bradnic

30 pin bluetooth dongle with AVRCP 1.3 or greater for ID3 tag support?

2 hours ago, ian332isport said:

It's slow progress, but I finally got most of the surface mount components assembled over the weekend. Still got to fit a few surface mount components I forgot to order, and solder all the through hole stuff, but it's getting there.

Ian.

That looks pretty cool. Nice job! Would love to know how your testing goes once completed!

This looks rather interesting: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=328&cat=16&page=1

"The new Xcarlink Bluetooth Interface enables you to stream music from any smartphone, mobile device or tablet to your original factory fitted car radio/navigation system, while at the same time providing you with a Bluetooth handsfree solution. One of the major benefits of the Xcarlink Bluetooth interface is that it also incorporates AVRCP technology which also allows you to control your music via your radio or steering wheel controls. 

It is compatible with all popular mobile devices and Smartphones including Android, Windows mobile, Apple OS, Blackberry etc and is ready to use as soon as you enter your vehicle - no need to connect any cables to your device (except if charging is required )."

On 2016-04-25 at 2:42 PM, ian332isport said:

It's slow progress, but I finally got most of the surface mount components assembled over the weekend. Still got to fit a few surface mount components I forgot to order, and solder all the through hole stuff, but it's getting there.

Ian.

Ian, nice work. But what have you included there? You are using about 10 times the number of components that I'm using for my design. Looks like you might be doing something that will do more than just bridge between the iPod interface and Bluetooth...?

As for me, I'm slower than molass, but I have finished my design, and have all the components sitting in a cardboard box right now. I just need to solder it together and start running.

I'll post some picture when I have this soldered. Should be a couple of days before I have time to sit down doing that.

4 hours ago, Simon Neirinck said:

This looks rather interesting: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=328&cat=16&page=1

"The new Xcarlink Bluetooth Interface enables you to stream music from any smartphone, mobile device or tablet to your original factory fitted car radio/navigation system, while at the same time providing you with a Bluetooth handsfree solution. One of the major benefits of the Xcarlink Bluetooth interface is that it also incorporates AVRCP technology which also allows you to control your music via your radio or steering wheel controls. 

It is compatible with all popular mobile devices and Smartphones including Android, Windows mobile, Apple OS, Blackberry etc and is ready to use as soon as you enter your vehicle - no need to connect any cables to your device (except if charging is required )."

It connects to the CD changer port. Which means you have the sound, and you do have music control, but no track information or anything more fancy, and if you don't have a compatible CD changer port on the stereo, it's a no-go. :-( (Ie. it do not have anything to do with an iPod 30-pin port, even if you have one...)

Edited by bqt

4 hours ago, bqt said:

Ian, nice work. But what have you included there? You are using about 10 times the number of components that I'm using for my design. Looks like you might be doing something that will do more than just bridge between the iPod interface and Bluetooth...?

It has Bluetooth streaming from iPod, but includes an iBus interface, so it can be controlled from the steering wheel controls and headunit. Metadata is displayed on the radio like the intravee does. 

It it also has a DAB/FM tuner, microphone input for hands free phone, aux pass through, audio source switching circuitry and quite a lot of debugging connections.

I'm still writing code and testing things, but it's looking promising so far. In hindsight, I should have included a 30 pin dock connector to allow connection to the intravee, but I could probably hook one up for test purposes.

Ian.

An update from my endeavours so far.

To summarise, I'm trying to get the intravee to work with a bluetooth adapter and support AVRCP 1.3 in my Mini Cooper S - almost exactly like OP

I bought @timmyt'sTune2AirSucks (code & board here)

Also resolved an issue where the device wasn't getting enough power (KCA-420i power mod required as noted by @RichardP earlier in this thread. Incidentally, RichardP also very kindly performed the mod for me)

I can get the phone to pair with the T2AS but the Intravee doesn't recognise an ipod is connected.

The intravee still works with my iPhone wired in and I've tested the T2AS several times with an old ipod dock I have here at home. So each device works fine in isolation. 

Has anyone managed to get the T2AS code working with an intravee yet? What next steps would people recommend I take to try and find where the issue lies?

On 12/06/2016 at 2:21 PM, JCR53S said:

An update from my endeavours so far.

