AlanT

Is this a fault with the LCM? FIXED

My front drivers side sidelight and indicator has just stopped working.

Its not the bulbs as I've swapped sides to check, all other lights work as normal and I've checked the fuses.

Does it sound like the Light Control Module has packed in?

If it is the LCM, I understand that to replace it I need to code it to the car to correct the mileage, but do I have to code it to the car for it to fix the lights?

Thanks,

Alan.

Edited by AlanT

Answering questions in reverse:-

You can put a replacement LCM in without recoidng, but you will get the "tamper" warning light on the dash until it it recoded.

As to whether it is the LCM itself, I would expect to see other strange symptoms, not just lights out in one particular cluster.

I had a weird one a few weeks ago where the OBC reported a buggered parking light (which I assumed, but as I found out later was wrong about,was the indicator bulb that stays on of you leave the stalk up/down when parking). I changed the bulb twice, and it errored again very quickly (like within 20 mins).

Anyway, turns out that the headlamp inner holder had popped loose on one side and must have been causing an error condition. Pushed it home, all fine ever since - and I have two spare indicator bulbs as well :)

HTH,

S

Hey,

I had the same issue which was an LCM. However, to get it done properly will set you back over £500 at an independent (no-one wants a tamper light).

I would recommend checking with a multimeter, perhaps also check the ignition switch and consider replacing it (£60).

These electrical gremlins are a royal pain in the ar*e.

You do not need a new lcm if it is that, 2nd hand ones can be coded with bmw scanner to remove the tamper dot, you just need to code the vin and mileage around £50 for a second hand one and £25 for bmw scanner.

My front drivers side sidelight and indicator has just stopped working.

Its not the bulbs as I've swapped sides to check, all other lights work as normal and I've checked the fuses.

Does it sound like the Light Control Module has packed in?

If it is the LCM, I understand that to replace it I need to code it to the car to correct the mileage, but do I have to code it to the car for it to fix the lights?

Thanks,

Alan.

Hi Alan

PM sent

Paul

had the same problem, turned out to be Loose earth ??

Ok, thanks for all the above.

I didn't think it was linked at all. But my keys battery won't charge just now(remote locking has stopped working) so wondering if it could in fact be a fault with the ignition switch?

Just seems a very random fault to have?

Thanks again.

Alan

Check the wiring. Make sure there's 12v there with a meter.

If there isn't, you could then check to see if the lcm has 12v at it's connector.

If it has then it's wiring.

If lcm doesn't have an output then it might be worth re-soldering a few things inside (I think they suffer from dry joints and relays that die) or you could send it off to be repaired. There's certainly a guy in America who repairs them, very likely someone over here does too.

Guys thanks very much for your help.

Turns out Hawksbe was right, a loose earth point on the inner wing was the route of the problem

many thanks

Alan