I know the prescribed method for rejuvenating dull plastic headlights is to use 50 different grades of sandpaper, wet and dry paper, cutting compound with a mains-powered machine polisher and 20 different kinds of resin polish, but...

...  I couldn't be arsed with all that. :lol:

As a shortcut, I purchased myself a bottle of Meguiars PlastX clear plastic polish, which promises to bring dull old headlights back to life.  I got it from Amazon (link below), no issues.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000AY3SR

71hIyEv3zfL._SL400_.jpg

This really is the lazy man's headlight restoration - all I did was apply the PlastX using my cheapy 12v Halfords electric polisher, buffed it up by hand with a microfibre cloth, and gave the lights a smear of Collinite 476S wax, in the hope of a longer-lasting shine.

I thought I'd do the obligatory "before and after" pictures, to show how it went.

Nearside headlight before polishing

IMG-20130803-00126_zps9e9f1de5.jpg

Offside light before polishing

IMG-20130803-00127_zps56bad1a0.jpg

Nearside headlight after polishing

IMG-20130803-00128_zps0b782f19.jpg

Offside light after polishing

IMG-20130803-00129_zpsae4895df.jpg

As you can see, the end result isn't 100% perfection, but I'd say it's about 80%.  I think I'd have to go down the sandpaper/cutting compound/mains polisher/faff route for the final 20%.

But, given the condition of the rest of the car's front end (yes, that is 156,000 miles worth of stone chips you can see in the pictures), 80% is good enough for me. ;)

So, in summary, it's possible to get decent(ish) results with a bottle of PlastX and 30 minutes of time.

Edited by Morgan528i

Trick of the Trade is Brasso...the wadding type you get in that little old fashion tin...works amazingly well !

Good results with the Meguiars though, well done.

Trick of the Trade is Brasso...the wadding type you get in that little old fashion tin...works amazingly well !

Good results with the Meguiars though, well done.

Funnily enough, I tried Brasso polish wadding on my previous set of (MoT-fail) headlights, but it didn't have much of an effect. :(  I knew I had to bite the bullet and replace them, so when a forum member came up with a set of pre-facelift clear corner xenons from an M5, I chewed his arm off. :lol:

Poor results with Brasso is why I bought the PlastX, otherwise I would have stuck with the Brasso. :)

Raymond reckons toothpaste is the thing. He didn't say which brand. Probably the ones that claim to whiten your teeth. ( or wear the enamel off them ) Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment.

Raymond reckons toothpaste is the thing. He didn't say which brand. Probably the ones that claim to whiten your teeth. ( or wear the enamel off them ) Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment.

I can imagine toothpaste with an abrasive element (or "bits" in) would be quite effective.

As to which brand is the best for that, Raymond would be your man. :lol:

I've got the 3M restoration kit to use. Any recommended sealant to use afterwards?

I just used my usual bodywork wax on the lights, once the work had been done.

For reference, that's Collinite 476S.  That was 2 weeks ago, and the lenses still look good. :)

One done, I'll do the other tomorrow, took longer than I thought and sore knees all round-

IMG_20130820_175132_zps1a713f4f.jpg

IMG_20130820_175141_zps74ab5950.jpg

IMG_20130820_155019_zpscb3113ec.jpg

IMG_20130820_170147_zps60c8385d.jpg

IMG_20130820_173749_zpsda4c3a36.jpg

IMG_20130820_173740_zps3b6f309a.jpg

Not absolutely 100% (only because of a couple of chips and a couple of small spots that I could have sanded more, only noticeable if you look really closely though) but infinitely better. The way they were really ruins the whole appearance of the car.

Edited by DirtyHarry88

Great video. Liked the advice about alternate left right, up down motion. Makes perfect sense when explained, but never occurred to me. I would have been going at it in circles.

Good results by OP too. My attempts have been poor so far with a cutting kit - T-cut I think.

Think I may have the guts to go for it with the 'professional approach' at some point. Need to get the right equipment sorted - those pads with the Velcro look handy.

A mate has a machine polisher - never used one myself.

Questions:

- How easy is it to overdo it with a machine polisher and damage/burn the plastic?. This makes me nervous. More than the taking of sandpaper to the lens in the first place.

Can't you just replace the lenses on the OEM Hella Headlights like the E46 people do?

Has anyone done this as in the vid yet and know a good source for the wet and dry?

I'm going to give it a go and want to buy some applicators and pads. All I can find on eBay seem to be tiny 35mm or thereabouts. Looking for 320, 500, 1000, 3000 - struggling to find all in one place.