jag530isport

Steam Cleaning Engine Bay

Hi guys,

My engine bay needs a good detail. I need to get it steam cleaned and dressed up. Can anyone recommend someone in the Birmingham area and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks

Jag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jag530isport

You can do it yourself, all you need is cling film, gunk, rubber care, a paintbrush and a hose.

Otherwise any decent car cleaning company should do it for about 50 quid

You could always invest in an 'X5 steam mop' and get the gunk on the case as per Romes' suggestion above then you have an additional useful toy for cleaning duties, just have a look on ebay...

£50 seem reasonable for having it cleaned, if you do give it over make sure that your wings are protected to avoid unnecessary scratching!

Good luck with it

:D

You can do it yourself, all you need is cling film, gunk, rubber care, a paintbrush and a hose.

Otherwise any decent car cleaning company should do it for about 50 quid

You could always invest in an 'X5 steam mop' and get the gunk on the case as per Romes' suggestion above then you have an additional useful toy for cleaning duties, just have a look on ebay...

£50 seem reasonable for having it cleaned, if you do give it over make sure that your wings are protected to avoid unnecessary scratching!

Good luck with it

:D

Cheers guys but to be honest with you I wouldn't trust myself to do it, tried it on an old Astra a few years ago didn't go to plan looked a lot worse from when I started, hence I would like to get it done from somewhere reputable.  Can you guys recommend anyone?

Never used anyone to do it to be honest let alone in Birminham as I'm in London.

All will be at your risk and diesels are easier to clean than petrols, however saying that if you are sure you want someone else to experiment on your pride and joy, try this one..... http://www.2wax.co.uk/engine_steam_cleaning.htm

No responcibility taken though if this goes wrong, goldenrule is water + eelectricity + fuel = expencive issues!

Seriously do it yourself and slowly, make sure all exposed parts are cling filmed to the MAX and do it twiceif you have to rather than once and drench something.

Also, if you go to a "professional" and they say to leave the engine running, drive away FAST.

Jag530isport

Might sound a bit scary, but its easy to do. Even better if you have a pressure washer. If cleaning a petrol, just run the engine, when rinsing off cleaning products, so that it will start, if a diesel it should start without problem. After cleaning, just dry off excess water and use a desired dressing product. Hope it helps, would offer but live in west yorkshire.

I'm thinking about doing it myself so just to confirm I need to keep the engine running when rising off and what items would I need to cover up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jag530isport

Unless your batterys under bonnet shouldn't need to cover anything as your engine has covers on. If it hasn't, just be careful around any major electrical items, engine wiring etc. If it helps, cleaned an italian motorbike engine, aprilia, which hates water, kept running fine when sprayed with water. If in doubt, don't spray to closely with washers. Can pm with phone number and can phone if it helps

I just don't understand the desire,certainly not the need to get the under bonnet wet. Don't see the need to clean it. Remove the dead leaves and crap but that's it for me.