hippie dave

Wedding car hire - advice

My old fella is in need of a change of career.

He's put some serious thought into buying a big old classic saloon (Jaguar mk. X's and Rover P4's are seming ideal) And hiring it out for weddings (driving it himself).

For starters, this would entail building a large shed out the back of the house, and relocating the contents of the garage to it. Then sealing up the garage door properly and installing a dehumidifier, in order to store it.

There is a pair of very nice P4's on Ebay at the minute, one particular wedding car hirer is selling up. I personally think that starting out with two cars is a biting off a bit much. Yes you can hire both out at once, and theres one spare if one breaks. However, this entails twice the running/storage/maintenance costs and also, paying an additional driver.

Does anyone here have any experience, or know anybody who does) on such a venture?

Thoughts appreciated.

Dave

I have recently thought about doing the same thing after acquiring a series 1 Silver shadow. Lots of people have suggested it to me. I met a chap at a classic car gathering in Hartley whitney who runs two Rollers as wedding cars. he said he does it more as a hobby. He's currently charging £350 a pop and doing quite well with it. 

A cost to consider is public liability insurance as this differs from county to county apparently. 

I'd be interest in your findings and I will happily let you know what I come across. 

Cheers 

^ Thanks for that, please do :)

One thing he did notice was that the going rate was around £300 - £350 a pop regardless of the car.

Thus it makes more sense to buy, for example, a Mk.10 jaguar for a lot less money than a Mk.2. To the general public, either is a "classic jag". The mk 10 has the added advantage of being absoloutely bloody enormous.  

My local car club chairman has a white Jag which gets used for weddings - may be worthwhile speaking to him (colmacclassic@yahoo.co.uk) as he sometimes needs a second / third classic Jag. 

I have detail knowledge of Mk 2 Jaguars and a little of Mk 10, they are expensive to buy as you need good examples for the wedding hire business, also a good external/internal colour scheme.

You will not good a good Mk 2 under £15k, more like £20k plus for a sound car that has been properly restored.

Mk 10 are cheaper, engine/mechanics basically the same and they huge inside and out - a good one will do the job of a RR and look just as spectacular, possibly £8k plus but a lot of finding now.

An early white XJ is a very much lower cost start providing car is taken over choice as like all these old cars they can cost a fortune, mostly bodywork issues at their time of existence, £5k plus should get a nice one.

Public liability insurance is really a must and responsible clients may well expect to see it when arranging the booking.

Did quietly look at the opportunity but decided not to bother in the end - I would have thought a nice E38 7 series would do as well, re the two V12 that have recently been on the forum for very low money. A few quid, tidy up and preperation and that could be a very good alternative.

just my view.

I guess the issue is a wedding is a very emotive day and people can be very exacting in their wants. for some any nice classic will do for others it must be a specific thing so I'd stay popular. Secondly it must be reliable a breakdown and your stuffed and also clean those doors and shuts a million times. Oily marks on brides dresses will go down badly!

Speaking of alternate cars. 

About a month ago one of my ex students asked me to take him to his prom in my E23. I had this wedding car idea buzzing around my head at the time and asked him why he hadn't wanted to go in my Rolls-Royce. He said that he wanted to go in something different. He told me that the name of the game especially with Proms at the moment is to be original. He was pleased as punch when I picked him up that he'd got loads of attention arriving in my E23. I think the ridiculously loud 50 cent (who ever he is?) helped. 

Both him and his Girlfriend (importantly she also seemed extremely pleased with the E23) agreed The Rolls-Royce would also be cool but that the 7 being more stand out appealed to them more. He also told me that stretched limos in his opinion where very uncool. The serious lack of them at the prom seemed to back this up. 

A friend of mine got engaged last month and I went round for diner with them Saturday night. She has also asked me if she can use the 7 as her wedding car. She also prefers it over the Rolls-Royce.

I think this probably points to the fact there are different markets out there. Also Students at the prom 16/17 and friends shortly to be married who are both under 30 are looking for something original as apposed to something traditional. 

Perhaps if you where considering buying two cars one of each would be a good idea. 

The E23 pre prom on the day 

photo_zpsca9d41de.jpg

On the public liability requirement - we had an insurance agent that let us into a little loophole.

Signed us up for a £300 per annum office policy, the official wording covered us for the usual millions.

Not sure what would have happened in the event of a claim mind you.....

Only suggesting it may be worthwhile looking into?

May be perfectly legal & above board - I didn't have the policy running long enough to matter.

Did my agent know his stuff rather than rip someone off needlessly - no idea.

Mate of mine does this and has a big ass Caddy, baby blue and really popular for weddings and proms etc

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Only suggesting it may be worthwhile looking into?

May be perfectly legal & above board - I didn't have the policy running long enough to matter.

Did my agent know his stuff rather than rip someone off needlessly - no idea.

sorry I wasn't being flippant only if you can't claim on it what's the point you may as well have none being my thoughts.

i got quoted £450 per full day for 2 days for E28

so instead of hiring one I bought one myself

have used it for two other weddings and had loads interest

so defiantely a good venture

Im now thinking of selling my white E28 and buying someting different

Someone I used to work with did it and does well out of his classic cars, but I would class a huge investment in the cars as a risk of career change if you dont get much work

For me the normal wedding cars are a bit boring and there are loads of companies/individuals doing it, so hard to get a name for yourself