Necroscope

So was your F10/F11 as bad as feared in the snow?

I agree and i did :)

Surprised actually as eveyone on the road seemed to have their head screwed on this morning..........most strange.

What did surprise me though was trying to get the car to a complete stop!  There is a big of snow covered road on a decline that opens up onto a main road.  I have seen cars slip into this main road before now, so i approached at a crawl.  20m before the junction i aplied the brakes (gently), the result was the front wheels locking, but the brake bias didnt lock the rear and so the car continued to push forward.  Pressing the brake harder to lock the rear stops the car, but it was a very strange feeling.

The traction control works well when needed pulling the rear in line as required.

I haven't had snow but I think for any meaningful comparison we need to know what size tyres on on each car. I expect my 225/17‘s to be much better than a car riding on wide 19’s.

I've had some terrible moments driving BMW's in the snow/ice.

RWD's are diabolical in freezing conditions, but things changed for me after buying winter tyres.

They are expensive, but I cannot recommend them highly enough.

stuck some snow tyres on my wife's E91 after having a utterly terrifying experience a few years ago and it was like driving a completely different car. Totally stable, nary a skid or slid and i felt very safe. One of my German colleagues was utterly bemused by us Brits not putting snow tyres on our cars and then whining about German RWD cars!

Edited by Sandip69

Haven't taken her out on the road, around here absolutely no gritting and hills to get home whichever way I try. Just de-snowed her and bunged her in the garage where she should have been. Using SWMBO's Jazz on winter tyres without any problems. Unfortunately LR is in the shop, typical.

Cue gratuitious pic entitled "F11 under snow".

7749ED77-22FC-47DA-9A2C-3C1FA223BE1D-120

Edited by DSL

We've had proper snow here in Gloucestershire for a change.

NOTHING has got out of our cul-de-sac that has a steep uphill gradient. That includes a Nissan X Trail with 4WD.

That was until I tried this morning with Snow Socks on the BMW!!!!

Bloody amazing things, didn't slip at all.

Out on the main road lots of compacted snow but I took the socks off and the car was fine.

I suppose that's the benefit of only having 'tiny' 17 inch wheels.

Good luck all.

Absolutely no issues (MY2013 F11 520D Manual on standard rims). Drive according to the conditions and no slipping, sliding or wheel-spinning even when moving off or braking with a little gusto. Maybe it's down to the 5 month old Bridgestones.

The irony is that I've got a set of winter shoes in the garage but was waiting for prolonged periods of snow before fitting, looks like I may not need them now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used the dynamic traction control on the f10 yesterday, it worked really well, no wheel slip whatsoever on ice or snow. Interestingly as soon as I put it in reverse you remembered you were driving on the sloppy stuff! Guess it only works going forwards!

Quite impressed with the F10 all round, even the run flat tyres seem pretty good.

Newish summers will be ok to a point and will help you get going. The only thing really gripping on summers' is the tread blocks/pattern (the rubber is pretty much useless, which is why you can't stop, or even get going), so if your tyres are 5mm or less tread, you will struggle.

I was a total winter tyre sceptic. A colleague convinced me to give them a try and I have to say they are incredible. Seeing that german winters are largely similar to ours (tend to be only a bit colder form what I gather) they have laws that make you put winter tyres on and I can see why. I am surprised that we don't have the same laws in the UK, because it's not just snow and ice where they perform better, they are better even on a cold dry road, and much better than summers'  when it's damp and cold.

Like I say, if I can be convinced, then anyone can - you have to try them to believe it.

Even for people with 4x4's - they are much better at starting off on normal tyres, but you need decent grip to stop a 2 ton truck!

Just to give you an idea - around the corner is a traffic light on an uphill slope. It was taking ages to for cars to clear the lights. When I got to the front, I was off without any slipping at all - the only car to get away from the lights in 30 seconds whilst it was green.....probably the only one with winters' on.

Edited by Ratman

We've had plenty of snow here in the most southerly part of South Wales and I've not experience any adverse driving issues with the car. Driving to the conditions she started in a straight line stopped in a straight line didn't spin the wheels (never turned anything off) I guess that having an automatic helps if you keep the right foot under control.

My only wish is for better headlights cos having to wipe them over every few miles is something of a PITFA

The best bits of advice i can offer after struggling the last few days is to:

• Put the car into Eco Pro.  The dull throtle responce helps.
  • Buy some winter tyres when they are cheap in the summer like i will be doing.

Phil

On 19/01/2013 at 10:35, A900ss said:

We've had proper snow here in Gloucestershire for a change.

NOTHING has got out of our cul-de-sac that has a steep uphill gradient. That includes a Nissan X Trail with 4WD.

That was until I tried this morning with Snow Socks on the BMW!!!!

Bloody amazing things, didn't slip at all.

Out on the main road lots of compacted snow but I took the socks off and the car was fine.

I suppose that's the benefit of only having 'tiny' 17 inch wheels.

Good luck all.

Can I ask what brand you used?

During the beast from the east and the year before I was able to drive with no issues at all (just taking extra care) with my winters fitted. 

Pirelli sottozero's the first year and I think the last set were dunlop winter sports , this includes some pretty deep snow drifts on a and b roads 

My winters weren't much use in the Beast from the East last year.

DSCN3782.jpg

They were completely buried, lol, but after I dug it out they were great.

@dsgrnmcm, things will have moved on in the 6 years since this thread was started and they guy with the snow socks last visited over 4 years ago. Has a Google thrown up anything? I think most on here use winters or cross climates.

If you don't want to go down the road of full winters on another set of runs, the Michelin Cross Climates get a good reviews.

Cross Climates are all weather tyres rather than full winters.

I run Dunlop SP 225/55/17 full winters and they have been superb. In the 2nd "beast from the east" in March 2018 I drove back from Cardiff without a hiccup with the M5 having snow on all lanes. We live in the foothills of Peak District on a steep driveway - I would not be without them. They are brilliant also in the cold and wet with much better stopping distances and overall grip.

I have a set of genuine 18" alloys for sale at present if anyone is after a set of wheels to put winters on - only £360.

Edited by E39mad