Bit of a noob here! Can anyone explain to me what LCI/preLCI means? How can i check if my car has either?

Thanks for any help

Thanks for the reply, here is my headlight..

What are my options? Currently have yellow (hallogen?) angels, would love to get them white with white main beams! Unsure why it it sideways, but you get the idea!

Many thanks

post-51858-0-43440400-1400267607_thumb.j

Hey guys, I've gone ahead and completely cut open my pre-LCI halogen headlights and replaced the rings with aftermarket LED ones... and they look great!  I'll post some pics (and a DIY of sorts) later, but for now, I've got one last wiring job to do:  can anyone suggest a power feed in the engine bay that I can tap a wire into, to power my angel eyes whenever the key is in the Accessory position, rather than having to turn the lights to the On position?

I thought about looking for the radio's power source, but that most likely means running a wire through the firewall, which I'm not so keen on.  I had also thought I could tap into the feed for the orange eyebrows, but they're only on whenever the lights are on, and not simply when the key is turned. What else in the engine bay is getting current whenever the key is in the Accessory position?...

angeleyes.jpg

Edited by kiwi_chris

Hi mate looking forward to your write up. Was it difficult to cut them open and more importantly reseal?

Working on the write-up.  Lots of photos to wade through.  Cutting it wasn't complicated.  I used a feintool (oscillating tool) (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Kw/oscillating-tools-04-0813-lgn.jpg).  Started with a dremel, but it was melting the plastic.  

Sealing was a piece of cake to be honest.  A carefully placed bead of silicone sealant all around, pressed the lens on hard, then taped it up firm, and hey presto, it was holding tight enough to fit, some 6 hours later.  It was a weekend job, and fairly straightforward for the practically-minded.

I'm still keen to hear from somebody who can suggest what wire I can tap into with the remote Accessory wire coming off the LED harness though...  my little little hurdle!

Kiwi_chris I got to say that's very clever of you!

Is this the same tool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynD2SfyINU

This looks like a spot on way to split the headlights!

Any specific kind of silicone sealant used?

Have you washed the car or had the car out in the rain since resealing?

Any condensation occuring?

Also what aftermarket LEDs did you go for?

No-one seems to know where an Accessory wire is located in the trunk of the e60, i've asked that question before!

Really looking forward to your write-up :)

Working on the write-up.  Lots of photos to wade through.  Cutting it wasn't complicated.  I used a feintool (oscillating tool) (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Kw/oscillating-tools-04-0813-lgn.jpg).  Started with a dremel, but it was melting the plastic.  

Sealing was a piece of cake to be honest.  A carefully placed bead of silicone sealant all around, pressed the lens on hard, then taped it up firm, and hey presto, it was holding tight enough to fit, some 6 hours later.  It was a weekend job, and fairly straightforward for the practically-minded.

I'm still keen to hear from somebody who can suggest what wire I can tap into with the remote Accessory wire coming off the LED harness though...  my little little hurdle!

Edited by CTRob

Anything you can share with the waiting masses?

I don't know what to day - there's no point posting a picture as they just give you a false impression (just like all those ebay pics). Even if I fix the distance, aperture, iso and exposure, you'll need to use the same settings and take a picture of an F10 to see what the difference is like.

When there's an absolute clear sky and the sun is shining directly on the front of the headlight, it reflects quite strongly limiting the ability to see the rings (look at the top left of my DP to see what I mean), however in all other conditions they are noticeable. In shadow, they're fine, when it's cloudy, they're fine, when it's dusk they're fine and when it's dark they burn into your retinas lol.

This was taken in maximum sunlight at noon, with the sun facing the headlight head on. The darker part on the left ring is a shadow I positioned intentionally so you can see the difference.

Edited by Baus

I don't know what to day - there's no point posting a picture as they just give you a false impression (just like all those ebay pics). Even if I fix the distance, aperture, iso and exposure, you'll need to use the same settings and take a picture of an F10 to see what the difference is like.

When there's an absolute clear sky and the sun is shining directly on the front of the headlight, it reflects quite strongly limiting the ability to see the rings (look at the top left of my DP to see what I mean), however in all other conditions they are noticeable. In shadow, they're fine, when it's cloudy, they're fine, when it's dusk they're fine and when it's dark they burn into your retinas lol.

This was taken in maximum sunlight at noon, with the sun facing the headlight head on. The darker part on the left ring is a shadow I positioned intentionally so you can see the difference.

Got to say,  They represent the strongest showing yet!

I've got everything I need to split my xenon lamps but just need to source the led rings, ultamzia (sp?) Do a nice set but works out couple hundred not what I want to pay ideally £80/100 anything more is silly imo

Hey guys.  Finally pulled my finger out and wrote up a little document about how I cut open and replaced the angel eyes....  

http://deviant.cyberdeath.org/E60%20(pre-LCI%20halogen)%20LED%20Angel%20Eye%20Upgrade.pdf

Let me know your thoughts.

Chris.

All credit to you

Looks like the DIY  took longer to do than the install well done you!

I've got everything I need to split my xenon lamps but just need to source the led rings, ultamzia (sp?) Do a nice set but works out couple hundred not what I want to pay ideally £80/100 anything more is silly imo

Speak to Baus, he maybe able to help

I saw an E90 in the rear view mirror the yesterday - could see the rings on that from far off, but I could tell something was "off" about the look. As it got nearer and nearer it looked worse and worse, until I could see the individual LEDs on his replacement SMD rings. I haven't seen a single set up with replacement rings that looks good, so although I have a pre-lci xenon headlight, I'm aiming for plug & play to maintain the light dispersion of the OEM rings.

Any news? Been away for awhile...

Horsey

Got the brightness sorted!

Edited by baus

Without reading 31 pages on a mobile I have a lci with halogens and just fitted leds but they flicker massively with the engine running. Can someone link me to some tried and tested led for these headlights

I have these...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151339054715?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Or these which are the same....

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121359822293?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

They certainly don't strobe BUT as I have recently discovered - I have FM Radio interference with them :(.

Could try these...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281348786622?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

With the extra leds they could be brighter though couldn't say about radio interference and / or strobing. Maybe drop the seller a msg to enquire... could return probably if they don't live up to the job.

First ones were the cheapest but didn't go for them because of the radio interference not being mentioned

The third are same seller I used they've said they'll send me another model to try, I'm hoping it's them as they look better