cape4

ai net breakout box

On 21/09/2019 at 13:32, BarryM said:

After a bit more reading I think the PXA-H100 can accept a balanced output so is it worth trying to change the RCA inputs of the BOB to balanced RCAs and getting the 5v balanced output from the BM54?

Just wonder if I'm over thinking this, have you heard of anyone else having trouble with BM54 RCAs having too little output?

If the Intravee is not detecting the PXA all the time you have a connection issue, either AI-Net or power to the PXA which must be permanent live.

Volume from the PXA will be quite low when using RCAs from a BM54, but if you can compensate depends on the amps you have and their input sensitivity.

We’ve now got reliable sound from the system using the BM54 RCAs, BoB, PXA-H100 but with quite low volume and interference. If we try and take audio direct from the BM54 speaker outputs we no longer get interference but it only works direct into the Audison amp. I really want to use the BoB & PXA so if I got Baris to mod my BM54 to wire balanced RCA outputs from the speaker wiring could you make me up another BoB with balanced RCAs?

I’ve not seen anyone else do this but determined to try and get the PXA working with my new amp so hoping this makes sense and you think it’s doable.

The BoB is just a glorified connector, it has no components except for a board, 3 AI-Net sockets and 2 RCA sockets. 

I've found that with most amps and the H100 the output from the pre-amp of the BMW radio is too low which results in low volume and can have noise issues. 

The H800 has variable input levels and can take speaker level inputs directly, the H100 can't take speaker level input, and as the radio is set to full volume when connected to a DSP amp to minimise noise, I suspect the H100 just cuts out to protect itself.  The solution is to insert a Line Output Converter between the radio speaker outputs and the BoB, if you get a good quality one with variable gain you will have maximum control over the level going into the H100.  There seems to be the Audio Control LCi2 for £100+ or lots of cheap LOCs at <£10 and not much in between.