Matt

M5 (E39) Brakes

Mine have decided to start shaking.  I knew I was going to have to replace them at some point, but looks like its now.

The standard brakes aren't all that cop and bloody expensive for what they do provide (something to do with being 2 parts/split????).

I want an alternative thats better performance but not going to destroy my wallet.

What are my options?  Front and rear.

Bmw performance brakes great upgrade for the money I think there about 1k all in everything from bmw except the brackets which are sourced elsewere

a5emama2.jpg

Edited by gar525i

Mine have decided to start shaking.  I knew I was going to have to replace them at some point, but looks like its now.

The standard brakes aren't all that cop and bloody expensive for what they do provide (something to do with being 2 parts/split????).

I want an alternative thats better performance but not going to destroy my wallet.

What are my options?  Front and rear.

Standard M5 discs, you'll have the floating rota two piece design. These are lighter and disburse heat more efficiently than solid discs. Solid discs are cheaper, so often get fitted by people cutting corners and don't have the same heat dissipation features which could lead to warping.

I've got a quote in the last month from BMW £477 for the correct floating discs and something like £225 for the pads. So those BMW performance ones don't seem to badly priced!

As above, but most likely is your shuddering is actually down to worn thrust arm bushes, not the discs.

easiest solution there is to powerflex the arms. Personally i'd be going down that route first as opposed to new discs which are expensive.

You can source the OE 2 piece discs from ECP which work out a bit cheaper using their discount codes, still a lot more than new bushings for the arms though.

If you look at my threads there's a DIY on powerflexing your arms

Yeah £300/pair at ECP and they're original parts just missing the BMW roundel/part number.

who makes them?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Called ECP and they've done me a really good deal on Pagid disks and pads for around £340 all in.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I'm now intrigued by the brakes listed at the top (performance brakes), are they really only £1k all in (except pads) for all 4?

They need brackets friend of mine just purchased them for his e36 m3 track car he got the brackets from the uk he bought the calipers from bmw and csl discs for 340 there made by ate he got them from otto

Theres also a few guys running them on bmwdriver.net on there m5's and m3's

Ring your local dealer and price them up there excellent value for a bbk they went up slightly in price last year but are still excellent value

Edit (my mistake he got porcshe brakes for his e36 the performance brakes were for a customers e46 m3)

Edited by gar525i

I'm now intrigued by the brakes listed at the top (performance brakes), are they really only £1k all in (except pads) for all 4?

Well guessing you've found out. You only get the fronts, which isn't bad considering from BMW you could be spending £750 on originals.

No idea how much the extra brackets are needed to mount them.

Answered my own question discount code will reduce the price down to £314 HOT30

I called my local branch.  They applied a discount as a forum member which took the price of each disk down to £156.

I got mines for £127 each from the glasgow branch.

I think I need to remind my local one about my trade account, that's pretty manageable really

Highly recommend you fit stainless brake lines if you're changing disks, had mine fitted today and the difference is unbelievable! Pedal feels nice and firm and really inspires confidence in the standard brakes! Well worth the £70!

Highly recommend you fit stainless brake lines if you're changing disks, had mine fitted today and the difference is unbelievable! Pedal feels nice and firm and really inspires confidence in the standard brakes! Well worth the £70!

Where did you buy them from?