Are you making cuts into the plastic tube or just reflective material behind it?.

I think the only way I will get what I am after is to open the headlamps and install proper angel eye rings, either CCFL or LED ones. The major drawback is the hassle and damage risk involved in opening them.

Opening the head lights is not an option with out a lot of damage I bought a cheap pair of lci halogen that were water damaged and one I heated in an oven the plastic melted before the glue let go and the other I found a vid on utube showing somebody in Europe opening one with a heat gun and chisel he made it look easy once again not possible with out severe damage and ccfl looks good but it just a Fluro tube not reliable in the long term . Stick with led

I have seen that heat gun and chisel video. I don't fancy doing that with nearly £700 worth of adaptive xenons.  :shock:

I had CCFLs on my E46 for over 3 three years with no issues. A mate of mine got them for his E46 around the same time 7 years ago and as far as I know he still has them. I wouldn't hesitate using them again other than the fact that LED rings have come on by leaps and bounds since then and are much brighter. They are also nearly 4 times the price of CCFLs.

Hello kiwi_chris!

Have you upgraded your headlights? You mentioned you have pre lci halogens, for which my solution won't work, but member "funkinhell" (i think that's how it's spelled) has found the brightest solution for those.

Hi mate... the only headlight upgrade I did (other than wet-sanding and polishing the lenses!) was to install the 501 error-free LED wedges.  But they're a bit rubbish to be honest.  I had a bit of a hunt around for what solution Funknhell ended up using (I'm assuming he's got pre-LCI halogens like myself?) but couldn't really find it.  Did he end up using these?... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-501-W5W-T10-LED-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB-BMW-VW-AUDI-S3-X5-E60-/290726190967?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b0a19f77

I'm tempted to have a go with the brown cones.  But ultimately I think the entire halo ring needs swapping out for a true F10 super bright halo effect no?

Or what about these bad boys?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220848926764?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Although, I emailed the seller, and he said they were only 30 lumens (?!).  Compare that to my previous link where they advertise themselves as 300!...

I have these (well actually more powerful than these) and they are invisible in all but near darkness sadly

I have these (well actually more powerful than these) and they are invisible in all but near darkness sadly

Damn.  I wonder if the other ones (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-501-W5W-T10-LED-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB-BMW-VW-AUDI-S3-X5-E60-/290726190967?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b0a19f77) would be any better then?...

I'm currently reading up on cutting open the headlights.  A dremel would probably be the best way to create a clean cut I reckon.  Then simply use a 2-part epoxy to re-glue.  Although I don't know how this Kraut opened his using the heatgun/chisel method without cracking them!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itQRr8ks9I

Does anybody know the ring dimensions for the E60?  For instance, would it be possible to remove the existing E60 rings and fit something like these?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2x-White-100mm-Angel-Eyes-105-leds-SMD-Car-BMW-Style-Halo-Ring-Light-G072-/161162149664?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2586033f20 (which, incidentally, seem pretty good, with SMD 117 LEDs per ring) or these:  http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Retrofit-Headlight-Angel-Eyes-COB-LED-Halo-Rings-p/sku-121.htm.  I'm just loathe to drop 250-quid on some Orion V4s.

Edited by kiwi_chris

I wouldn't spend £250 on V4s, but if I am going through the trouble of opening the headlamps I will certainly be fitting something with proven high quality. I don't get the impression those Ebay offerings would fit the bill.

The V2s have dropped in price since the release of V4. To be honest the V2 looked great (before being shown up by the newcomer) so I would still consider them.

About £100 with current exchange rate, but then there would be postage and import tax on top of that. The generic jobbers further down the page would only be £40.

http://www.umnitza.com/bmw-angel-eyes-5series-c-114_113_1207.html?zenid=0mo6j93idcugro53q9g0nhii50

Angel or Halo lights are being fitted to all sorts of cars now (saw a Mustang yesterday with them), so I would look beyond BMW centric sources. Try US ebay and see what brand names pop up for LED rings then do searches for any forum rumblngs about them.

Yeah trying to search for alternatives at the moment.  But I'm not sure of the diameters of the pre-LCI E60 halogen halos... any ideas?  My car's not handy at the moment (actually, just yesterday I put it on the RORO ferry from Italy to New Zealand), but I think the inner and outer rings are different sizes?

again I's say nt, I am running 7x 5050 SMD ultra's on a BA9s bayonet base they are not nearly as bright as the stock 10w oem bulb.

Hmm, it seems that after running for 6 months, this thread has finally gone quiet!  

In regards to coding the angel eyes as DRLs, does anybody know how to do this?  Would be much nicer than always having to flick the light switch to position 1, then remembering to turn it off again when leaving the car.  I found this thread - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1621740-Angel-eye-DRL-s-on-the-E60 - which suggests that I'll need an LM2 module?  If so, well, that just sucks....

Haha, ok.  I look forward to the storm then.

In other news, I'm still keen on cutting open my headlights and installing aftermarket LED rings.  I've found a guy in Ireland who's organised with Chinese manufacturing company to make a complete replacement set of halos for the E60 (ie. small full circle inner ring, larger half-circle outer ring) using the latest tech COB LEDs (rather than SMD) with 150+ LEDs per ring.  Should look as good as CCFL but loads brighter.  We shall see...

(I guess I'll just have to put up with flicking the switch to position 1, coz it's not worth a couple-hundred quid on a new LM2 module just to code these as DRLs!)

Hi Guys first ever post on the forum! 

I have been doing a little research on the Orion V4's and i really want them!  Only issue... pretty incompetent at cutting the headlights etc myself. Does anyone know someone who has/would be able to do the installation for me?

Thank You!

Sneaking on again!

I've noticed one of my headlights is semi-broken and there is slight condensation around the eyebrow occuring :shock:  "fixed" brackets also, so I might do abit of tinkering with said "broken" headlight when my LED goodies arrive from China (2375 day delivery!!) or get another and chuck it in and use the unit as a separate experimental unit..

Decisions decisions :blink:

After putting in the blue-ish cosmos as a temporary fix before some sort of HID upgrade I'm getting bored of the yellow Angel Eyes ( Pre-LCI Halogens)

^ :lol: nice one mick... Never been a fan of CCFL and the like... Definitely not worth the hassle chopping up the headlights and unlikely to be as smooth as the YouTube videos appear to make it look like !!

Those Orion v4 are led but yes once my heat sinks arrive and I can do this little test with the 10w fog light LED.

I will cut up my test light that is lci halogen and see how it goes .

I still think that MR Andy will have the best and brightest solution for the lci halogens the set up I'm doing I think will only be about 700-750lm but they claim 850-900