XKaLiBaR

Looking to buy a perfectly spec'd e39?

Been looking at facelift 5 series, and there really isnt much out there.

Is this quite common nowadays?

The must specs are as follows:

-OEM Sat Nav

-Heated seats

-Comfort seats

-530d

-Back folding seats

-Sport

-Silver, black, grey, imola.

-Below 100k miles if possible.

-Interior, not too fussed, as long as its not ripped. Leather obviously.

-Not fussed manual or auto, but would prefer manual.

Logic 7, or is this a 7 series thing only? As we have just finished our upgrade kits for these units.

I cant even find a non sport and different coloured one.

If anyone knows or sees one, it would be great if you point me in the right direction :)

Edited by XKaLiBaR

Avoid OEM satnav unless you have deep pockets to have it fixed when it goes wrong, or are a persistent sort and handy with a soldering iron. It's also a seriously dated unit now, and while it looks quite tidy in wide screen format, tbh you would do much better fitting an higher spec modern aftermarket unit

Avoid OEM satnav unless you have deep pockets to have it fixed when it goes wrong, or are a persistent sort and handy with a soldering iron. It's also a seriously dated unit now, and while it looks quite tidy in wide screen format, tbh you would do much better fitting an higher spec modern aftermarket unit

Baris is the man that can with BM54's Tim!

Logic 7 is an E60 5 series thing mate, next generation.

The best spec'd E39's are generally M5's.

There is the odd 540 or 530d out there with everything on it but be prepared to wait for the best ones to come up.

Meh, fixed my own ;) but the display/controller is acting up a bit now...

Got all the bits to replace it with an single din flip out Alpine unit, complete with reliable changers and ipod controls. Just not the time and the inclination to sort out all the wiring!

Anyway, knowing what I know now I'd be looking out for the same spec car as I have now, but a manual without Nav.

To be honest under 100k miles only matters on Autos so you can be sure the box can be serviced and saved before it's too late (as I learnt to my cost)

If you buy a 530d I would suggest the first thing to do is (if auto) check that the swirl flaps have been deleted, then change the oil breather from a bog roll filter to vortex separator type, make sure all the vacuum pipes show no signs of perishing (age is more of a problem than mileage) and perhaps take the turbo off and separate the hot side from the cold to give the VNT system a de-coke. Then you have the joys of bushes and dampers to face!

I am the no1 guy in the world for upgrading and repairing these units, thats why I want it in my everyday car, so I can have all my upgrades that i have done for 100s of people, in my own car! The m3 doesnt get driven much, so I cant enjoy it.

Stuck with a £700 dynavin in my 320d touring, which has lost radio signal, ipod cable stopped working, and almost made me crash, whilst i was trying to adjust the bass and treble!

Baris is the man that can with BM54's Tim!

Logic 7 is an E60 5 series thing mate, next generation.

Damn, I do like the e60 shape, but I really want an e39, as they just look so slick, where as the e60 is more a overweight version. Another problem with the e60, is that there are quite a few versions, from the ibus system, with the navigation in the boot, business navigation, and 3 versions of the idrive.

The best spec'd E39's are generally M5's.

There is the odd 540 or 530d out there with everything on it but be prepared to wait for the best ones to come up.

Yea, i noticed! Dont think the wife would let me have an m3 and an m5 lol. Also, I do not fancy firing up the m5 just to go 1 mile journeys.

I wouldn't say comfort seats are part of the best spec for a E39, IMHO sports seats are better, contours better again if you can find and retrofit and the very rare Recaro's at the top of the tree. Similarly I would profer that a lot of Alpina's are as well equipped as M5's, especially some of the V8 and V8S cars where cost evidently wasn't much of an issue for the original purchaser.

A Recaro equipped B10 V8 slipped through ebay last week without meeting it's reserve....

And very few wives would know what the Alpina badge meant ;)

Edited by sharkfan

I wouldn't say comfort seats are part of the best spec for a E39, IMHO sports seats are better, contours better again if you can find and retrofit and the very rare Recaro's at the top of the tree. Similarly I would profer that a lot of Alpina's are as well equipped as M5's, especially some of the V8 and V8S cars where cost evidently wasn't much of an issue for the original purchaser.

A Recaro equipped B10 V8 slipped through ebay last week without meeting it's reserve....

And very few wives would know what the Alpina badge meant ;)

FFS, how many different seat options are there??? Recaro!! Got any pics? I have recaro's in my M3, that are very comfy. I saw the comfort seats in a guys 5 series the other day, and i just liked the fact that you can move to top part of the seat, for back support.

Contours? I guess, I cant be too picky with the seats. As long as the heated seats and rear folding seats are there, the rest can be retrofitted quite easily.

M5 spec cars right there

yes the E39's did come with logic 7. I had it in my M5

Hmmmmmm, interesting. I wonder if it is the same logic 7 amps????

