DazH

E28 M50 - Sump Ground Clearance

Hey guys,

So the M50 sits in the bay nicely. The G240 tran I used sits on the original mounts nicely. But..

3wo3.jpg

As you can see, the sump is hanging down too low. I'll have that demolished by a British speed bump within a few minutes  :roll:

wclc.jpg

I used the mounting arms and rubbers from the M20. All seems okay elsewhere. Just the sump being too close to the floor for my liking. Aswell as, she's being lowered so... can't have this.

Anyone any ideas? I've heard of using metal plates to push the engine up. This sounds like a good idea to me as I have enough clearance on top to push her up a bit more and I can do the same to the tran-mounts. no way of the Intake fitting with the standard brake servo so, have an 944 one inbound but maybe if I push the N/S up a bit, it might help some more?!  :-)

I'm pretty okay with the mounting arms I have. I'm pleased they fit nicely. The rubbers are from the old car and are 26 years old so I will defo be changing them anyway. Any better ones I can buy? Like... would anyone suggest an alternative? otherwise i'm just going to buy the E28 M20 ones again. 

What would YOU do in my position? 

all help greatly appreciated!

Daz

you may have probs with oil pickup at that angle. i've made my own arms to make the engine sit at the factory angle. the alternative is to have the sump modified by someone who can weld alloy. there's a pic of an e21 with a modified sump on my thread.

I think the e30 guys, swop to e34 m50 sumps for this reason when doing the swop? if your m50 is from an e36 

Engine and sump was removed from an E34 matey

I think the e30 guys, swop to e34 m50 sumps for this reason when doing the swop? if your m50 is from an e36 

the e36 uses a rear bowl sump, whereas to the e34 uses a front bowl sump.

the reason the sump is sitting at an angle is because i assume m20 mount arms have been used; the m20 sits at a more upright angle than the m5x.

you got a pic from the top of the engine bay please? i'm interested to see where the engine sits in the forward/aft direction with the m20 mount arms.

ok3c.jpg

The bottom of the sump needs to be level and then you may need to mod the gearlinkage and box mount .

Ed

Cheers Ed

Yeah I'm going to prop up the arm on the N/S and mess around with the tran-mounts me thinks...