RichardP

KCA-420i wake-up mod

So long as the battery has enough charge to run the iPod for about 30 seconds the older CPU mod should work.

The KCA-420i with the single wire mod would be better suited to the car that is used less frequently.

Morning all,

So my reason for signing up to this forum was to ask RichardP how much it would cost me if I wanted to get the mod done if I were to post him the board.

However, I just noticed that the car that I recently purchased, and was planning to use the Intravee in, doesn't have a 6 CD changer in the boot :(

I've had it all setup and working in my 04 plate 318 for many years now but wanted to move it to the new car. I'm quite surprised doesn't have the CD changer as it's much higher spec 05 plate 330 with the Harmon Kardon speakers. 

Can I still use the Intravee Setup somehow?

Have a look in the back of the car, under the amp/tv/phone module, the leads are sometimes wrapped up and tucked out the way.

All UK cars are pre wired for the CD changer, as above have a look around the left side top mount, you should find the 3 and 6 pin cables wrapped up in a bundle. If you find just a 3 pin cable, that’s NOT the right one!

If you send me the KCA-420i and a pre paid return envelope, there is no charge for the mod. PM me if you want to go ahead.

Edited by RichardP

44 minutes ago, RichardP said:

All UK cars are pre wired for the CD changer, as above have a look around the left side top mount, you should find the 3 and 6 pin cables wrapped up in a bundle. If you find just a 3 pin cable, that’s NOT the right one!

If you send me the KCA-420i and a pre paid return envelope, there is no charge for the mod. PM me if you want to go ahead.

I've just put the VIN number online to check the spec. It says: Preparation, BMW 6-CD Changer I-Bus so I'm guessing that the wiring will be there.

Thanks for the offer Richard. I'll also make a small donation to a charity of your choice as a thank you.

I'll send you a PM as soon as I've removed the kit from my existing car. I'm also looking if I need to update the firmware on the Intravee, it hasn't been updated for more than 7 years but it all works so not sure if there is any benefit.

Edited by Superbad

I know you have edited the post, but DO NOT PLUG IN A SINGLE 3 PIN PLUG TO THE INTRAVEE, YOU WILL BLOW ITS FUSE!!!!

BMW in their infinite wisdom use the same 3 pin plug for different things and wire it differently. The 3 pin plug in its own is some part of the phone system and the + and - are reversed compared with the CD change plug.  The CD change connections will be together in a foam backed cloth bundle, usually near the suspension top mount behind the boot trim panel.

Hi Richard,

I did plug in the 3 pin plug for the phone system but didn’t turn it on as I didn’t have the other connector.

I found the right connectors, plugged them in, all working now!

On 07/09/2015 at 11:45, RichardP said:

The wire is soldered to the left pad of capacitor position C209 (the capacitor itself is NOT installed on the board) which gives +5V and the bottom 'pin' of the transistor Q203. It is CRITICAL that the wire does not bridge the two pins on the transistor Q203.

You do not need to drill anything else except the via in order to prevent the main KCA-420i CPU from being back fed from the new wire.

As I always re-iterate, do not attempt this mod if you are not 100% confident you can do it, it is quite easy to ruin the KCA-420i if you use the wrong wire (multi strand), use a soldering iron with a bit that's too big or at the wrong temperature or just generally don't know enough about soldering small components.

It would seem that i have buggered my KCA-420i doing the wake up mod, The intravee now does not detect the ipod, if I plug the Ai-Net cd changer into the intravee it connects and works as it should, I dont think I had drilled the board enough :( Also I used a thin Multi strand wire too, should have read right through the posts before I had a go at it 

Edited by Adrian Eaves
missed a bit of text off original post

What type of iPod are you using?

Drilling the via is a safety measure, it may not be required and was just included to be very safe.  

Multi core wire on the size of components  is far more likely to cause problems, it is more likely to cause an unintended short and more likely to wick solder to parts you don’t intend.  Have you tried removing it and examining the solder points for excess solder?

I am using a Touch 3rd gen, Not Ideal but was only one I had, I also had a Airdual 100 arrive today so tried that too. but nothing works, I have just purchased another KCA-420i off Ebay.

I think I buggered up when I soldered onto the 5v terminal on the board. Not to much solder just to much heat

Think I will get this one modded by someone who has done it before :) 

Edited by Adrian Eaves
additional comment

I opened mine and noticed the wire mod was already in place.

But my ipod is never detected (Nano 4G) and its (bad) battery just runs out.

I thought this mod would keep the ipod awake and charged.

If all is working as it should then the mod will wake up the iPod.

Could you post a picture of the mod.

Not much to see. It looks the same as to the pictures at the beginning of this thread.

I did read somwhere in this topic (but that was a while ago) that it can't wake up/detect a dead ipod. 

When I just open the boot an check the ipod, it's dead. When I unlock the car, you can see the ipod starting up (Apple logo). But once ignition is off/car locked, the ipod battery runs flat.

I do have a 5V charge adapter. 

So the mod you have is definitely the single wire mod and NOT the mod with the small CPU? 

The behaviour you describe is what I would expect from the CPU mod. 

I’d still like to see a picture of your board, I might see something that you do not think important.

Never even hear of the CPU mod. I only read about the wake-up mod and saw the single wire you have to solder in. 

I opened mine and there it was, just a wire soldered to the exact same points as instructed.

If I open it up again I will take a pic.