zafonic

BMW owners hit by hi-tech theft

I got a call from bmw today regarding my e90 320d, they've told me I should hear from the dealer within in the next few days to arrange the fix. So it's not just the e60 range that's being done at the minute

I got a call from bmw today regarding my e90 320d, they've told me I should hear from the dealer within in the next few days to arrange the fix. So it's not just the e60 range that's being done at the minute

What year is your E90?

I called my local dealer yesterday and they have booked my car in for next Friday for upgrade. So it's best to give your local dealer a call they have already got the updates.

Just phoned Sytner Sunningdale and spoke to the Service Manager. He said that the fix has just been released to the dealers and they will be contacting customers from next week...but I can make an appointment now if I wished.

Got it booked in for Tuesday 20th for the 90 minute while-u-wait.

Copied from the other thread.....Just got this text from a mate that's a mechanic at BMW

vu8a6ynu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk watch out for autocorrect!!

Edited by Aaron_P85

Currently waiting at steelers for my car to be taken in sipping on on of their green teas!!!

What Aaron said is correct, I asked what they will do under the 'security patch' as they call it, just will disable the windows to open with key blade.

Now, does anyone know how this will disable the ability of 'teevs' to do what they have been doing???

I can't figure it out

Currently waiting at steelers for my car to be taken in sipping on on of their green teas!!!

What Aaron said is correct, I asked what they will do under the 'security patch' as they call it, just will disable the windows to open with key blade.

Now, does anyone know how this will disable the ability of 'teevs' to do what they have been doing???

I can't figure it out

The theives have to get in somehow to be able to plug in their box of tricks.. it seems they do it via this feature by inserting something into the drivers door lock and keeping it held to drop the windows down (like when you keep the unlock button pressed on your key it will open all your windows).. Once done, the theives monopolise on a blind spot that the ultrasonic alarm sensors don't monitor.. Or, so it seems..

Remove that function and it prevents theives accessing the OBD port without the alarm being triggered.. I am planning on disabling the OBD port after the update as well..

Edited by tej

Can you enlighten me on how you planning to disable the OBD port???

The crudest way would be to pull the pins out.. but the plan is to cut the power and install a switch hidden away so its easy to switch back on in case it needs to go anywhere for a diagnostic etc.. If you google it there are plenty of instructions available :)

Can you not just take the permanent live away and run a switched live from the ignition to the port? So the port will only have power when the ignition is on?...should be done as standard anyway

Copied from the other thread.....Just got this text from a mate that's a mechanic at BMW

vu8a6ynu.jpg

hm but that won't work for post-lci? They need to disable the key blade doing anything (i've de'locked the drivers door) as post lci they need to get the drivers door open to access the odb port, pre-lci they don't.

Disable the key blade?

Tell me how you'd get into the car with a flat battery...

err where is the battery? And what has a lock ? ;)

I can understand now how they can break in. If you put something into key lock on the door and force it open, although it may not unlock the door it may activate the switch which allows the windows to be wound down, so then you can lean in and plug your device into the OBD2 port and program a new fob, which will then overcome the alarm

I can understand now how they can break in. If you put something into key lock on the door and force it open, although it may not unlock the door it may activate the switch which allows the windows to be wound down, so then you can lean in and plug your device into the OBD2 port and program a new fob, which will then overcome the alarm

but as i said earlier, with ->57 and on cars you need the door open to get the flap open on the ODB port?

My OBD port is down in the foot well, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to open it with the door closed? Mines an 07 LCI as opposed to a 57onward though.. (so I have the LCI shizzle but the two disc satnav, not hdd)