mickeyboy

Swiched Power Supply for coding?

If your doing just coding you don't really need a power supply, I have not used one at all. Providing the battery is in good condition it will last long enough to get done what you need to. Now programming is another story.

Not sure if what I want to do is classified as coding or programming, methinks probably the latter.

I am looking at using Progman to re-flash the Safety and Gateway Module. I understand that the re-flash alone can take anything up to 10 mins (provided that it is successful), that's not including reading all the ECUs and VO plus creating the measurement plan. So I might be on the battery for up to 15 mins, plus I don't know what current will be being drawn at any time throughout the procedure.

I've also been told that Progman will advise / tell you to connect a charger /power supply for this.

I would rather play it safe so any advice would be most welcome either on the procedure or a suitable power supply.

Progman won't let you update an individual module, it will scan ALL modules and produce a Measures Plan for a complete car update.

You can't deselect the ones you don't need.

Too many stories of bricked cars due to failed CAS updates.

Some modules can take up to 10 hours so if your measures plan has more than one module, you should reconsider using it.

WinKFP is used to update a single module (my blutooth module took 45 minutes to update)

Hi Chr1sgb,

Whilst I bow to your superior knowledge, a guy over on 5 Series.net says he has done this and he reckons you can select individual modules (once all have been determined) and it took him 8 minutes to re-programme his SGM using Progman.

I will have a look into using WinKFP, is it easy to use and can you point me at a good user guide?

Also, for a 10 hour stint I'm guessing you had to use a power supply, what did you use?

I didn't do the 10 hour one (CCC), I have only done the bluetooth module which took 45 mins.

WinKFP Guide

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1572349-How-to-use-WinKFP-for-programming

NCS Expert guide

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33054

The thread that scared me away from SSS Progman

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/no-dash-lights-after-trying-reprogramme-cas-sss-progman-t119463/

A bit more about updating which mentions the 10 hour for the Nav module

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1638296-Question-about-SSS-and-update-all-modules

I have been through the measures plan but although it implies you can pick and choose, it still vehemently insists on updating everything.

I am very interested if the individual modules can be selected though (progman is very simple to use).

There's an enormous amount to read up on regarding updating software but sadly very little help. You have to rely on google searches and hope someone else has already done it and made a guide.

Edited by chr15gb

Thanks for the info/links Chr1sbg, I will do some reading.

See below from the guy from the other forum in the US who gave me the guide below. We both have/had (he doesn't anymore) a 93f9 Restraint Error (Airbag) which in our case is a "Low Reserve Voltage" fault (according to DIS). He cleared his by re-flashing the SGM. 

First, WINKFP is A LOT faster than Progman but It is more dangerous if you do not know how to use it, so I try to stay away from it, and use Progman. Progman is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) and is friendly. I can most likely guide you on how to do it, so as you go along and have questions you can ask. The general steps are:

1) Connect the cable to the car and usb/computer. (Make sure your car can connect to Progman, ie: it is properly set up) Launch PROGMAN and turn the key to the accessory position (one before engine start.)

2) Once Progman loads up, on the bottom you will see a button called (New Session).Click it.

3) Next Highlight the interface: OPS1, and on the bottom right a button "Continue" will pop up, click it.

4) Enter a description for this session, I use things like "TEST" or "BMW" etc.

5)Next on the right select your model. 5 Series followed by E60/E61.

6)It will load the Vehicle Order and determine it. (Takes anywhere from 2-5 min, so be patient)

7) Once it loads, on the top you will see oval buttons. Select the Load SW option.It will ask have control units been replaced? You answer NO. It starts to determine the control units.

8) next on the right you will see ALL control modules your car is equipped with. So you scroll down until you see the SGM or ACSM . CLick it.

9) List of options appear on the right, you select PROGRAMMING. Followed by UPDATE SOFTWARE.

10) IT will say: Measurement plan is being determined. wait.

11) AFter it's done, it will show the plan. Look at the Old ECU part No and New ECU part no.Make sure they are either the same or the
new one is newer (You don't want to downgrade of course) Hit accept.

12) It will say a measurement plan has been created and accepted it will take X amount of minutes. (Mine took about 5-8 in total) Not too lengthy. Hit accept. It will warn you to connect a charger, hit next/continue.

13) You will see a remaining time period /progress bar on top, it might not seem like it is doing anything, but DO NOT interfere, just sit there until it finishes.

14) After its done, it will show you results , ie: pass or fail etc. hit FINISH.

15) Voila, you have updated/programmed your SGM Airbag Module, the light should be off. There are also other techniques but I suggest y
ou do this way/one first and see if your light goes off.

A side note: During the update process, you might get an extra error on the Idrive, I recieved a Cruise Contrl Malfunction and Traction Control Malfunction, your's might be different. It's okay. It will clear on its own after the update. If it DOES NOT clear, you have to manually clear it like any other code using INPA ( I hope you know how to do that. )

Hope this might be of some use.

I agree with everything posted...BUT...

11) AFter it's done, it will show the plan. Look at the Old ECU part No and New ECU part no.Make sure they are either the same or the new one is newer (You don't want to downgrade of course) Hit accept.

No problem with that, but when I did it, ALL the modules had newer software to upgrade. you can't simply select the single module you want to upgrade. You either accept the entire measures plan or cancel.

12) It will say a measurement plan has been created and accepted it will take X amount of minutes. (Mine took about 5-8 in total) Not too lengthy. Hit accept. It will warn you to connect a charger, hit next/continue.

I think it said mine would have taken about 20 mins. Bear in mind I have done my MULF module using WinKFP (which everone agrees is much faster) and it took 45 minutes.

I did post on some forums asking if there is a way to remove all the updated files for the rest of the modules leaving only the one I want to update.

This was in the hope my measures plan would only have the one entry but as SSS Progman runs within a virtual machine, it is not simple (not that I received any replies anyway lol).

From my experience, the people who use SSS Progman have fairly recent car software anyway so a lot of the modules are already up to date.

None of my cars modules have ever been updated (apart from my MULF) so it comes up with over 20 modules to update.

If you do find a way, please post back as I refuse to give my local main dealer £180 plus vat to update my M-ask unit when other garages do the whole car for about £100.

You may have stirred my curiosity to have another go with progman.

Edited by chr15gb

I am lucky enough to have a variable DC power supply and found out that with the ignition on engine not running to hold 14v my rectifier was outputting 10 amps