JimP

Outside Tyre Wear on Front

Hi All

Around five months ago I noticed the outside edges of the front tyres were showing a lot of wear.  The pressures are good so I suspected a tracking problem.  The car was taken to a local tyre dealer who I have used for 25 years to have the tracking checked.  They told me the tracking was fine and then said some tyres just seem to wear like that on some cars.  I carried on driving and of course came to the inevitable MOT fail in January.  The tyres were replaced and my local independent garage where I get my cars serviced checked the tracking for me.

Mike, the owner, said that technically the tyre dealer had been right when he said the tracking was fine - because BMW specify a 'range' of tolerance.  However the tracking was not spot on. I believe the rear wheels being slightly out of track may have also contributed. The tracking has now been set precisely,  and I'm hoping the condition will not recur.

I'm no technical expert but it might be worth checking this, particularly if you get wear on just one edge (so not linked to under-inflation).

Jim

Yes, they are run flats.  But I have had the car for a few years and the previous tyres had never worn like this.  Plus the very excessive wear was only on the outside edges.  I have read some posts on this forum that seem to suggest RFT have very stiff sidewalls which could lead to excessive wear on the edges - but this is likely to happen if the tyres were under-inflated and would affect both edges to some degree.  In my case the outside edges reached their wear limits well before the rest of the tyre.

My local garage may have this all wrong, but my post is just to advise anyone that notices this sort of wear pattern to consider having their tracking CAREFULLY checked.  I will report back when I have longer to observe the new tyres.

Jim

I have the same on both fronts, outside edge wear. I'm assuming the pressures are correct, however I'm never sure what to put in. I generally go by what's on the door pillar for unladen vehicle, I do drive it hard, my local tyre guy said its because of that and not tracking or inflation issue.

Some advice on tracking and tyre pressures all round would be gratefully received. I haven genuine 19" 172's with Contisports all round

I was under the impression that only certain places with the right equipment can properly align all four wheels of a BM ...???

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks in advance

Well, hard driving would do it...

Yes for a proper 4 wheel alignment you need someone with a Hunter or similar machine. And I guess if you drive hard, have the camber adjusted to the more negative boundaries of the BMW recommended range.

Edited by Tuvoc

Seems quite odd, because I thought most BMWs ran negative camber which results in the inside edge wearing.

Quite correct, -2 camber on the rear wheels, makes them sit an angle when the rear is unladen.

Well, hard driving would do it...

Yes for a proper 4 wheel alignment you need someone with a Hunter or similar machine. And I guess if you drive hard, have the camber adjusted to the more negative boundaries of the BMW recommended range.

What does the KDS system do ? any ideas, same as Hunter?

What does the KDS system do ? any ideas, same as Hunter?

From memory, that is the alignment you get at a BMW dealer, and yes similar to the Hunter.

My E60 is very badly worn on outside edges of both front, I'm sure it is the set up, BMW design the angle of the tyre for more  motorway driving so under speed they level out, I do more in Town, so they stay angled.

I've got a 2nd one e60. Rear tyres on previous and current wearing more in the middle ( pressure correct).

Front tyres , previous one more outside  , current one more inside.

This has happened to mine after a garage replaced the control arm and front coil spring on the near side. I suspect the camber had not been set after replacing the strut.