Vee

Falken 453's in the wet

I've just fitted a set of boots to my M5 and opted for Falken 453's based on good personal and virtual recommendations.

I was out over the weekend charged with the task of testing my new MAFs in the wet (!) and was looking forward to indulging on roundabouts at low speeds. I have to say I was disappointed with the tyres - they were far too grippy :D

Speeds increased and it still took a clumsy bootful to unsettle it - combined with excellent dry grip leading to progressive slip I'm really impressed.

I'm not going to say that more expensive tyres won't be any better (they undoubtably will be) but for a few hundred nicker less than a set of PS2's/3's these are a very good option. Be interesting to see how long they last.....

I've got 452's on mine and have been very impressed with them in the dry but not so impressed in wet conditions. They've only got 3.5mm left so that may be the reason but I'd like to try the 453's next.

Cheers

Adam

235/35/19 & 265/30/19 FK452 on the touring and happy with them.

245/35/20 FK453 & 285/30/20 FK452 on the 545 and also happy with them.

Having a look at Camskill, you can get a full set of Asymmetric 2's for about £20 more.

With that in mind, you'd be mad to go for the Falkens again.

I've heard good things about the Goodyears too, but based on experience so far they must be to be a tremendous tyre if they are an improvement on the 453's. Have you tried the 453's?

I'm not a Falken fanboy, but I do drive my cars properly and am impressed - hence the post.

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's on my 540 are superb, nay, fantastic!... but the point here is, are they worth the higher price over the Falkens based on a competent drivers ability?

Probably not, just nice to know you have one of the best boots on The market gripping the asphalt !

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

I've heard good things about the Goodyears too, but based on experience so far they must be to be a tremendous tyre if they are an improvement on the 453's. Have you tried the 453's?

I'm not a Falken fanboy, but I do drive my cars properly and am impressed - hence the post.

I haven't tried the Falkens, I'm sure they're perfectly decent but the Goodyear is one of the best (arguably the best) tyres on the market. Pilot Super Sports may well be better for outright dry grip but factor in a wet road and it's a different story. Not to mention the price, comfortably cheaper than the competitors from Michelin and Continental.

Given our climate, I'll be chucking them on when the tyres need replaced.

The reviews would back it up-

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm

Tyre reviews seem to vary quite a bit, even contradictory at times, the fact that it's always in the top 3 speaks for itself.

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's on my 540 are superb, nay, fantastic!... but the point here is, are they worth the higher price over the Falkens based on a competent drivers ability?

Probably not, just nice to know you have one of the best boots on The market gripping the asphalt !

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

When you're talking about an M5 I'd say it was worth it.

When you're talking about an extra £20 for four then it's a no brainer.

Edited by DirtyHarry88

Appreciate all that Dirtyharry, tyre threads can get a bit emotive. But the purpose of my post is to pass on my thoughts on the Falkens, not debate whether other tyres are better. I'm impressed by them (did I say wet grip is astonishing?!), but when I swap tyres I may well try a different brand. It's at that point that someone can offer balanced advice - after trying both ;)

And Vredestein Sessantas are cheaper than Asymmetrics and arguably better.

The point is, don't dismiss a tyre based on brand alone...I have no trouble believing that the FK453 is comparable to more expensive, better-known brands.

And Vredestein Sessantas are cheaper than Asymmetrics and arguably better.

The point is, don't dismiss a tyre based on brand alone...I have no trouble believing that the FK453 is comparable to more expensive, better-known brands.

Probably not, to be honest.

And I'm not saying the Falken is rubbish, but it will not be in the same class as the premium tyres.

I've had Kumho's on my old compact, comparable with the Falkens by all accounts, and they were good but I'm not under any illusions about them being as good as some of the best tyres on the market.

