Doyal

My E28 Turbo project

Hello guys,

Have recently been rebuilding the engine on this thing.. I bought it off a guy on ebay with a blown stock headgasket, it now has a multi layer steel gasket, with ARP head studs. It runs on Megasquirt standalone engine management with a coil pack (Ford EDIS) instead of the distributor.

IMG_1830.JPG

The car is rough around the edges, however has had the structural weak spots welded and I will tidy up the rest in good time, I have M535i front & rear bumpers to be fitted, but the wide arches will be staying.

First start from this evening, I am looking forward to tracking it this summer!

I may convert the front end to an E36 subframe with a Z3 1.9 steering rack as I'd like a both a conventional rack and pinion setup, and speedy steering, I will definately need it!

Cheers,

Edited by Doyal

Good stuff! A topic to follow me thinks ;-)

Cool. Be interested to see how easy the e36 front end is as an r&p is a big want on mine.

Cheers Duncan,

I must admit, I have seen your name on pretty much every link I clicked when searching for E28 R&P modications!

Will let you know how I get on, may end up with the front end of a e36 sooner than I thought!

In my mind it should be pretty straight forward but thus far I can confirm that an e36, pug 205 and civic type r racks will not work with the existing layout.

The r rack is ideal but for the fact the electric assistance motor would be on the sump....,,

Cool track racer. Good luck in the summer :)

I do like the sound of a coil pack rather than a distributer. Far easier to change if it breaks down. 

Few bits today, fitted a walbro 255LPH fuel pump inside the tank, replaced the fuel filter and removed the "main" fuel pump from under the car. Also wired up some switches:

IMG_2047.JPG

One operates the fuel pump relay, the other a manual fan override, as it is currently wired up to the cold start sensor (via a relay) but that doesnt seem to be 100% reliable..... Might need a new sensor.

Was planning to get out at Llandow on 1st of June, but will give this a miss now.

Right then guys, it has now come to the point where I can focus on some external parts...

My car is a 528i, so had the "normal" front/bumper on it, and then has had a large front section fibreglassed on. This is being removed, and the 'm-tech' bumper put on...

See #2 ('Front Apron') on the below image,  I can see the obvious 4x bolts on the wings (#7) but what else? It feels very sturdy pushing down on it!

I dont really want to rip the fibreglass bumper off, so any help appreciated. Otherwise the angle grinder comes out!

3.png

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Doyal

Pull the lights out, and you will see a row of 10mm self tappers along the top

Prior to fitting the walbro, I googled for a few pics of an intank setup.. found nothing except a few for the E30 and E34. As the E28 is slightly different, here is the pikey setup!

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

The original feed line needs to be cut so the walbro will sit at the same level as the original pump. I think this was roughly 1cm.

You are able to utilise the original fuel pump hanger as the ground for the pump (same as stock) but you must bend it backwards, and curve it around. The 12v gets soldered to the original plug at the top.

Once you have done this, you can cable tie the pump to the return line to keep it steady. You will need to add a new jubilee clip to the rubber pipe, this is mostly to stop it falling off!

The reason this is very basic, and that cable ties were used instead of a jubilee clip is because the fuel tank hole is very small, and you need to keep everything tight.

It took a good hour or so acting like macgyver trying to figure out how to get it in there! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Edited by Doyal

Great project. I will be following this with interest :)

Still 10:1. I never did much research prior to buying/fitting the new arp studs & mls gasket, otherwise I would have aimed to go down the M30B35 route. I bought the car with the headgasket gone.. well, pushed out the side of the block/head, so hopefully the head studs and metal gasket last a bit longer!

Going to see how far I can get with 99oct & booster. Timing has been retarded slightly from factory, and when it runs into turbo pressure it is retarded massively.

No DET symptoms yet @ 0.5bar, Only going to 1bar of pressure for now. AFR is also quite rich, target of 12:1 @ 0.5bar and 10:1 at 1bar

Should hopefully get me near the 350bhp mark!