mickeyboy

Sudden Radio loss?

Jumped in the car for work this morning to be greeted with no radio from my Pro Sat Nav unit. CD Changer still works OK but I cannot select FM, AM or SW, no stations being displayed at all and of course no output from the radio. Sat Nav still works ok too.  Was all working fine Saturday afternoon, didn't drive the car Sunday, then Monday morning the problem was there.

I've had a good search around most of the forums + Google but can't find a single thread that replicates this problem.

Any help or troubleshooting ideas from those more knowledgeable on the audio side would be much appreciated.

Hows far is the distance between the the key/fob and the door when you try to unlock the car?, im thinking the diversity amplifier has gone bad.

That thought did cross my mind since the fob range has never been great, no more than 4 feet from the car usually. Quick question, I don't see any radio stations displayed at all, is that a usual sympton of the diversity amp failing? I would have thought they would be stored in memory somewhere and display on the screen irrespective of whether the amp is bad or not.

Not had an opportunity to try anything as yet.

Update:

Jumped in the car yesterday morning and radio was working fine again, displayed all stations etc.

This morning it's gone again! I hate these intermittent faults.

Gonna disconnect the battery for 30 minutes tonight.

I have the exact same issue. Ipod conncetion/phone works fine. Had a mechanic friend check cabling and reset today. When he says reset, i assume he disconnected the battery!?

Literally started happening yesterday - also keyfob has never been that good, have to be withing 2-3 feet of the car to lock/unlock.

What is the diversity amplifier? how much is this to replace?

All staions do disappear when diversity amp not working at least mine did. My problem was broken coax in hinge ( E61 problem ) which will not be your problem.  Diiversiity amp is in headlining above back window and is about £200 to replace.   Bob

Edited by Bob P

Mine still comes and goes randomly, latest period of working was 5 days then it stopped when I got in the car after work today.

I am beginning to see some association of it failing when the car gets hot (i.e. left in the hot sun for several hours). So maybe something like a bad contact is expanding with the heat or something like that.

Good to know that stations disappearing is a symptom of a diversity amp problem. Will have to look there and report back.

The amp can easily be removed as long as you're careful. There are 4 or 5 contacts between the amp and the glass, carefully clean the contacts on the glass and the amp with fine grit sandpaper and give the contacts a gentle bend out away from the PCB to ensure they make contact with the pads on the glass and refit. I followed this useful guide.

Its worth a try and should only take half an hour or so. 

The key and the radio work from this amplifier but the two are not connected as my radio works great but my key range is pish to say the least.

Hope this helps

My diversity amplifier was reset, and so far so good, battery was also disconnected for a short time, so this may have done it also. My 06 plate 535d is now in for the well known gear box leak issue!

No idea - had an engineer friend do it. I'll ask him and post on here. He also checked the wiring for any snags/pinches/loose connections think he done this by removing the door casing and following the wirting through to where the D-amp is.