If it ain't got double glazing it ain't worth looking at ;)

E39s did not come with Logic 7 - the top stereo was known as DSP. I've got it and it sounds pretty good, but it does make fitting anything aftermarket more difficult. M5s could option something called M-Audio which is essentially the same as DSP but with different speaker placement and better subs.

Seat options other than the basic seats are Sport (more supportive bolsters and extendable thigh support - available in manual or electric with memory) or Comfort (extra backrest articulation, thick comfy headrests you can actually rest on, electric lumbar support - electric with memory only). I've got Comforts and love them - prefer them to sport seats. The E38 7-Series had an option known as Contours which combines all the features of both Sport and Comfort seats and are awesome. They fit in an E39 and a few lucky people have done so. There are also the M5 specific Sports seats which have a different design to standard Sport seats and include electric lumbar support. I'm not sure what sharkfan is talking about with the Recaro seats - maybe the M5 seats? I've never seen a B10 with anything other than standard Sport seats or Comfort seats. Depending on the options/Individual options, different leathers can be used and they can have piping.

Heated seats are disappointingly rare in the UK market, so you might have to retrofit like I did. Heated rears were never an option but you can also retrofit if you're crazy enough (I will be soon)!

If you are looking for a Touring they all have folding rear seats. If you want a saloon, sadly folding seats are a spectacularly rare option :(.

OEM nav is OK if you find the right car and it happens to come with it, but it is like using a 10 year old computer system because it is a 10 year old computer system! :)

Other cool options include rear and side blinds, extended leather (centre console and door pulls) and the best, and probably rarest, E39 option of the lot - complete leather (absolutely everything is leather!!).

All the good stuff much easier to find on the V8s or M5, but 530ds can also be well equipped. Good luck searching.

I am the no1 guy in the world for upgrading and repairing these units, thats why I want it in my everyday car, so I can have all my upgrades that i have done for 100s of people, in my own car! The m3 doesnt get driven much, so I cant enjoy it.

Stuck with a £700 dynavin in my 320d touring, which has lost radio signal, ipod cable stopped working, and almost made me crash, whilst i was trying to adjust the bass and treble!

Ah, so you know the pitfalls well then ;) As for the Dynavin, the only thing they seem to have sorted as far as I'm concerned are the looks...for the price it retails for I'm amazed that any have sold!

When I got my car, (4 years ago today as it happens!) it was pretty much what is your ideal spec, except mileage and an auto. An '02 530D M-Sport touring auto, silver with black leather, widescreen Nav, 145k miles and all of £5k. All that were missing were Xenons, the Harman-Kardon 'upgrade' and contours. I am the third private owner, it was originally a dealer demonstrator.

So 4 years and 40k miles on and it's not all what you'd call been plain sailing, for me the biggest issues have been the gearbox failure (hence my comments about autos) and a botched bodywork job performed at some point in a previous owners hands.

All covered in here

Wooooah! Never seen those Recaros before. An Alpina only option, I'm guessing? Very E60 M5 - love it, although I'm not sure about the switches or the back panel - looks a bit like they don't belong. Cool option though. I found a clearer pic if anyone's interested...

fhqB5.png

Here is B10 V8 that went through ebay last week with Recaro's - I thought it hadn't met reserve and was unsold but it seems the seller ended the auction early.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1e71b3a0af&item=130756616367&nma=true&pt=Automobiles_UK&rt=nc&si=Qd3yqPahDSkyhQFKuwFvhH9w3Bc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1722wt_1194

And here...

http://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=3989&nmt=B10-V8-456

FWIW I would rather have sports over comfort seats but Contours or Recaro's over either.

Lumbar supports sometimes came with comforts but not always; hardly ever on sports seats but can be retro-fitted; M5 had sports seats with different leather patterning to the rest of the range but had lumbar supports fitted.

I agree with above discussion regarding Logic 7; never seen it on an E39 but DSP was fitted to a lot which when set up correctly sounds brilliant - it also sounds better when some better subwoofer system is added, especially to the Tourings.

As for the Sat-Nav system I have the Mk IV DVD system in my Alpina B10 V8 Touring from 2001; it has full postcode entry, is easy to use, never freezes and I have no problems whatsoever with it.

DSP was not the top audio available as you could order the Individual Audio System which is what AndyRan may have had in his M5.

The biggest ask on your list is folding rear seats for a saloon imho.

Good luck.

DSP was not the top audio available as you could order the Individual Audio System which is what AndyRan may have had in his M5.

Good luck.

What is this audio system of which you speak?

Good luck.

Its such a must have IMO, in any saloon ffs. Why on earth this isnt standard is beyond me. All 3 series coupes have this as standard.....It really defeats the objective of buying a big car.

On the e90s, there is retrofit that you can get this done, is it the same with the e39, or are you stuck?

I really do not want a touring again, even though I have had many many uses for it, the last few years lol.

Some one in the USA has done it. I expect if you find a breaker you could get every single part you need and be able to cut exactly where needed