To summarise, I'm trying to get the intravee to work with a bluetooth adapter and support AVRCP 1.3 in my Mini Cooper S - almost exactly like OP

I bought @timmyt'sTune2AirSucks (code & board here)

Also resolved an issue where the device wasn't getting enough power (KCA-420i power mod required as noted by @RichardP earlier in this thread. Incidentally, RichardP also very kindly performed the mod for me)

I can get the phone to pair with the T2AS but the Intravee doesn't recognise an ipod is connected.

The intravee still works with my iPhone wired in and I've tested the T2AS several times with an old ipod dock I have here at home. So each device works fine in isolation. 

Has anyone managed to get the T2AS code working with an intravee yet? What next steps would people recommend I take to try and find where the issue lies?

Following on from this, I decided to take some logs.

In order to spot differences between what works and what doesn't I took a log from the T2AS while connected in my car vs an ipod Dock I have lying around (that works with the T2AS)

When connected to the car (with Intravee and Alpine KCA-420i) The log I got is here

When connected to my old iPod dock, the log I took is here 

Unlike when hooked up to the iPod dock, I never see a "got OK response" line when connected to the Intravee and KCA-420i.

I took an iBUS log at the same time as I was testing to the T2AS here

I can't really make any heads or tails of the iBus commands. Does anyone know of a tool or lookup I can use to make sense of them?

The big unkown now is why the Intravee doesn't recognise an ipod is connected and why the T2AS doesn't receive a response. 

Has anybody on this thread faced similar issues with their custom solutions?

Edited by JCR53S

I don't suppose anyone has made any progress on finding a bluetooth intravee solution? 

I seem to have tried every adaptor on Amazon in the hope of finding something that works, but to no avail. Unfortunately I lack the technical skills to build my own; I'm at a point now where I'd pay good money for a solution! 

2 hours ago, LeoE said:

I don't suppose anyone has made any progress on finding a bluetooth intravee solution? 

I seem to have tried every adaptor on Amazon in the hope of finding something that works, but to no avail. Unfortunately I lack the technical skills to build my own; I'm at a point now where I'd pay good money for a solution! 

Ashamed to admit that I've put in zero hours since my last update. I still have the schematics (done), components (in a box) and a breadboard for doing my prototype. All I need is some time to actually solder it together.

I also have the software working (at least in my test bench, using a plain laptop and adapters). Tested with my Becker Stereo in my car (30-pin connector), paired with both iPhones and Android devices. Browsing don't work well, but all other functions are fine. The problem with browsing is that Android do not support it at all, and iPhones are a bit too slow over bluetooth, meaning my stereo gives up getting lists before I actually can provide them. But for small folders, it's fine. The other problem I have with brossing is that the iPod interface looks at this more like a database, while the Bluetooth AVRCP interface looks at it like a file system. The differences cause problems. But this is still just for browsing. Playing, controling, and getting track info in general works without any problems. And both with build-in players and 3rd party players like Spotify.

So, I think that in theory, I have everything, and know everything I need. I just need to actually do it.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

My ideal setup is to be able to stream music from Spotify on my phone (android) through the Intravee. Music selection would be controlled from my phone rather than through the car controls. 

Are the schematics/software/list of components something you'd be able to share? Sounds like you might be close to a solution...

Leo

1 hour ago, LeoE said:

Hi Johnny,

My ideal setup is to be able to stream music from Spotify on my phone (android) through the Intravee. Music selection would be controlled from my phone rather than through the car controls. 

Are the schematics/software/list of components something you'd be able to share? Sounds like you might be close to a solution...

Leo

Leo, if you don't care about car control, or display of information in the car system, then pretty much any adapter should work for you. I've tested several, as I mentioned, and they all work, if that is all you look for. My reason for doing this is that I do want control from the car, as well as display of track information and so on, on the car system.

9 minutes ago, bqt said:

Leo, if you don't care about car control, or display of information in the car system, then pretty much any adapter should work for you. I've tested several, as I mentioned, and they all work, if that is all you look for. My reason for doing this is that I do want control from the car, as well as display of track information and so on, on the car system.

They don't work with the KCA-420i because the adaptor has to emulate an iPod to a reasonable degree, even if it does not allow browsing.  The Tune2Air does work, but it's unreliable, no other adapter I've found works at all.

