced it, had no joy. So then he just changed the bulb and now works absolutely fine - I have a 12 months warranty he told me, any time bulbs or HIDs go off, he said just come back I will change them for you :)