The new tread pattern 453 are a huge improvement over the 452 also the kuhmo ku39 is the new tread pattern and these are selling like hotcakes as the feedback on these has been brilliant, both falken and kuhmo have stepped up there game with the new tread patterns that are out,  

The new tread pattern 453 are a huge improvement over the 452 also the kuhmo ku39 is the new tread pattern and these are selling like hotcakes as the feedback on these has been brilliant, both falken and kuhmo have stepped up there game with the new tread patterns that are out,  

Exactly.  The Federal 595 RSRs are also getting rave reviews.  Some (not all, but some) mid-range manufacturers are really stepping up their game.

Federals are awful tyres, in the same league as nagtangs and should be avoided on our cars.. may be okay for an astra or something but they're cheap crap that get bubbles and are extremely loud (I've tried both nagtangs and federals, as well as Vredestiens, continentals and bridgestones)..  Vredestiens are a really great tyre really grippy and quiet but tend not to last that long, bridgestones are average, continentals where pretty good, not in the same league as the vreddy's but they did last a long time..

I've just ordered a pair of Michelin PS3's for the back because I haven't tried these yet but it was a toss up between these and the Asymmetrics 2.. I would have loved to have fitted the Vreddys again but they just don't last long enough so I'm keeping Vreddy's on the front and Michelin's on the back (hopefully they last longer)..

Federals are awful tyres, in the same league as nagtangs and should be avoided on our cars.. may be okay for an astra or something but they're cheap crap that get bubbles and are extremely loud (I've tried both nagtangs and federals, as well as Vredestiens, continentals and bridgestones).

I've learned there's little value in making general assumptions of tyre performance by brand alone.  Pirelli P-Zeros are okay but P6000s are some of the worst ditchfinders you can buy.   PS3s are inferior to PS2s.  A budget-priced Federal tyre may well perform averagely, but the RSR595 has been acclaimed as one of the best track tyres available and a viable alternative to the reference Toyo R888 or Yoko AD08.   I swear by the Sessanta but have no interest in any other Vredestein products.

I find it pays to be open-minded and do your research on the specific model of tyre, which is why reviews like OP are useful.

I'll shut up now to avoid further perpetuating yet another emotive tyre thread  :-P

I've learned there's little value in making general assumptions of tyre performance by brand alone.  Pirelli P-Zeros are okay but P6000s are some of the worst ditchfinders you can buy.   PS3s are inferior to PS2s.  A budget-priced Federal tyre may well perform averagely, but the RSR595 has been acclaimed as one of the best track tyres available and a viable alternative to the reference Toyo R888 or Yoko AD08.   I swear by the Sessanta but have no interest in any other Vredestein products.

I find it pays to be open-minded and do your research on the specific model of tyre, which is why reviews like OP are useful.

I'll shut up now to avoid further perpetuating yet another emotive tyre thread  :-P

Out of interest what makes you say the PS3's are inferior to the PS2's? I've just purchased some PS3's on the recommendations of another forum..

post-38462-0-03802900-1376777716_thumb.p

It is totally subjective, but the Continental Sport 3s which I believe are pretty well rated. Top tyre in Evo in 2012

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-EVO-Max-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

these are what I am putting on my beast

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Mazi

Out of interest what makes you say the PS3's are inferior to the PS2's? I've just purchased some PS3's on the recommendations of another forum..

attachicon.gifps3vsps2.png

The replacement for the PS2's are the Pilot Sports, not the PS3's.

Every forum I've been on suggests the PS3's are not as good as the PS2's.

The replacement for the PS2's are the Pilot Sports, not the PS3's.

Every forum I've been on suggests the PS3's are not as good as the PS2's.

I think there is a lot of confusion about the PS2/3..  From what I understand the PS2's where great in the dry but getting beaten by most of the competition in the wet, so Michelin designed the PS3's to be much improved in the wet.  If you look at the treat pattern's above you'll see the PS3's have more grooves to help disperse water more efficiently.  They apparently deal with wet weather much much better but as a result of the extra grooves the dry grip was not quite as good due to less surface area being in contact with the ground but apparently not much of a difference.  So I wouldn't say that the PS2's are inferior they are just different, PS2's slightly better in the dry, PS3's much better in the wet..

If I was living in America I would get the PS2's (or now super sports) but in the UK where we have a lot of rain and cold weather I chose the PS3's.