9 minutes ago, RichardP said:

They don't work with the KCA-420i because the adaptor has to emulate an iPod to a reasonable degree, even if it does not allow browsing.  The Tune2Air does work, but it's unreliable, no other adapter I've found works at all.

Correct - I've tried about ten different adaptors of varying specification, and haven't had success with any of them. I didn't try the Tune2Air as I'd heard (on this thread) that it was unreliable. 

So is there a non-KCA-420i solution that still uses the Intravee? Would some of these adaptors work with the Switch for example? 

35 minutes ago, RichardP said:

I see. Yes, my experience with the Tune2Air is not good either. It's definitely not reliable. And for my use don't even work properly. The others are all worse.

Ok. I guess/suspect that my device might be a better option even for your use case then. If I only finish it...

Darn. 

What about using an old iPhone... Assuming iPhones work with the KCA-420i, what would prevent me from plugging an iPhone in and streaming music to that device, from another phone/tablet. The iPhone would essentially be a fancy bluetooth adaptor?

Sort of - If you have Spotify open on multiple devices, then you can control what is playing on one device from another device. So I could have Spotify running on the iPhone in the boot, and use my phone as a remote control in the cabin. 

It wouldn't work for phone calls (unless there's an app for it), although all I care about at this point is being able to stream music. 

Hi guys, I just joined because of this thread so I hope its not dead. I don't have a BMW but I am looking for exactly the same solution, my car has a 30 pin harness and I currently have a cheap 30 pin bluetooth adapter in it, it works fine for music but I would love to be able to skip tracks with my steering wheel controls if possible, and having the song data would just be a bonus. I hope you don't mind me following along as I don't think anyone else is trying to find a solution to this problem. 

I sent one prototype I made which was working with my car to JCR53S, but unfortunately he couldn't get it to work with his BMW intravee. If he doesn't want it anymore you might ask him if he would send it to you if you pay him for shipping. Otherwise I might have another prototype lying around I could send to you if you were willing to pay for shipping and materials. It worked with my car (a car that I no longer own) but unfortunately I cannot guarantee that it will work with your car ipod adapter. Try and look in the manual for your car ipod adapter and see it it says that it will work for older ipods; if it does then it is more likely that it would work.

Wow, I have been looking for this kind of thing for a long time, and just found this thread so had to register to post. :) I am not BMW related, but would love to have a way to take my iPod Classic 160Gb (upgraded to 320GB CF Card) and being able to use my headunit's bluetooth browsing feature with it.  This has been a long project, but I wonder if anyone has made any progress on it? I would definitely be interested!  I have seen so many pieces here and there, and even the other side, a strange Android app that tries to emulate the iPod on a serial connection, so it seems like this *should* be possible, just a small market so it hasn't been done?  Anyway, very excited and in awe of the hard work that seemingly has already been put into this here!

1 hour ago, n9yty said:

Wow, I have been looking for this kind of thing for a long time, and just found this thread so had to register to post. :) I am not BMW related, but would love to have a way to take my iPod Classic 160Gb (upgraded to 320GB CF Card) and being able to use my headunit's bluetooth browsing feature with it.  This has been a long project, but I wonder if anyone has made any progress on it? I would definitely be interested!  I have seen so many pieces here and there, and even the other side, a strange Android app that tries to emulate the iPod on a serial connection, so it seems like this *should* be possible, just a small market so it hasn't been done?  Anyway, very excited and in awe of the hard work that seemingly has already been put into this here!

That would be a very different thing to what I'm working on. You're basically looking for the exact opposite of that I'm doing.

I'm doing bluetooth to 30-pin connector. You are looking for 30-pin connector to bluetooth.

Both are certainly doable, but they are totally different things.

(And I have not done more than a couple of hours fiddling in the last year, so no real progress anyway.)

I'm still plugging away, but have pretty much abandoned the 30 pin connector. 

I've got browsing over AVRCP working really nicely, and have the option of streaming audio over Bluetooth, or using a wired connection for maximum sound quality through the lightning port.

controlling everything over the iBus works reasonably well, but constantly fighting with the factory radio for control of the display and buttons has slowed development. I've nearly finished hijacking the Business CD player front panel, and things should progress a bit easier now. I have direct control of all the buttons, and the entire display, so coding the interface should be easier now.

Ian.